The Greatest Gaming Moments Of All Time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greenberet79

Re: The Greatest Gaming Moments Of All Time

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:41 am

Table Tennis/Wii Sports Resort - for me the first game with proper "real" like-for-like interaction. I think it's severely underrated!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:44 am

The final moments in "Monkey Island" with Guybrush and Elaine. Never again did I feel so touched by virtual characters.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:51 am

I find it hard to understand how anyone could get so distressed by the FMV 'death' of a character who has probably died and been revived by magic several times before then, and could even actually be dead at the time that sequence takes place thanks to the daftness of the disconnected battle system. I realise games require some suspension of disbelief, but when they require suspension of rationality, causality and linearity as well in a supposedly 'story-led' game then I think the designers need to find a new job.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:18 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Launching the rocket in Tetris.
Good Call!

In God of War Chains of Olympus, right at the start when you fight that big Cyclops guy & that HUGE monster bursts through the doors & chomps him in two.... You KNOW the game is going to be a bit special.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:22 am

Loads of great moments.
Linking up 2 amiga's for a game of Lotus 2.
D-Day in Medal Of Honor - Frontline.
Most of SSX3.
Insult sword fighting in Monkey Island.
Chopping your mates head off in Barbarian on the CPC.
Pinball Dreams, the first great pinball game.
Turrican 1 and 2,(CPC and Amiga).
Guybrush Threepwood.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Loading-up GTA3 on the PS2 for the first time and realising that Liberty City is basically your playground.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:41 pm

joefish wrote:I find it hard to understand how anyone could get so distressed by the FMV 'death' of a character who has probably died and been revived by magic several times before then, and could even actually be dead at the time that sequence takes place thanks to the daftness of the disconnected battle system. I realise games require some suspension of disbelief, but when they require suspension of rationality, causality and linearity as well in a supposedly 'story-led' game then I think the designers need to find a new job.
Because generally in an RPG when you lose all HP it is counted as a KO rather than a death. :)
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:29 pm

djcarlos wrote:Loading-up GTA3 on the PS2 for the first time and realising that Liberty City is basically your playground.
Or how about the intro to Vice City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwr0kTWfSIE
As a c64 fan this intro blew my mind.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Loading up Sensible World of Soccer and seeing the sheer depth of the game. Taking over what felt like any club, anywhere in the world just blew me away. Sensi was always a good game but to see that at your fingertips was great. Was useful for playground discussions when people said "who on Earth are X", being able to name a couple of players and where there from made you look like a god.

The first time on the original Mortal Kombat pulling off a fatality. The screen going dark and the moment of brutality was great.

Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid, telling you what games you'd played and then the way you had to outsmart him as he could "read your mind" was great. Then there was the number you desperately needed for communication being hidden on the case. Actually I just love all the metagame moments in this series.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:50 pm

While the death of that character was sad, it was far less emotional than the Lisa scene as it was a 1 to 1 with Harry, you in fact. Also the acting with voices, albeit not amazing and the animation on Lisa stumbling around was something to behold and still looks great now.
Personally, I think the Lisa one has far more clout.[/quote][/quote]

For sure, that was a great moment in the game I'd forgotten about. Both Silent Hill & FF VII had moments all through them that would feature in my own personal gaming moments.

Oh yeah- Going back to my school Apple IIe days- Castle Wolfenstein: Finding the Plans, escaping from the Castle! :)

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Dogs through the window - Resident Evil

First using the Laptop Gun - Goldeneye

First using the Farsight - Perfect Dark

That bloody toy phone - Silent Hill

The Wedding Pie Throw - Bishi Bashi Special

Growing up - Zelda OOT

Writing on the Blackboard - Skool Daze

Decapitation - Barbarian

Psycho Mantis - Metal Gear Solid

Oh, and the waves - Waverace..

I could give you another 40, as I was looking to do my own article on my blog and have been writing them down.. :lol: ..might leave it for a while now if you guys are doing it for issue 100 though! :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:29 pm

The opening of Unreal really stands out to me. For a start there's that incredible castle flyby in the menus, but then the game starts and you're in that crashed ship, in the dark. You scurry about, eventually finding the bridge and then THAT door. After it opens, you see the resulting carnage and you catch a glimpse of... something. After a few more doors, you emerge into the light. You see the whole crashed ship, then the gorge with the waterfall.

It's brilliantly staged and a great way to start the game.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Storming the beach in the original Halo.

Exiting the sewers in Oblivion.

Getting drunk in How to be a Complete Bastard and realising it physically impaired your ability to play the game.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:06 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Table Tennis/Wii Sports Resort - for me the first game with proper "real" like-for-like interaction. I think it's severely underrated!
Not underrated, the best motion control game out there bar none!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:01 pm

sscott wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:Table Tennis/Wii Sports Resort - for me the first game with proper "real" like-for-like interaction. I think it's severely underrated!
Not underrated, the best motion control game out there bar none!
Nah, that'd be Samba de Amigo (DC) using the official maracas set. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac