Worst ever Arcade conversion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thevulture

Re: Worst ever Arcade conversion

Post by thevulture » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Afterburner 3 MCD:Think it must have used all of 4 or 5 colours and looked awful.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Pit-Fighter's a great game - only ever played the Mega Drive and Lynx versions, mind, but from what I can tell it's one of the best fighters around.

Shadow Dancer's also great, never played the arcade version. And this thread is the first time I've heard ANYTHING bad said about R-Type on the PC-Engine!

But, for "bad" conversions, how about...

-Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the game.com
-SiniStar on the game.com (a version of SiniStar which is difficult to lose!)
-Mortal Kombat on the NES (just go as that four-armed guy straight away, keep pressing B to do throws and you'll finish the game in no time)
-Street Fighter II on the SNES - more of a personal thing really. My mate who owned the game, after buying it REFUSED to ever play anything else. I hated the game and he'd always win, then tell me to stop playing because I was rubbish, and I'd have to just sit there and watch him play. Bah.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:46 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Pit-Fighter's a great game
Thats something you don't hear often... To be fair i've not played the Lynx of Megadrive versions but unless they've just attached the name onto a completely different game... You can't polish shit! I've played the arcade original and it absolutely sucks. The Snes version i've also played and its a crap conversion of a crap game and theres the Atari ST version which is a technically very impressive conversion complete with sprite scaling but its still a crap game!
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:-Street Fighter II on the SNES - more of a personal thing really. My mate who owned the game, after buying it REFUSED to ever play anything else. I hated the game and he'd always win, then tell me to stop playing because I was rubbish, and I'd have to just sit there and watch him play. Bah.
Snes Street Fighter 2 discussed on a topic of BAD arcade conversion? I don't believe it! :shock:
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm sure it's a great conversion, but as stated, it's for personal reasons - it's a conversion that CREATED a "bad" rift between two people, see.

But yeah, give the MD version of Pit-Fighter a try, it's a lot of fun!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Amiga version of Narc.

Loved the arcade, espicially the sound fx.

Eagerly awaited the conversions (as it was back in the day), christ, wish I hadn't have bothered!

Don't know what the other conversions turned out like so cannot offer an opinion.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:43 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Pit-Fighter's a great game - only ever played the Mega Drive and Lynx versions, mind, but from what I can tell it's one of the best fighters around.
I agree 100% but then the original arcade game was a big favourite of mine too.

The SNES, SMS, Gameboy and ALL home computer versions are terrible though

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Master System recived some stinkers:

Forgotten Worlds, nice enough to look at, but way too easy.

Special Criminal Investigation.

Eswat.

BF Bullpup

Post by BF Bullpup » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:56 am

Pac-Man for the Atari VCS. It's hard to forgive the original's flawed take when the later Ms. Pac-Man conversion showed the VCS was more than capable of emulating the original arcade gameplay and graphics.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:28 am

thevulture wrote:Master System recived some stinkers:

Forgotten Worlds, nice enough to look at, but way too easy.

Special Criminal Investigation.

Eswat.
Double Dragon.
Splink!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:37 am

^ Isn't SMS Double Dragon supposed to be one of the better conversions though?

I mean despite the flickery graphics and awkward controls it doesn't actually play that badly.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:24 am

All 8 Bit versions of Solider Of Light, MS Smash TV, C64 wise:G-Loc (pointless conversion), Super Hang On, Black Tiger, Line Of Fire, Golden Axe (looked nice, great music, but too few foes on screen ruined the exp.), Breakthru and Quartet.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:29 am

The 4 which disapointed me the most were Wec Le Mans, Double Dragon, Enduro Racer and Chase HQ - all on the C64.

The driving games p*ssed me off the most as Buggy Boy & Power Drift proved it was possible - Wec Le Mans was mental, cracking car sprite though.

However the worst for me (on the C64) was Karnov - not a brilliant arcade game but it was cack (although it did come with free colour clash!)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Breakthru-C64. Absolute tripe. Got it on a compilation thankfully so I didn't pay full price.

Bomb Jack-C64. BombFat more like. Amstrad or Speccy versions all the way.

It did have some of the best Hyper Sports, Buggy Boy, Ghosts and Goblins to name a few.

Also the people rubbishing Dragons Lair. NO NO NO! They were both very good games, artistic licence taken with the original, but then it needed to. Plus the bonus of the next level loading in while you played was brilliant.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:56 pm

thevulture wrote:Afterburner 3 MCD:Think it must have used all of 4 or 5 colours and looked awful.
I thought that was an orginal sequel rather than an Arcade port. Its utter gash, but the soundtrack is its saving grace
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 am

RMLF wrote:
thevulture wrote:Afterburner 3 MCD:Think it must have used all of 4 or 5 colours and looked awful.
I thought that was an orginal sequel rather than an Arcade port. Its utter gash, but the soundtrack is its saving grace
Its actually a conversion of G-Loc 2