wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DreamcastRIP

Re: wii U

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:05 am

adippm82 wrote:... and as Dreamcast posted, Pikmin 3 certainly will not, I love the series, but they sold in small numbers before, despite their undoubted brilliance
Yep. All these people presuming the release of Pikmin 3 will see a dramatic surge in the console's sales. It won't happen. *

* unless said deluded Ninty cheerleaders are foolish enough to quote percentage sales figures in the desperate hope we'll be duped, e.g. an 80% sales increase on f*ck all is still f*ck all!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 am

I think NSMBU is selling quite well considering it's a game for a console that hardly anyone's got; around 2 million copies sold for less than 2.5 million Wii U consoles out there seems a pretty good ratio at any rate.

The problem is that it's pretty much the only system seller, apart from the bundled Nintendoland, at the moment. The third party line-up simply isn't cutting it, so Nintendo will have to come up with the games themselves for it to turn the corner.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Ninty president Satoru Iwata has spoken! :o
With Wii U, we have taken a rather resolute stance in pricing it below its manufacturing cost, so we are not planning to perform a markdown.
You may not be planning to but you're gonna have to soon! Didn't we hear the same thing about 3DS too...
I would like to make this point absolutely clear.
Expect a price cut soon then.
We are putting our lessons from Nintendo 3DS to good use, as I have already publicly stated.
Yeah, because whereas 3DS launched with no decent games plus a rehash of Zelda things were completely different for the Wii U launch whereby we you gave us the offline-only Nintendo Land plus a rehash of Mario.
What about those lessons from the GameCube launch where no proper Mario game was present? Ninty don't seem too good at learning lessons!
Talking of lesson learned from 3DS, why does the GamePad have a poor battery life too then?
However, given that it has now become clear that we have not yet fully communicated the value of our product,
Comedy gold! I'm sure many of us wait with bated breath to hear of this mysterious 'value of their product'!
we will try to do so before the software line-up is enhanced
Good luck with that, Iwata. I'm sure millions of folk will cherish being educated as to why those below par ports of PS360 games are worth buying. Paying more for less. Interesting marketing proposition there.
and at the same time work to enrich the software line-up which could make consumers understand the appeal of Wii U.
The least we should expect your company to do then. Implicit in that statement is that Ninty have failed to 'communicate the appeal of Wii U' so that's another fail then.
We delivered Wii U to those consumers who we thought would be the first to buy it,

No sh1t Sherlock!
but information has not successfully been passed on to those consumers who we think will be the next people to buy it.
Ah, so he's heaping the blame on Ninty's marketing people again. Yep, better to blame it on the poor saps in marketing rather than admit to the myriad real mistakes Ninty has made thus far with Wii U.
People always try to compare the sales of Wii U with that of Wii,
How bad of them! People comparing sales of a public limited company's latest product to that of its predecessor? Who'd have thunk it! How unreasonable of them!
but the current situation is requiring us to focus upon how to re-energise Wii U sales irrespective of any comparisons with the previous platforms.
Indeed it is. Let's not have any more of those naughty people such as your company's investors mention how shambolically you're handling the new product.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -price-cut

Yes, I make those comments partly in jest but even so!! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:09 pm

You're being overly nice to Nintendo there, as the 3DS was launched with Pilotwings Resort and Nintendogs+Cats as the only first party games in the line-up; the Ocarina remake didn't arrive until three months later. Desultory though the Wii U launch line-up might seem, I'd think it's actually a considerable improvement over that!

Anyway, in other news, they seem set to turn a profit again this year, so perhaps they'll invest some of it into getting some decent games out?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:27 pm

Matt_B wrote:You're being overly nice to Nintendo there...
Stranger things happen at sea! :lol:

Keeping with the positive vibe I've today seen it rumoured that Sniper Elite V2 is coming to Wii U this May.

Given the nature of the game there's the possibility of the GamePad working well as a sniper scope. Not that I'll be getting it because I downloaded the PC version for less than a tenner not long ago. This appears to be a recurring theme of my Wii U experience thus far, i.e. buying the PC version of multiformat game releases instead largely because the games are mostly better and always cheaper to buy on PC. I knew that'd be the case before buying a Wii U of course. I just wish there were more (some!) Wii U games on the horizon that appear to offer novel GamePad integration that benefits the gameplay. Must have patience...

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... line-shops

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:32 pm

Sorry, but the days of releasing brand new hardware but the same old games onto it (in the hopes it'll fly off the shelves) is fast reaching its end.

Sony & Microsoft take note: Thinking you can release Xbox 720 with Halo 5 (and the hopes of it vomiting off the shelves in speed) may not be quite what will happen.

Things change. Gamer's tastes evolve.
We can't be force-fed the same crap all day long and not be expected to get full.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Freestyler wrote:Sorry, but the days of releasing brand new hardware but the same old games onto it (in the hopes it'll fly off the shelves) is fast reaching its end.

Sony & Microsoft take note: Thinking you can release Xbox 720 with Halo 5 (and the hopes of it vomiting off the shelves in speed) may not be quite what will happen.

