wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

CaptainN
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: wii U

Post by CaptainN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 am

Vectrex[/quote]

Did it become the industry standard after. Did everyone rush to add it to other consoles, did it completely change the way we play a certain type of game ( 3d games )[/quote]
So Nintendo helped popularise something.[/quote]

Yeah it did something Atari could not. Make something popular.

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: wii U

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:03 am

CaptainN wrote:Yeah it did something Atari could not. Make something popular.
Yes, that's right, Atari didn't make anything popular. :shock: :roll: :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: wii U

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:04 am

CaptainN wrote:Yeah it did something Atari could not. Make something popular.
This is the funniest thing I have ever read. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you talking about the same Atari that made video games themselves popular?

:roll:

User avatar
retrojc
Posts: 4267
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am

Re: wii U

Post by retrojc » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:07 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
CaptainN wrote:Yeah it did something Atari could not. Make something popular.
This is the funniest thing I have ever read. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you talking about the same Atari that made video games themselves popular?

:roll:

take a few steps back, Atari did nothing for me in regards to gaming. I started with a Sega console, and a Commodore. Pretty sure they'd be around without Atari's help :?: In regards to Atari making games popular? No, Call of Duty did that :lol:

CaptainN
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: wii U

Post by CaptainN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
CaptainN wrote:Yeah it did something Atari could not. Make something popular.
This is the funniest thing I have ever read. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you talking about the same Atari that made video games themselves popular?

:roll:
Actually Atari made them popular for a time and then turned the public against them in a few years and nearly killed them. Nintendo reignited the passion that has lasted for nearly 3 decades. Most people point to Ninteno for introducing Nintendo to Gaming. Atari was a blip. Nintendo is where the industry took off to where it is now.

Nintendo had to clean up Ataris mess.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: wii U

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:44 am

CaptainN wrote:Actually Atari made them popular for a time and then turned the public against them in a few years and nearly killed them. Nintendo reignited the passion that has lasted for nearly 3 decades. Most people point to Ninteno for introducing Nintendo to Gaming. Atari was a blip. Nintendo is where the industry took off to where it is now.

Nintendo had to clean up Ataris mess.
Utter nonsense, I suggest you go read some articles by MartyG in Retro Gamer.

Here in the UK and most of Europe Nintendo didn't even register until the SNES came along. In America the likes of the Commodore 64 and Apple II were doing fantastic as games machines well before the NES turned up.

CaptainN
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: wii U

Post by CaptainN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:59 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
CaptainN wrote:Actually Atari made them popular for a time and then turned the public against them in a few years and nearly killed them. Nintendo reignited the passion that has lasted for nearly 3 decades. Most people point to Ninteno for introducing Nintendo to Gaming. Atari was a blip. Nintendo is where the industry took off to where it is now.

Nintendo had to clean up Ataris mess.
Utter nonsense, I suggest you go read some articles by MartyG in Retro Gamer.

Here in the UK and most of Europe Nintendo didn't even register until the SNES came along. In America the likes of the Commodore 64 and Apple II were doing fantastic as games machines well before the NES turned up.
Fact is Nintendo helped reignite the console industry and for many is the start of the modern Era gaming industry. Atari burned its bridges with one failure after another.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: wii U

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:07 am

CaptainN wrote:Fact is Nintendo helped reignite the console industry and for many is the start of the modern Era gaming industry. Atari burned its bridges with one failure after another.
That not fact its your misguided opinion, very different. Go see MartyG, he will school you on the facts.

You will notice I didn't even mention Atari in my last post yet your reply was trolling them once again. :roll:

CaptainN
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: wii U

Post by CaptainN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:11 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
CaptainN wrote:Fact is Nintendo helped reignite the console industry and for many is the start of the modern Era gaming industry. Atari burned its bridges with one failure after another.
That not fact its your misguided opinion, very different. Go see MartyG, he will school you on the facts.

You will notice I didn't even mention Atari in my last post yet your reply was trolling them once again. :roll:
Ok then. I will leave Atari out of it. In fact on a positive note I will say I loved the 2600.

Nintendo is the birth of gaming to many people. It was a company that captured the imagination of many people when the general consnsus was that the console market was dead, and they had to work bloody hard to do it.

Surely even you can agree on that.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: wii U

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:13 am

CaptainN wrote:Nintendo is the birth of gaming to many people. It was a company that captured the imagination of many people when the general consnsus was that the console market was dead, and they had to work bloody hard to do it.

Surely even you can agree on that.
If you are American then maybe.

Why would I agree with something that is factually untrue?

They didn't work hard at all. They failed several times before locking down the market in the US with unfair business practices and then got sued for it. Once this was out of place Sega took over with the Megadrive/Genesis.

User avatar
resident paul
Posts: 4489
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Re: wii U

Post by resident paul » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:17 am

I thought the playstation has given gaming to masses & the birth of the casual gamer! :wink:
Image

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: wii U

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:18 am

CaptainN wrote:Nintendo is the birth of gaming to many people....
Atari is the birth of gaming to many people.
ZX80 is the birth of gaming to many people.
ZX81 is the birth of gaming to many people.
ZX Spectrum is the birth of gaming to many people.
NES is the birth of gaming to many people.
GameBoy is the birth of gaming to many people.
PlayStation is the birth of gaming to many people.
Xbox 360 is the birth of gaming to many people.
iOS/Android is the birth of gaming to many people.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: wii U

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:18 am

greenberet79 wrote:I thought this thread was to talk about the WiiU?? :D
It was....

Too cloudy down here last night to check the skies, but full moon at moment or what?.

Forum going in such cycles surprised the N64 being good/bad has'nt cropped up.

Even magazines like Gamesmaster, Edge, Gamestm have, at verious points, done features on where things we now take as std in consoles 1st appeared, be it touch screens, online gaming, ang.sticks, 4 joypad ports, memory cards etc etc.

Someone somewhere at somepoint had a great idea, ran with it, in some cases it worked and people followed, it others it bombed, mothballed, someone else took idea up years later, used newer technology or put it on hardware as standard, ran with it and it worked bingo.

It's like Stealth technology....Germans had it during later years of WW2, never used it, USA discovered it, did nothing with it until many years later, now China etc coming up with thier own.

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: wii U

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:21 am

Anyway...The Wii U then:

Any current thoughts, anyone?...any new demo's or titles annouced of interest?.

Any thoughts on how mauling of Ninja Gaiden 3 on current formats might effect the platform (as game seen to be sign console was aimed at 'hardcore' gamer as well as lighter user), will Wii U get 'enhanced'/overhauled version, or straight port?.


Please, someone, anything related to the thread topic, please...

CaptainN
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: wii U

Post by CaptainN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
CaptainN wrote:Nintendo is the birth of gaming to many people....
Atari is the birth of gaming to many people.
ZX80 is the birth of gaming to many people.
ZX81 is the birth of gaming to many people.
ZX Spectrum is the birth of gaming to many people.
NES is the birth of gaming to many people.
GameBoy is the birth of gaming to many people.
PlayStation is the birth of gaming to many people.
Xbox 360 is the birth of gaming to many people.
iOS/Android is the birth of gaming to many people.
Only one can claim to have revived an industry thought to be completely ruined. Nintendo did that with the Console industry.
Last edited by CaptainN on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest