wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: wii U

Post by The Beans » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:30 am

pratty wrote:
"Our answer was a partnership with Nintendo."
I wouldn't necessarily agree that Bayonetta 2 would reach a wider audience as a Wii-U exclusive as opposed to a being a multiplat, but I guess what he's saying is he's confident that Nintendo publishing the game will raise the profile of the game enough to make up for the loss of wider market availability. I suppose if Bayonetta 2 outsells the original then they'd have to conclude going with Nintendo was a good move.
The way I read it is Nintendo probably gave them a better financial option to bring it to the Wii U is all. For Sony and Microsoft Bayonetta is small potatoes, but for a new console any exclusive (even a minor one like a Bayonetta sequel) is probably worth chasing. The stuff about raising the game's profile sounds like corporate fluff to me.
If a developer has the chance at getting their game on a console with only a few games on it as competition, and during the christmas period to boot, possibly with some financial easing on the console manufacturer's part, they'd be mad to not take that deal. Bayonetta has a mild rep overall but such a scenario would definitely maximise what the game does have on that score.
The only downside is that it's hard to see the game as a genuine system seller even for the fanboys. I'm coming at that from the angle of a person who thought the first Bayonetta was average at best though.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:52 am

pratty wrote:All these fanboy accusations are really getting tiresome. So what if someone really likes a certain game or game company? We all have our favourites and preferences. If they're not trashing people for liking other things then what's the harm in it? At least they seem to be enjoying their gaming and are finding things to be optimistic about in an industry that people can be so jaded about.

I think alot of the annoyance comes from the fact that there are many gamers who really DO trash-talk at others for liking something different. A Nintendo fan who bashes someone for liking the 360 instead. A 360 fan who bashes someone for DARING to "side" with Sony. A Sony fan who just hates the universe, except for that part that contains Sony and the PS3. I dont really see this sort on THIS forum overmuch..... which I think is mostly due to it being a retro forum (we're more likely to see fights over the really ancient consoles rather than over the new ones!), but on OTHER forums I've been to..... yeah. This happens OFTEN. So I can see where the irritation comes from. And some of them get really NASTY about it.

Same with the idea of pushing someone, trying reeeeaaaallllllyyyyyy hard to get them to like something that they dont. I have a friend that does this, trying to get me into movies (I really hate movies), or trying to get me into specific games that, as a rule, I dont really care about, and it gets OLD pretty fast. Though, I dont see this particular thing happen online as much. Usually it's just the "mine is better than yours, you suck for liking that other thing!" sort of idea.

Aaaaaaaaanyway.

On topic here..... IS there a list somewhere of this thing's launch titles? I'm curious about this. All I've heard on this one is the price ($350 for the 32GB model here in the states, from Gamestop). Trying to actually figure out the release list by using their terrible site was a mistake (and my browser being a jackass isnt helping).

This one DOESNT completely center on a controller that I cant stand, and is unlikely (I hope) to be a haven for unending FPS titles and similar things, so I may well buy this one, depending on what's showing up for it and when.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:54 am

Misery wrote:On topic here..... IS there a list somewhere of this thing's launch titles? I'm curious about this. All I've heard on this one is the price ($350 for the 32GB model here in the states, from Gamestop). Trying to actually figure out the release list by using their terrible site was a mistake (and my browser being a jackass isnt helping).

This one DOESNT completely center on a controller that I cant stand, and is unlikely (I hope) to be a haven for unending FPS titles and similar things, so I may well buy this one, depending on what's showing up for it and when.
There are effectively three games at launch over here, mario bros, nintendo world and zombiu, which is a FPS but does look ok. I heard that p-100 would be out at launch in the states but no idea if that is true or not.

Still undecided on whether to get one at launch, I'll probably just play nintendo world for a day or two then the console will sit there for 6 months, on the other hand I'll pick one up with bayonmetta and will probably end up paying the same price, so may as well get one at the start.

Where is everyone buying? Don't trust GAME or HMV to still be in business, supermarkets won't take pre-orders, internet purchases will probably arrive late.

vp002

Post by vp002 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:07 am

well chaps ......

Wii-U comes to Play Expo

Here's the news that Nintendo fans have been eagerly waiting for – the Wii-U is coming to Play Expo! Nintendo have confirmed their Wii-U tour today and we are delighted to say the console will be available to try at our show this coming October.

With world famous Nintendo franchises like New Super Mario U and Wii U exclusives including Nintendo Land and Ubisoft’s ZombiU, the tour is the perfect place to try out the console for yourself and really experience how the Wii U and GamePad controller can change your in-home gaming experience.

As well as the chance to play pre-release Wii U titles, you will be able to play the as new Nintendo 3DS XL games too, including the upcoming Pokemon and Mario adventures.

