wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowNeku

Re: wii U

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 am

thevulture wrote:
Too cloudy down here last night to check the skies, but full moon at moment or what?.

Forum going in such cycles surprised the N64 being good/bad has'nt cropped up.
I might make a thread

"N64. The greatest console of all time. FACT.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:46 am

thevulture wrote:Anyway...The Wii U then:

Any current thoughts, anyone?...any new demo's or titles annouced of interest?.

Any thoughts on how mauling of Ninja Gaiden 3 on current formats might effect the platform (as game seen to be sign console was aimed at 'hardcore' gamer as well as lighter user), will Wii U get 'enhanced'/overhauled version, or straight port?.

Please, someone, anything related to the thread topic, please...
I'd think that at least part of the problem is there's not really that much to talk about yet. Most of the rumoured launch titles seem a bit ho-hum, although I'd hope that Ninty have learned their lessons from the 3DS and will be wheeling out a couple of their biggest franchises for the launch. Yes, there's going to be a Super Smash Bros sequel, but that'll also be for the 3DS.

It'll probably make a better ports machine than the Wii did, and even if more powerful consoles are launched it should still remain vaguely competitive as it's going to be just about within the baseline spec for PC games for a couple of years at least.

CaptainN

Post by CaptainN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:48 am

ShadowNeku wrote:
thevulture wrote:
Too cloudy down here last night to check the skies, but full moon at moment or what?.

Forum going in such cycles surprised the N64 being good/bad has'nt cropped up.
I might make a thread

"N64. The greatest console of all time. FACT.
Maybe not ( the controller was an issue for me and many people ) the greatest console, but certainly home to some fantasitc games, and a few all time greats.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:13 am

Matt_B:Yep, i seem to be reading more 'news' stories on next Xbox than Wii U these days. Lot's of sites saying this, that and the other developer placing ads to recruit for 'Next Generation games', wanting coders, artists etc.

But no-one seems to know which platforms they are for:Vita? Wii U? PS4? Xbox Next? all of these.

Still i'd rather see some speculation and debate on that speculation than some of the stuff that cropped up in last few pages here and else where....

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Forthcoming THQ sequel Darksiders 2 is a Wii U launch title, developer Vigil has revealed.

Speaking in an interview with DigitalSpy, lead designer Hayden Dalton announced the game will be available on Wii U from "day one".

What's more, it'll boast a number of features unique to Nintendo's new home console.

"It's basically the core game, but then with added abilities to do certain things that you can't do on the other consoles," he explained.

"One of the things that we did, when we were originally going to show it off [at E3 2011], was that you could equip stuff directly. So, for instance, I could be running along and I could click on another piece and I could put it on as I'm running through the game.

"That's huge. It's not breaking up the game in a way, I'm not going into a menu and assigning it, I'm literally just tapping as I'm playing.

"We're not basically heavily changing the core game to support the control system, but the control system will be an enhancement of the core game."

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Really tried to love original Darksiders on PS3-Closest thing i'd played to Soul Reaver this gen.but controls on 1st Boss fight did my head in, ended up giving game to Shinobi, so am curious to see how Wii U controls on sequel differ from other versions.

:lol: And...knew i could find a Wii U story if i looked hard enough (not as in..Did you spill my pint/mysel looking 'ard...but searched main news sites.)

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:50 pm

They better think of some better uses for the touchscreen than that if they expect anyone to buy a 6 month old game that will probably be about £15 on PS3/360 by the time wii U launches.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 pm

People are excited for Wii U? I thought everyone had simultaneously written it off :lol:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:23 pm

'Ghost Recon To Have DLC For Wii U
A developer working on Ghost Recon Online revealed the game will have a load of downloadable content including ‘Ghost Coins’ which would be used to unlock content. It is believed Ghost Coins will be able to be purchased as well as earned by players.
The developer also mentioned that the Wii U controller will allow players to hot-switch weapons and gear between respawns.'

Hmmmn.so far, not really seeing developers using Wii U controller for anything that 'great', early days yet though, early days.

As for the ghost coins..ohhh great, another game that'll just let you buy yourself better, rather than earn it, if that's what you want.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:25 pm

Gotta have some speculation:A neogaf member reveals some information on the Wii U controller (N.B None of this is fact, just
claimed.) 
720p appears to be the ‘sweet spot’ for the definition of games running intensive visuals on the Wii U controller
Wii U controller can handle 480p (Considering the 6.2? screen, this may not look that different from what you see on TV)
Wii U controller can be used for viewing of on-TV action from a different angle in games
There are some third party games using this for a game play advantage
V5 dev kit is more powerful than V4, but doesn’t allow for 1080p in these kind of situations
Games will benefit from a slight visual boost over current-gen HD systems and may run at a higher resolution
Simpler titles may be able to run 1080p in conjunction with the controller

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Rayne wrote:People are excited for Wii U? I thought everyone had simultaneously written it off :lol:
:wink: Now Mootown has sadly left, C=Style no longer post's, who's going to keep the Nintendo interest going?

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:29 pm

thevulture wrote:Really tried to love original Darksiders on PS3-Closest thing i'd played to Soul Reaver this gen.but controls on 1st Boss fight did my head in, ended up giving game to Shinobi
Shame you didn't stick with it, gets better and better as you get deeper and acquire more weapons/abilities. That first boss fight is pretty pants though!

Still clutching at straws that Nintendo will pull a new F Zero out the bag*

*will never happen...

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 pm

It was that fireball spitting bat thing, you had to pick up bombs, throw them, then charge your spinny disc weapon up, ignite it, then lock onto her.

Fine except A)I'm utterly useless at this stuff and B) (the killer for me) every damn time i died (which was many a..) i had to sit through the introduction to the fight sequence.Assume it's done to hide loading, but gawd..really should be skippable so you can just get straight back into the fight.

New F-Zero...never say never.... a reboot of Wipeout (after PS2 Fusion) did wonders for Sony on PSP/Vita/PS3, back to being a flagship franchise, so interest still high in the future racer genre.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:13 am

thevulture wrote:
Rayne wrote:People are excited for Wii U? I thought everyone had simultaneously written it off :lol:
:wink: Now Mootown has sadly left, C=Style no longer post's, who's going to keep the Nintendo interest going?
:lol: Fair enough

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:46 am

Rayne wrote:
thevulture wrote:
:lol: Fair enough
:lol: I'll volunteer to take on the mantle!

Wii U will be,

* one gimmick too far that won't have the wide-ranging appeal that Wii did
* hyped with more impressive-looking first party tech demos but the games will look like kiddie cartoons again
* flooded with PS360 hand me downs featuring bolted on controls that, while occasionally beneficial, will be mostly seen as nothing great
* trounced by PS4/next Xbox... unless it launches at an attractive price point
* called 'amazing' by the diehards

:wink: :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac