WWE 12

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

steve82

WWE 12

Post by steve82 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:58 pm

is anybody getting this next week?

it sounds like a must for all wrestling fans. the ability to customise everything in the universe mode raw and smackdown to wcw nitro + thunder etc

could this be the game that finally bettters WWf no mercy?

retrogarden

Re: WWE 12

Post by retrogarden » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:11 am

Maybe.

I haven't bought one of these games for ages, so will probably pick it up. Like the "Legends" they've included, just wish they had a few more (Mr. Perfect & Big Boss Man have appeared in recent games, thought they'd make the cut in this though.....)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:20 am

The game that betters No Mercy was made ages ago

Pro Wrestling 2 on N64

>The Rock as DLC from day one

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:10 am

Got WWE 12 preordered (Xbox 360)

It promises the world, but I'm sure it'll deliver precious little, just like most other games in the series.

I'm a sucker for them every year though.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

steve82

Post by steve82 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:25 am

@ toxiedogg

It promises the world, but I'm sure it'll deliver precious little,

well to be honest Smackdown 11 lacked freedom in the universe mode. it lacked the ability to defend belts in exhibition. and the fact that it was basically a gloryfied ps2 game pissed most ppl off me included.

but from what iv seen the universe mode lets do you pretty much anything.

defending titles in exhibition is back.

the game has been built for this generation. AT LAST

and also i have never really cared about road to wrestlemania i do not think i even tried it once in svr 11. but 18 months is a beyond belief improvement = i will probs try this mode this year before any other.

oh and on top of all that universe mode has the show intros and pyros. and it introduces ppvs proper AND NOW BLAH BLAH BLAH PRESENTS THE WWE ROYAL RUMBLE.

i just put my name down for it when i picked saints row 3 up about an hour ago i literally cannot wait.

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:31 am

these threads show wrestling games seem to have gone the same way as wrestling itself

Not one mention of the actual wrestling portion of the game

a bit like watching the shows nowadays where they spend far more time talking than they do wrestling
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:16 pm

I haven't bought one since the PS2 game with Brock on the cover (here comes the pain?) - I did buy Legends of Wrestlemania (pretty good, awesome roster) but that wasn't part of the same series.

Over the last few years the WWE games have been the worst example of a lazy franchise, people moan about FIFA etc but nothing beats this series for abject laziness and contempt for fans.

That being said I am actually considering getting WWE 12, one, it has Vader in it !!!!!!! and two, it really does look good. Hopefully the leap forward the series so badly needs, would love this to be great.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:06 pm

thebear wrote:these threads show wrestling games seem to have gone the same way as wrestling itself

Not one mention of the actual wrestling portion of the game

a bit like watching the shows nowadays where they spend far more time talking than they do wrestling
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2
No Mercy + UFC style grapples + martial arts charters + a proper headgear option

retrosportsgmr

Post by retrosportsgmr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm liking the extras so far - you've got the Rock at launch, Brock Lesnar, and now Randy Savage. Plus Kevin Nash is in the game along with Daniel Bryan (just missed last year's game because of his "firing").
http://www.retrosportsgamer.com
Twitter: @retrosportsgmr

Anthonytats

Post by Anthonytats » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:20 am

Ive been looking at preordering it but the same thing always keeps stopping me.
The career modes in it and Creatable Wrestler always bore me after like 5 minutes.

With stats of (Shortened) 2/10 across the board you expect a harder fight against 8/10 wrestlers than a quick 2 minute fight.
Probably rent it for the weekend and see how i feel about buying it.

thebear

Post by thebear » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:53 am

Mariposa_Cibernetico wrote:If you're disillusioned with the wrestling you see (or rather, don't see) on TV, vote with your feet and get some independant wrestling on DVD. Companies like Shimmer, ACW, Dragon Gate USA and PWG put on some of the best wrestling you'll ever see, and you never have to spend 40 minutes of a show watching a gang of haggard old men bicker in the ring like you do with the big two.

Having said all that, universe mode is what got me to buy SVR2011, and the improvements in 12 make it sound even better! The first videogame appearance of Amazing Kong is the icing on the cake! I won't be buying it for a few months though, since I'm poor. D:
Also, there were No Mercy-beaters even before No Mercy came out: the Fire Pro Wrestling series.

Check my sig mate, I have a huge collection of the old stuff, much prefer that
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

steve82

Post by steve82 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:06 am

the review is up on ign and they gave it 9. it says some things like road to wrestlemania forces you away from wrestling etc.

the only thing i care about is the universe mode and the full booking power

other then the universe mode all other game modes on offer in these wrestling games we have allready been to the moon and back on the ps2. i think we had basically seen everything by the time we got to here comes the pain. and then after that they just released the same thing year after year with updated stats

steve82

Post by steve82 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:12 am

WWE '12 has few faults in its highly-customizable Universe mode, which is intricately tied to the wide, wide variety of creative suites available to players. Universe takes a more straightforward, story-less view of the WWE, laying out programming in calendar form, allowing players to simulate various shows at a macro or micro level. It's here that the ability to create new content can truly come into play, as entire shows and brands can be completely revised, right down to the name. If you want to completely convert the WWE into WCW, you can do that.

The dedication to customization doesn't just end with the simulation of a WWE schedule. That's just one facet of the wide range of tools available. Creating arenas, logos, new finishing moves, entrance sequences and, of course, wrestlers are all here. The versatility and power of these modes are almost overwhelming, yet they themselves are built intuitively, with a focus on balancing simplicity and ease-of-use with depth. It works very well. I was able to create The Great Muta with relative ease, and my one-of-a-kind leopard print was crafted in mere minutes. Those wishing to rapidly create more comedic concepts will find exactly what they're looking for. Likewise those who relish the thought of painstakingly recreating Tatanka should have no problem. Players can even adjust existing wrestlers' moves, looks and attributes. Suddenly the notion of Zack Ryder being the strongest wrestler in the WWE isn't so far-fetched.

steve82

Post by steve82 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:16 am

CLOSING COMMENTS
WWE '12 features so much content that it's impossible to give due diligence here to each of its deep modes. Yet none of that depth would matter if the gameplay was sub-par. THQ's efforts in breathing new life into its core mechanics have paid off. Combat now has a natural flow that not only makes sense from the perspective of a player but from the perspective of someone watching a wrestling match take place. The tension and drama that should be present inside the ring are there, and the only reason that's possible is because there is a balance and fine-tuning in the mechanics.

What THQ has done here serves its audience spectacularly. WWE '12 retains and improves upon the already-great presentation of its predecessors, capturing a likeness of wrestling that is uncanny. And it plays just as well as it looks. This should be considered a milestone for the wrestling simulation genre. It's certainly a much-needed breath of fresh air. Let's just hope every year can continue to be this remarkable - the bar is now set very high.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:51 pm

steve82 wrote:other then the universe mode all other game modes on offer in these wrestling games we have allready been to the moon and back on the ps2. i think we had basically seen everything by the time we got to here comes the pain. and then after that they just released the same thing year after year with updated stats
Agree entirely, and that's why I'm cynical at the moment...I do enjoy the Smackdown vs Raw games a lot but all that's really different for the most part from one year to the next is an updated roster and revamped presentation. I'd still be buying it at launch anyway (just as I'm one of those people that constantly bickers about how bad WWE has gotten lately but still watch it :oops: ) but nice to see a decent review for the new game :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!