wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thevulture

Re: wii U

Post by thevulture » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:31 am

I was a MCD owner, never bothered with Saturn, went straight to PSone, but the prospect of power of PS2, never stopped myself buying a launch DC.

Going with DVD though, was very wise move by Sony, even though it was'nt the best quality player going, it was seen as a cheap entry into the realm of DVD movies, same way lot of folks i know bought PS3 primarily as a Blu ray movie player.

Anywho, going off topic, this is Wii u thread, point i was aiming at, Nintendo will have a battle on it's hands to convince the more 'hardcore' gamer that Wii U is next console they should buy, rather than wait extra 12+ months for next machine by Sony/MS.

It'll be same smoke and mirror tactics used as last few generations:List's of tech.comparisons, concept footage passed off as w.i.p game code and prices of existing hardware dropped to make the Wii U look too pricey...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:58 am

Well I never got suckered into buying a PS2 as I saw all the hype from Sony for what it was at the time. I never bought one later on either as I was more than content with owning a Dreamcast, GameCube and Xbox for that console generation.

And, no, until Dreamcast I had never owned any Sega console so it wasn't due to any nonsensical 'loyalty' to Sega. In fact, I'd owned a PlayStation for a good while before PS2 launched and was generally quite happy with it.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:08 am

Of the 2 PS2's i've had:won 1st, got given the 2nd.Nice enough machine when all said and done, 2 God Of War games for myself showed what could be done with hardware, but it was nowhere near the machine Sony built it up to be.

Back on topic though, 'we' just know as soon as Wii U launches, MS+Sony will cut prices of 360 and PS3, say theirs is cheaper entry into HD gaming, has motion control, link up with Vita in Sony's case and look what else we offer and oh, did we mention that if your looking for something more powerful, that we've new hardware in the works?.

At present niether is really under any 'pressure' to say anything on next gen plans, they'll quite happily wait for Nintendo to make 1st move with Wii U, then respond in force.

Let me guess, it'll be the age old:we don't see it (Wii U) as competition, as it's aimed at different market to our new platform....

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:11 am

As far as Nintendo goes my last 'serious' purchase was the N64 (excluding handhelds). I bought my GC way into its death knell, because it was too good an offer to turn down for a limited edition console. The PS2 being my console of choice during that gen. As for the Wii, never would have considered buying it at all. My wife bought it me for crimbo 07 iirc. Its not a bad system and the virtual console is useful. But I hate motion control, It puts me off playing on it and classics like SMG 1 and 2 have been neglected by me as a result of it. I simply cannot enjoy gaming that way.

As things stand the Wii U is about a million miles off my radar. I will never say never, but on the whole Nintendos consoles hold little to no appeal for me anymore.

Eat your nans pants

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:13 am

@ thevulture: Sheesh, and I thought I was cynical! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:45 am

Winning Eleven 5 sold me a PS2. That was when I could afford to lay out £500 for a machine for one game.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:49 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:@ thevulture: Sheesh, and I thought I was cynical! :lol:
Just gotten so used to the tactics used by the key players these days, industry gotten very predictable now.Things like E3? pretty pointless in terms of looking out for the big, surprise annoucements.

:wink: Game details will have been leaked onto the net weeks before, someone will no doubt have posted a grainy video of new hardware running demo's etc.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:32 pm

I think a big seller for me, at least for the first quarter of the consoles life is that it is backwards compatible with Wii games, which means i'll get to experience some of these great Wii rpg's everyone has been talking about.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:57 pm

thevulture wrote:Of the 2 PS2's i've had, it was nowhere near the machine Sony built it up to be.
This a million times over. A few nice games that showed it's potential but a massive letdown compared to PS1 and what they promised and after experiencing better things on Dreamcast.

As for the WII U when it was first announced i wasn't really interested and couldn't see the point of the new controller but as the launch is drawing nearer i am becoming more interested. I finally can see the controller screen being used as a touch pad and more to bring some great PC games to console that wouldn't work well with a pad like Football Manager, Civilization, Supreme Commander, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Age Of Empires, Shogun series, Sim City 5 and more. Like Crusto Iv never been a fan of motion control and always felt games in the home should be about the mind and not physical. There are quite a few Wii games i want to play but am put off by the motion controls. Mabee in decades the Arcade scene will return again in the form of entire body gaming experiences which is where i think motion controls would be best.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:02 am

Guys - the Wii U will be exactly the same as the Wii. And the Gamecube. And the N64. And the...

