Thou Shalt Not Pass

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nokgod

Re: Thou Shalt Not Pass

Post by nokgod » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:41 pm

I triggered a nasty game breaking bug in Tomb Raider: Underworld just by going left at a fork in the road, instead of right :roll: 50% chance of failure.....great! It meant i couldn't ride my motorbike over a pit, completely confusing me for an hour or two, thinking i'd gone the wrong way and i was supposed to be doing something else. I resorted to looking online to see what i was meant to be doing only to discover it wasn't my fault! :evil:

The game actually contains a few ugly bugs (the others i managed to avoid) but if you want to enjoy the game without suffering, check out this page (it's spoiler free, if you haven't played it):

http://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TR8 ... notes.html
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:39 pm

^ I hated those motorcycle sections in Underworld. So many action games seem to implement a driving section that just turns out to be a fail.

Also found the rest of the game to be a bit buggy, various points at which id go for a jump and Lara would get caught on some invisible object in midair and plummet down. The bit with the swinging hammers you have to grab onto being really awkward and buggy for me.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:58 am

Age Of Empires:Age Of Kings (DS): Entering a 2 or 3 character profile name, harmless enough, right?-Not if you pick the 'Save And quit' Option during game.It's claimed it not only crashes the game, but renders the cart unusable, i assume here it 'bricks it' or similar.

Broken Sword:Shadow Of The Templars (GBA):If you visit Spain BEFORE visiting Syria, essential NPC fails to appear, thus making further progress impossible and you have to start from scratch.

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:28 am

The JSW attic bug was the first one I heard of (although I never got far enough to encounter it myself). Also on the Speccy, I think that it was impossible to complete Frankie Goes to Hollywood, as you could never become more than 99% human. Finally, there was a bug in Target Renegade on levels 2 & 5 where if you advanced far enough, while leaving the weapon behind, all the enemies would walk off and never come back - leaving you stuck - you had to either wait for the clock to run down on all your lives (6 minutes a life), or just reload the game (about 10 mins iirc).

I can't remember any from the Amiga days, beyond corrupt save disks. I also think that PS1 games must have had exceptionally good QC, because I can't think of many that even had bugs, let alone game breakers, so I consider that the 'golden age' for games!

Soul Calibur III on the PS2 had a nasty save game corruption bug that could not only ruin your story mode save, and all your unlocks, but could also mess with the whole memory card. Very annoying, and IMO pretty much the start of the series' decline.

On the PC, there are more than I can remember, pretty much any 'The Sims' game can go horribly pear shaped at any moment, something that seems to get worse with every release.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:17 am

snowkatt wrote:
Jekylls Phd wrote:Battlefield 3 on the 360. The no weapon bug ruins the multiplayer side of things

funny i thought games also had a single player mode
yeah, cause everyone buys BF3 for single player don't they? :roll:
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:42 am

I remember a glitch in Dragon Age Origins that I encountered. I completed a quest to find some npc's missing wife (who turns out to be a vampire or something iirc) only to never find the npc who I carried it out for ever again. He'd simply vanished. Not game breaking but effing annoying I can tell you.

Eat your nans pants

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:12 pm

That lock-up glitch in the initial copies of Super Paper Mario on Wii was annoying.

Then there's the data corruption glitch in Soul Calibur III: delete or move a save data file on the memory card that was made before SCIII and you get partial to total corruption :evil: . I only lost the Chronicles of the Sword data but you can lose everything (including other files on your memory card I've heard). The worst part is that they didn't even bother to fix this glitch for the Platinum release...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:02 pm

^^^ Yup had the same problem

Never corrupted any other files though.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Last boss battle during GTA:SA Saved when I though I could.. Corrupted had to start over

Pretty much any league ever in CM series. Do too many transfers, or censored up the database somehow and its gunna break sooner or later
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769