Whats your favourite SNK fighter?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GunstarHero

Whats your favourite SNK fighter?

Post by GunstarHero » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:56 am

Been playing a lot of Real Bout Special on the Saturn and I think it may now be my favourite SNK fighter. I just love the art style and the whole thing seems so fluid and smooth.

Its also doesn't seem to suffer from the 'SNK boss syndrome' which instantly makes it more playable :D

Megamixer

Re: Whats your favourite SNK fighter?

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:54 pm

That's a tough one. I've played quite a few SNK fighters and almost every KOF game but I haven't yet had access to some of the heavy hitters like Garou and the Last Blade games.

So far I would say King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match for the PS2 is my favourite but I give honourable mentions to KOF's '96, 2000 and XI, World Heroes Perfect and (purely for how much it improved on it's two predecessors) Art of Fighting 3.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:40 pm

I am not a huge fighting game fan, but I do enjoy a good game of Samurai Shodown, something about the characters, weapons, moves and general atmosphere just keeps me coming back for more.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:51 pm

Just one?

These guys aren't Capcom you know.

For the record
Garou Mark of wolfs
Last Blade 2
Capcom vs SNK
King of fighters 98
Real bout special
I haven't yet had access to some of the heavy hitters like Garou and the Last Blade games.
Emulate them
They are awesome.

garou is probasbly the better of them as its a game I play quite loud due to it just sounding awesome

Also Real bout specil.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Although it's no where near as deep as the other SNK fighters, I kinda liked Art Of Fighting. I couldn't wait for it to get delivered from a mail order company back in the day. Gotta love the SNES :)

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:28 pm

DPrinny wrote:Just one?

These guys aren't Capcom you know.

For the record
Garou Mark of wolfs
Last Blade 2
Capcom vs SNK
King of fighters 98
Real bout special
I haven't yet had access to some of the heavy hitters like Garou and the Last Blade games.
Emulate them
They are awesome.
Garou is on XBLA. Probably the one of the better fighters snk have churned out. Liking my chibi fighters on NGPC. Loved Samurai Showdown and Fatal Fury in the day. Hoping for something special with KOF XIII

Wasnt Capcom vs SNK a capcom fighter? SVC Chaos wasnt really any good.... (sorry bro)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:34 pm

^It was a part thing
the sequel felt more like a Capcom one

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Black Ridge wrote: Wasnt Capcom vs SNK a capcom fighter? SVC Chaos wasnt really any good.... (sorry bro)
It's an alright game just really annoying and hard at times with spamming gits like Goenitz and the super-tough Serious Mr Karate and the cheap secret bosses. Nothing on Capcom's efforts obviously (CvSNK2 will never get boring) but enjoyable enough for what it is I thought. Plus it has Akuma and Shin Akuma so there's some extra win there. 'Violent Ken' too!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Art Of Fighting for me, big beefy characters and nice back drops/themes, much prefer it to KOF and similar

llj

Post by llj » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
Garou is on XBLA. Probably the one of the better fighters snk have churned out.)
There are many who consider it just on the heels of Third Strike as best 2d fighter ever made. From a production values standpoint it's definitely up there. It's got a ton more animation than your average fighter, and if it doesn't quite have the fluid framerate of SF3, it makes up for it by sheer detail of animation--many characters have fairly detailed idle animations that even SF3 doesn't, every character has multiple taunt animations, and even the backgrounds are more lively than SF3's.

There are a lot of good SNK ones.

I'd say I've put the most time into KOF XI and Garou, although I think the battle system and characters in the Real Bout FF games are just super fun to play with, and the most fluid and unique of all of SNK's engines IMO. Last Blade 1 and 2 I need to spend more time with to try embrace, but from an artistic standpoint they are 2 of the best drawn games I've ever seen.

I also really like a bunch of fighters made by other companies for the MVS/Neo Geo. Waku Waku 7 is exceedingly playable, as is Matrimelee.

K1NGARTH3R wrote:Art Of Fighting for me, big beefy characters and nice back drops/themes, much prefer it to KOF and similar
I bought the AOF Anthology the other day and AOF 3 is just gorgeous to look at.
Last edited by llj on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Age of Fighting 3.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Black Ridge wrote: Wasnt Capcom vs SNK a capcom fighter? SVC Chaos wasnt really any good.... (sorry bro)
It's an alright game just really annoying and hard at times with spamming gits like Goenitz and the super-tough Serious Mr Karate and the cheap secret bosses. Nothing on Capcom's efforts obviously (CvSNK2 will never get boring) but enjoyable enough for what it is I thought. Plus it has Akuma and Shin Akuma so there's some extra win there. 'Violent Ken' too!
I never unlocked any characters in SvC. Remebered looking at the sprites for the first time and thinking they were hideous (bear in mind I played Capcom vs SNK 2 for years before playing this). Did read the SvC Chaos Graphic Novels though. They were cool!

Was watching some vids of Last Blade 2 the other day. Looks really nice. Shame the same cannot be said for Samurai Showden Sen......

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Samurai Shodown Sen is a disgrace.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
I never unlocked any characters in SvC. Remebered looking at the sprites for the first time and thinking they were hideous (bear in mind I played Capcom vs SNK 2 for years before playing this). Did read the SvC Chaos Graphic Novels though. They were cool!
The only ones you unlock are the secret bosses (Athena and Red Aremmer) but both are stupidly hard to get. The main 'hidden' characters are all accessed by holding select (I think) and highlighting the normal characters. Most have other characters hidden beneath. The sprites are a bit fugly true but I guess it's hard to see Capcom characters in the Neo Geo/SNK style.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Fatal Fury 2, Samurai Showdown and RealBout FF Special or whatever its called are cool.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769