Not a single one of us should be expecting it (or Nintendo in fact) to be anything other than exactly what they are. So you'll have a Mario platformer, a Zelda game, some Pokemon stuff, a Mario Kart. Some bizarre left field stuff from Miyamoto (that naturally requires a separate peripheral as well) and some scattershot 3rd Party software. Again, stuff that either tries too hard to appeal to non-Nintendo audience (and fails to sell) or tries to go "One better" and ends up the shovelware that sells enough to justify its development costs.

Guys, it's Nintendo. Don't go expecting them to be Sony. Base your purchasing decisions based on past history, not what you imagine a properly-competitive Nintendo to be.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:29 am

Freestyler wrote:Guys - the Wii U will be exactly the same as the Wii. And the Gamecube. And the N64. And the...

Not a single one of us should be expecting it (or Nintendo in fact) to be anything other than exactly what they are. So you'll have a Mario platformer, a Zelda game, some Pokemon stuff, a Mario Kart. Some bizarre left field stuff from Miyamoto (that naturally requires a separate peripheral as well) and some scattershot 3rd Party software. Again, stuff that either tries too hard to appeal to non-Nintendo audience (and fails to sell) or tries to go "One better" and ends up the shovelware that sells enough to justify its development costs.

Guys, it's Nintendo. Don't go expecting them to be Sony. Base your purchasing decisions based on past history, not what you imagine a properly-competitive Nintendo to be.

The one thing that really annoyed me when i had a Wii was the time it was taking to get any proper games released, by Nintendo or third partys when compared with the 360 that had amazing games being released left, right and center. Now though, i look at the more relaxed releases on the Wii as a good thing, means you can play a game, enjoy it, take your time, and then when finished your ready and waiting for the next game. Its getting on my nerves now on systems like 360 with hundreds of games being released over a month or two, much prefer a relaxed release now i must say.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:03 am

retrosofer wrote:Now though, i look at the more relaxed releases on the Wii as a good thing, means you can play a game, enjoy it, take your time, and then when finished your ready and waiting for the next game. Its getting on my nerves now on systems like 360 with hundreds of games being released over a month or two, much prefer a relaxed release now i must say.
To take it a step further, you could argue that a Nintendo customer doesn't have the worry of seeing so many great games being released at once, but without having anywhere near the money required to buy them all. Just look at the Xbox 360's release list for the last month:

The Darkness II
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Syndicate
Mass Effect 3
Binary Domain
Asura's Wrath

And those were just the ones I wanted! How about Fifa: Street, Ninja Gaiden 3, or SSX? How about games on the PC and the 3DS? Even if you managed to get them all for thirty quid each (which is very doubtful indeed) it'd still cost a whopping £180 just for one month! For one system alone. God love you if you collect Books, Blu-Rays, DVDs or like Mobile gaming. Or might even fancy the odd pint. :?

No wonder some games don't sell. There's just too much competition.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri May 25, 2012 1:58 am

Rumored Metroid + Starfox Crossover game

http://kotaku.com/5911725/starfox+metro ... -for-wii-u

That would be....interesting to say the least. I'm sure there's a Lylat Wars/SF64 quote to sum it up somewhere...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 25, 2012 7:20 am

ALK wrote:Rumored Metroid + Starfox Crossover game

http://kotaku.com/5911725/starfox+metro ... -for-wii-u

That would be....interesting to say the least. I'm sure there's a Lylat Wars/SF64 quote to sum it up somewhere...
I honestly can't see it working. You take probably the one series from Nintendo that has loads of voice acting (for a Nintendo game anyway) and put them together with a character that is practically mute and always works on her own. I just can't picture it, if it were a Star Fox game in the style of Metroid Prime I'd be interested - lots of powerups and exploration with proper good on rails flying sections (kind of like how Star Fox Adventures worked but improve upon it).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 am

It kind of makes sense to me. Aside from Nintendo fans there doesn't seem to be much demand for a new Starfox or Metroid, especially after the disappointing performances of their recent games.

I think a cross over of the two franchises would create more a buzz within the mainstream game media than a seperate game for each. Plus a crossover would be something different and could add fresh elements to each series.

The trouble of course is making the crossover work in terms of gameplay, but I'd put my faith in Retro Studios to make it work as they have a great track record and haven't let me down yet.

Though obviously this is all rumours and as the article says the concept does sound like pure fan-fiction. A new Starfox-only game sounds more likely, but with E3 being largely about surprises you just can't rule anything out.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823