There are Wii U challenges for you to complete, fantastic prizes to be won, and Mario and Luigi will even be there to meet and greet you. Make sure you come and check out this amazing new console.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:21 am

Fightersmegamix wrote: Where is everyone buying? Don't trust GAME or HMV to still be in business, supermarkets won't take pre-orders, internet purchases will probably arrive late.
I'm hoping Amazon will deliver on or near release day, but I've heard horror stories from other people about certain couriers they use so am not hopeful. Otherwise I'll just go with Shopto, they always get stuff to me before release day, even with the Vita and 3DS XL but the price is higher compared to Amazon...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 am

I've gone with shopto because:

a) I've never had a problem with them and ALWAYS received everything from them before or on launch day.

b) I've got so many loyalty points built up with them that they'll already be knocking £50 off the cost of my Premium Wii-U/Sombi U preorder. Probably even more once I've bought another couple of games I'm after from them in the meantime.

See you at the end of November. 8)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Might preorder one to sell on later at a higher price.

Dont give me that look we all know that people get stupid with buying things for December the 25th and its a good money making thing.

But do I want a +1 to my darkside stats?

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:06 pm

My daughter is four and she loves Nintendo stuff. Mario and Link are her absolute favourite characters. I bet if she posted in here she would still have people arguing against her.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:29 pm

nakamura wrote:My daughter is four and she loves Nintendo stuff. Mario and Link are her absolute favourite characters. I bet if she posted in here she would still have people arguing against her.
Hey, the people here are reasonable compared to some others. If she announced her love for Nintendo on Twitter she'd probably have a dozen people threatening to torch her house and stab her face off.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:42 pm

nakamura wrote:My daughter is four and she loves Nintendo stuff. Mario and Link are her absolute favourite characters. I bet if she posted in here she would still have people arguing against her.
Welcome to the internet.
You must be new

Seriously some people like to argue online a bit to much

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Nakamura's daughter says: "Ooh I love Mario, he's so funny and easy to control!"
Incensed Fanboy hears: "Ooh Sonic/Crash/Jak are awful because they're not in a Mario game! And they all suck at games and have AIDS!"

Nakamura's daughter says: "I've never played Call of Duty because it's too hard to control maybe. I might not like it."
Incensed Fanboy hears: "LOL all you gay fags with your shitty games make me sick! Go play a REAL shooter nubfags!"

It's the Internet. :|
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Muralbat

Post by Muralbat » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm really excited about the Wii U and I think the reason Is, is that I've decided to take rather large gamble and have it as my only console for the 'next' generation, using it alongside my PC to play all my games.

My gaming tastes over this generation have changed so drastically that I see no reason for me to get a PS4/Xbox3. I no longer enjoy online gaming other than with my friends, I hardly ever downloaded XBLA or Xbox Indie games, the ones I did were the 'better' ones, that are now out on PC. What I do enjoy, is local multi player, whether it be racing, or fifa or a shooter. Which I can do on the Wii U and being able to play split screen with one on the tablet it irradiates the 'screen watching' and would make local a lot more enjoyable.

I've also never had a nintendo console from launch, I had a Wii rather early, but I found the controls, while on the odd game very enjoyable, much more of a hindrance, but that in no way took away from the quality of the games I played. With the Wii U having a more...familiar controller in the Wii U Pro Controller, I can see me having a lot more enjoyment out of sport games and some platformers, while, from what I've seen, a lot of developers are being very creative with the lower screen and not (so far) turning it into a gimmick.

I've never played very much of the Nintendo franchise's and always felt like I'd missed out, the Wii, with its controls, wasn't the way for me to get into a zelda, or mario, or a metroid, im hoping, with more controls being just on the sticks and not 'Waggle' that I'll be able to get more immersion from the experience.

Games like Wonderful 101 already look great and I'm optimistic for the future. Also I saw 'censored of the Orient' the game being developed by the LA Noire guys is in production for Wii U and the other two NEXT gen consoles, which gives me hope that developers will indeed be able to have there games on the Wii U without sacrificing anything.
I'm a Portsmouth FC Fan. Please, go easy on me.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Mootown wrote:Out of all the exclusives, the one I'm personally most excited by is the re-named P-100 (The Wonderful 101) which looks stunning and is like a weird Pikmin-meets Final Fight meets Viewtiful Joe type game. I don't think I've ever played another game quite like it. And it's a great example of how graphics don't need to be 'realistic' to look awesome.
This a million times over. I have loved the look of it from the moment i first saw it. And now it has a less silly name in The Wonderful 101. As for the Wii U itself though bar Pikmin 3 there is nothing of interest on it that will tempt me into buying it. I still think They should of launched the basic at £199.99 with a normal controller and offered the touch screen controller and motion controller separate so that people had a choice to buy them with the machine or just to buy the WII U for basic gaming at a sub £200 price point.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:39 pm

I will walk into Blockbuster's in Sheffield and walk in and pick one up off the shelf like I've done with every other system in the last 10 years.

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm interested in getting one the more I think about it. I think I'll leave it till around the middle of next year though and see what the price is like then. I really can't justify buying another console after buying another PS3 and a 3DS XL.