Things change. Gamer's tastes evolve.
We can't be force-fed the same crap all day long and not be expected to get full.
Unfortunately, that's the complete opposite of what the market is telling us. You can look at pretty much all the top selling console games of last year and they're nearly all sequels: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Pokemon B/W2, FIFA 13, assorted Mario games, Just Dance 4, Assassin's Creed 3, Mass Effect 3, etc. Developers and publishers are loathe to take risks because they know risks will more than likely flop.

Now, perhaps the whole console market will suddenly implode, and we all know it's been shrinking every year since 2008, but I wouldn't even expect that to change things much given the amount of derivative dreck you got to pick through to find an original idea on Windows, iOS or Android too. The average gamer's tastes are very bland; this was always so and probably always will be.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:44 pm

Well this is all doom and gloom, might as well find another hobby :) No price cut then, but bundling in a few games isn't out of the question, nintendo land really should be free with the console. I'll still pick a wii u i think but they sure are making it difficult.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 pm

Might finally peel the cellophane of Zombi-u tonight.
Heard you spent most of the game using this as ammo is so short.

Going to keep the console as the wife bought me it for christmas and will wait for Zelda, Mario (proper) and Kart which the kids will either enjoy playing or see me play. I'm playing Far Cry 3 at the moment (on 360), a great game bought for £25 new so I have no need to pay more for games on the Wii that are about the same. When some proper innovation comes around I'll get my wallet out again.

Oh, are Wii pts and Wii-U pts the same thing?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm

sscott wrote:Might finally peel the cellophane of Zombi-u tonight.
Try playing the game with the lights switched off. Scary!
Oh, are Wii pts and Wii-U pts the same thing?
Nope. They're presently two separate things which can't be combined. Wii points can only be used on Wii U via the console's Wii mode. Wii U uses real money in its eShop just like on PSN for PS3/PSP/PSV rather than a daft points system like XBLA and Wii. You can't 'convert' Wii points to their monetary value to be used on Wii U's eShop. Yep, another irritation of Wii U...

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 pm

adippm82 wrote:Nintendo should be worried if a long standing customer of over 22 years is not interested in their product, and I would put money on it that I am not alone
No you're not alone, I've been a die hard Nintendo lover for 15 years and despite being curious about the Wii U I'm nowhere near taking the plunge, the only game that interests me is ZombiU and it feels very much like the console is missing bits, like the VC, and is not capturing the public's imagination. Console power and graphics and stuff I put no stock in, as I maintain that the if the games are good enough then power is irrelevant (plus the 'next generation' will be a step rather than a leap up). But overall there's nothing enticing me to go and spend £300, there's still loads of great games from this generation to play as it is.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

Evander

Post by Evander » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:42 pm

Similarly I couldn't wait for Zombi U to arrive and yet a week later I still haven't opened up the case. That must change this weekend.

I'm not enjoying all the negativity around Nintendo / Wii U but I still remain optimistic that my modest Nintendo-related gaming requirements will be fulfilled throughout 2013 in the shape of Mario Kart U and a couple of other truly original releases. Here's to hoping.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:54 pm

Not sure when 2D Mario games stopped being "proper" Mario games. :wink:

Anyway, Nintendo's bottom line and the Wii-U gaming experience are two different things, obviously related but different.

Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, and Bayonetta 2 might not be massive sellers, but people are looking forward to these games because they believe they are likely to be good, not popular.

I think it's good that Nintendo are making these sorts of games available, despite not being bankable commercial sucesses, so I'm not going to then use that as a stick to to bash Nintendo with over share prices which don't even directly effect me. If Nintendo's sales suffer because they made Pikmin 3 for me, then I guess I apreciate them for taking the hit. Good for them. :)

Yes I appreciate good console and game sales inspire sequels, fund future games/consoles, encourage third party devs etc. and obviously a profitable Nintendo is preferable, but the problem is out and out profitability isn't necesarily in the gamer's best interest either. In order to get a niche game like Pikmin 3 you probably have to expect a Mario Kart sequel. The tried and tested profitable IP's probably allow the risker ones their chance, but if Nintendo only cared about their profitability you probably would't even get Pikmin 3.

At the moment Nintendo seems to be in a relative financial downturn but ultimately all that matters to me is that Nintendo sustain themselves and continue to make games I like, if they do that I'll judge them on the games rather than sales and share prices.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:44 am

Hmmmmmmmm

I get the feeling DreamcastRIP will have a field day with this news.......

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-ha ... y-revealed

:lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:55 am

markopoloman wrote:Hmmmmmmmm

I get the feeling DreamcastRIP will have a field day with this news.......

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-ha ... y-revealed

:lol:
An interesting read and thanks for the heads-up!

The part that most stood out for me was,
While the general capabilities of the Wii U hardware are now beyond doubt, discussion will continue about how the principal processing elements and the memory are interfaced together, and Nintendo's platform-exclusive titles should give us some indication of what this core is capable of when developers are targeting it directly.
Ultimately the article confirms what most already knew. Namely that the CPU is a further evolution of the GameCube's CPU :shock: and that the GPU is more capable than that of of PS360. Nintendo's first-party games aside it will be interesting to see how many games publishers bother to put sufficient hours/resources in to PS360 ports and, later on, pared down next-gen PlayStation/Xbox game conversions so to exploit Wii U's hardware, i.e. optimising code to lean less on the weedy CPU and more on the half-decent GPU. I suspect Wii U will see plenty more PS360 ports of varying quality during these next couple of years.