Game Hunting - What Games are you Trying to Acquire?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gmintyfresh

Re: Game Hunting - What Games are you Trying to Acquire?

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Megamixer wrote:I can rest easy now that I got that Soul Calibur IV steelbook :D . Can't wait to get hold of the special edition for V when it comes out.
Glad you bagged the steelbook, must admit that I saw one just before Christmas that was really nasty!!

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Megamixer wrote:I can rest easy now that I got that Soul Calibur IV steelbook :D . Can't wait to get hold of the special edition for V when it comes out.
I remember when this came out, and I am convinced it was just a steelbook with dvd. no game included, it was lieka preorder bonus thing...

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:30 am

My Street Fighter collection needs a lot of stuff for sure, but one that I can't seem to find is a complete UK Street Fighter Alpha for the Gameboy color? Anybody got one, or even seen one?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:37 am

Dam wrote:My Street Fighter collection needs a lot of stuff for sure, but one that I can't seem to find is a complete UK Street Fighter Alpha for the Gameboy color? Anybody got one, or even seen one?
I got that at launch, still got it as well. Didn't realise its become so hard to find now.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:51 am

retrojc wrote:
I remember when this came out, and I am convinced it was just a steelbook with dvd. no game included, it was lieka preorder bonus thing...
Maybe. It holds both discs though. In any case, I've never seen somebody selling a boxed retail version of the game with the steelbook as a bonus, just the steelbook with the game, DVD and character booklet all inside.

I know what you mean though because the Marvel Vs Capcom 3 steelbook was given away alongside the regular boxed version as a bonus.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:53 am

Megamixer wrote:
retrojc wrote:
Maybe. It holds both discs though. In any case, I've never seen somebody selling a boxed retail version of the game with the steelbook as a bonus, just the steelbook with the game, DVD and character booklet all inside.

I know what you mean though because the Marvel Vs Capcom 3 steelbook was given away alongside the regular boxed version as a bonus.
Think I've waffled about this before. Basically I preodered SCIV LE from an online retailer (I think it was Play), approaching release day the retailler sent out an email to all customers that had ordered this version informing that the LE content wouldn't be ready for release date. So rather than delay sending the game out they sent a standard copy of the game out reassuring that the LE extras including the steelbook would be sent out when they were ready. A few days later the steelbook, artbook/tips guide, and bonus DVD were sent out to customers the idea being that you transferred the game disk and manual into the steelbook thus completing the LE. I seem to remember that the steelbook was exclusive to one retailer so that probably explains your memories of this release.

I've probably got the emails somewhere, might have a look for them this weekend

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:29 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Think I've waffled about this before. Basically I preodered SCIV LE from an online retailer (I think it was Play), approaching release day the retailler sent out an email to all customers that had ordered this version informing that the LE content wouldn't be ready for release date. So rather than delay sending the game out they sent a standard copy of the game out reassuring that the LE extras including the steelbook would be sent out when they were ready. A few days later the steelbook, artbook/tips guide, and bonus DVD were sent out to customers the idea being that you transferred the game disk and manual into the steelbook thus completing the LE. I seem to remember that the steelbook was exclusive to one retailer so that probably explains your memories of this release.

Yes, I can imagine that sort of thing happening. Just strange that you never see any auctions with the surplus plastic case...

Basically like the Ltd Edition Ocarina of Time 3D case from GAME then?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:36 am

Megamixer wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Think I've waffled about this before. Basically I preodered SCIV LE from an online retailer (I think it was Play), approaching release day the retailler sent out an email to all customers that had ordered this version informing that the LE content wouldn't be ready for release date. So rather than delay sending the game out they sent a standard copy of the game out reassuring that the LE extras including the steelbook would be sent out when they were ready. A few days later the steelbook, artbook/tips guide, and bonus DVD were sent out to customers the idea being that you transferred the game disk and manual into the steelbook thus completing the LE. I seem to remember that the steelbook was exclusive to one retailer so that probably explains your memories of this release.

Yes, I can imagine that sort of thing happening. Just strange that you never see any auctions with the surplus plastic case...

Basically like the Ltd Edition Ocarina of Time 3D case from GAME then?
Yep that's right, I suspect people just either chucked it or used it for other games. Personally I used it to take the game round to my mates house rather than scratch the lovely artwork on that steel book ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Dam wrote:My Street Fighter collection needs a lot of stuff for sure, but one that I can't seem to find is a complete UK Street Fighter Alpha for the Gameboy color? Anybody got one, or even seen one?
I did have one, but I lost the box in a house move. :(

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:46 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
bensonrad wrote:Space Channel 5 Part 2
That's another Japanese release. You can get it with English dialogue for PS2. At one point there was a project to do a fan translation (with new dialogue) for DC but I don't think it ever came to anything. Why the PS2 dialogue hasn't been ripped to replace the Japanese on DC I'm not sure, it should be relatively easy.
Said fan translation of the original DC release was completed way back in 2007 and a more complete version was completed earlier this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Chan ... sh_Version

Great to see the PS3/PSN 'HD' update reviewed in RG this month. The game was a day one purchase for me (no surprise given my avatar!) and it's a damn fine game. :D
I'm a bit late to the party here, but only just noticed this thread. :) I've got that hack of DC Space Channel 5 Part 2 with the audio ripped from the PS2 version, though I couldn't tell you were it was downloaded from as at the time I was buying DC copies off a couple of guys who were doing them to order (didn't have a clue how to do it myself back then :oops: I've only become more proficient with downloading stuff myself over the last three years),,,think I mentioned it on here a while back and Ant was sceptical even back then.

I've also got a PAL PS2 version as well (German copy, but the game itself's in full English)...I paid just over £20 for it back round when it first appeared but I've since seen all kinds of wild claims that it's the rarest PAL PS2 game out there, particularly the Australian version with the inlay and instruction book in English, and the price has soared. Thing was, it was released in Oz and the rest of Europe, but just not in the UK for some reason...i don't think it's particularly rare outside of this country.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:02 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
I'm a bit late to the party here, but only just noticed this thread. :) I've got that hack of DC Space Channel 5 Part 2 with the audio ripped from the PS2 version, though I couldn't tell you were it was downloaded from as at the time I was buying DC copies off a couple of guys who were doing them to order (didn't have a clue how to do it myself back then :oops: I've only become more proficient with downloading stuff myself over the last three years),,,think I mentioned it on here a while back and Ant was sceptical even back then.
I've also just found this thread - and yep, I have that Space Channel 5 part 2 hack as well. It's still readily available on the net. I've only recently got into the world of downloading DC games, and what with all the unreleased games, english translations and homebrew games it's given me even more love for the console.

As for what games I'm trying to acquire, 13 now to go for the DC PAL collection, with both Evolution 2 and Taxi 2 becoming my nemesis at the moment (along with Giant Killers - seriously, is there any copies out there at the moment? I'm starting to think it's a giant conspiracy....).

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:18 am

Space_turnip wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:
I've also just found this thread - and yep, I have that Space Channel 5 part 2 hack as well. It's still readily available on the net. I've only recently got into the world of downloading DC games, and what with all the unreleased games, english translations and homebrew games it's given me even more love for the console.

As for what games I'm trying to acquire, 13 now to go for the DC PAL collection, with both Evolution 2 and Taxi 2 becoming my nemesis at the moment (along with Giant Killers - seriously, is there any copies out there at the moment? I'm starting to think it's a giant conspiracy....).
Never downloaded any DC games myself, though might get one or two, do use it for Atari 800 emulation though, works well. Evolution 2 cost me £40 as I recall which is not a a bad price, I can see us bidding against each other on Taxi 2 at some point! :lol: :wink:

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
I did have one, but I lost the box in a house move. :(
I have said game in my collection - IIRC I have the box at my moms house too. So yes , I've seen one.

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:26 pm

My country for Castlevania Symphony of the Night
also Bushido Blade for the PSX
Any version of Elite
A cd version of Frontiers Elite 2

and many moooore
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:28 pm

sscott wrote: Never downloaded any DC games myself, though might get one or two, do use it for Atari 800 emulation though, works well. Evolution 2 cost me £40 as I recall which is not a a bad price, I can see us bidding against each other on Taxi 2 at some point! :lol: :wink:
I'm going to be joining the world of Ebay very soon, so we may very well ;) I've left 90 minutes to be my final DC game so i'm not left chasing just a single game to complete the collection - at least i've told myself i'll do that, but no doubt I'll end up picking one up after waiting months for a Taxi 2!
I'd recommend getting a few of the unreleased DC games though mate, Propeller Arena and Half Life are definately up there with the best DC games I've played, and there's some japanese only games I'd never get round to buying that are decent and self boot on a PAL dreamcast without having to use an import disc. Going to have to dip my toes more into the emulation though, only really tried SNES emulation and it wasn't really very good