Places to shop in Edinburgh

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spyke

Places to shop in Edinburgh

Post by Spyke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi all,

I'll be spending a day in Edinburgh soon and would like to know if there are any good places to find retro bargains - games, consoles, accessories, whatever - in that city? If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear them. I know the Charity Shop Street is South Bridge / Nicolson Street, but any other places worth a rummage?

Thanks!

Ant
PAL PS2, GC+freeloader, PAL PS1 (Jp-import-chipped), Jp Sega Saturn, PAL DC
Sore thumbs

crusto

Re: Places to shop in Edinburgh

Post by crusto » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:17 pm

The last time I was in Edinburgh was in Jan 2008. Its a lovely city. In terms of gaming the only shop I can remember is a Gamestation on Princes Street (I think thats what its called). It had some retro stuff in there. But the best part of 4 years is a long time...

Eat your nans pants

filecore

Post by filecore » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:05 am

There's a second hand shop in Tollcross that's stacked floor to ceiling with all sorts.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=55.9432 ... k&t=h&z=20

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:27 am

Thanks guys - two good places to start! ;)

Ant
Sore thumbs

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:04 am

Gamesmasters at the bottom of Leith Walk should be your first stop!

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/1357186-Gam ... -Edinburgh
Thoughts and prayers.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:48 am

I was there just over a year ago and found the Cash Converters to be filled with complete and cheap retro games. The Gamestation had a ton of stuff upstairs but I've since heard that they've changed it and don't really do retro anymore which is a shame as I spent a fair bit when I was there.

I also found a dingy little shop with just a guy sat behind a load of stuff which included a ton of complete retro stuff but the prices were not as good as you would expect unfortunately.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:32 pm

I'm going to start making a list... might not make them all in one day! ;)

Ant
Sore thumbs

skooldaze_eric

Post by skooldaze_eric » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:29 pm

Yeah I used to spend ages upstairs in Gamestation when I was in Edinburgh, shame that they've changed it.

william

Post by william » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi
Sadly Gamestation in Princess street closed in the summer of this year(when they were running their 5 for £10 and 5 for £5 deal)due to having a HMV and a GAME a few doors away and paying excessive rent for a corner shop(the upstairs closed first as they tried to find someone to rent upstairs out first,yep Gamesmaster down leith is worth checking out,i havent been inside the shop in tollcross(its called Backtracks)so dont know what his prices are(theres a video on Youtube of inside his shop and it gives some idea of how much stuff is stacked on top of each other),theres also a shop at the top of easter road called 'Games 4 U' run by an asian guy who has retro instore but tends to sell some of it with the mario tax added(probably has most of his unboxed N64 carts at either £10 or £15)but there may be something of interest amonst it all(he doesn't really know much about retro and tends to price things from some of the crappy OTT prices on Ebay,the cash converter on south bridge can be good sometimes but the guy from Games 4 u tends to get his staff checking out there and other places and buying to resell in his shop,if your around on a sunday then maybe check out the greenside car boot(9am to 1am)just a few minutes walk down from the east end of princess street heading towards leith,having recently picked a pristine boxed GBC for £3 and a big bag of boxed atari st games for £5,but dealers tend to check there out also(one decent thing about there though is no-ones allowed to sell anything before 9,stopping dealers from rummaging through peoples cars as they try to unpack,hope this helps

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Backtracks has loads of stuff, but the last time I was there some of it seemed a bit steep...haven't been for a couple of years now, but might be worth checking out...

Gamesmaster is pretty good, but again haven't been for a while...but yeah, it's usually the charity shops you mentioned in Nicolson Street where I find the best bargains! :)

A friend recently mentioned a place called 1up Games on Dalry Road, but another friend told me that had recently closed along with Chips and Gamestation, so I'm not sure if it still exists or not? Seems quite a few Edinburgh game shops are finding it difficult lately.. :(
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!