Thou Shalt Not Pass

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Hitman_HalStep

Thou Shalt Not Pass

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:38 pm

i didn't experience the glitch in oblivion stopping you from curing vampirism but my brother did :D ,i did hit the glitch on broken sword and baldurs gate dark alliance on gba stopping me progressing any further simply because i went to certain places in the wrong order.i appreciate games are so big that bugs like these are bound to slip through occasionally but that doesn't help the player that's lost potentially hours of game time.

i'll also throw in game save corruption,i remember reading after gta vice city was released there was a warning not to save at the ice cream van business because there was a good chance the save would corrupt,as i was reading it i realised that was where i last saved,much sweating and nail biting later thankfully it loaded and i immediately saved somewhere else before continuing.

so over to you,what's your,if any experience of bugs like these and how far back do they go?
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

snowkatt

Re: Thou Shalt Not Pass

Post by snowkatt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:43 pm

not really game breaking bugs
but in oblivion some times houses of npc's dissapear leaving only a door floating in the air
the interior wil load though
and the usual crashes to desktop

vampire bloodlines is a buggy game and near the end of the game there is a game breaking one that either crashes the game or sends you in a loop that i circumvent by diving in the sewers

saints row 2 has a tendency to randomly freeze though i havent seen that bug in ages any more
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:45 pm

In random order:

XIII on Xbox-Was unable to progress at point near the end as game refused to let me pick up essential item, even though it had the bloody icon hovering over it.

Fallout 3 DLC-Mothership Zeta-Essential NPC would'nt follow me and teleport pad would'nt work.Had to clear cache memory (360).

Xcom:Terror From The Deep:PS1-used to corrupt saves like a bast*ard and they took up lot of room on a memory card.

Oblivion-Dark Brotherhood chap getting killed leaving caves after approaching me, during Shivering Isles Exp.pack (PS3).

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Early Sierra games were full of that censored, on purpose! Did you forget to pick up that translator on the, now exploded, space station? Well FFFFFFFFUUUUUU.

I remember getting quite far into Doom 3 when id released a patch that invalidated your existing saves. Thanks guys! Crisis has a nasty bug right at the end boss where the heat seeking rocket launcher won't lock on. Luckily you just have to restart that level. Took me ages to work out it was the game and not me.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:52 pm

batman arkham city has a glitch on the xbox where if you install it to your hd there is a change your save game wil imitate batman and dissapear in the night

Jekylls Phd

Post by Jekylls Phd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Battlefield 3 on the 360. The no weapon bug ruins the multiplayer side of things

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Jekylls Phd wrote:Battlefield 3 on the 360. The no weapon bug ruins the multiplayer side of things

funny i thought games also had a single player mode

Jekylls Phd

Post by Jekylls Phd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Point taken but hasn't the selling point of the battlefield series always been their muliplayer experience?

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks to falling through the ground in non-battle scenes in both Skies of Arcadia and Beyond Good and Evil, and thus having no option but to switch the console off and on again, I've learned to save my game in an RPG at every point possible. Later, thanks to the same games, I learned to keep parallel saves.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:53 pm

snowkatt wrote:
Jekylls Phd wrote:Battlefield 3 on the 360. The no weapon bug ruins the multiplayer side of things

Didn't realise the original poster asked for single player only glitches.

Further to BF3 my MP glitch hate is when it won't let me deploy sometimes for no apparent reason. My SP glitch was when I was in campaign on two levels I had black shapes appear on screen at certain angles because it hadn't loaded the graphics properly lol!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

RetroMartin

snowkatt wrote:

Further to BF3 my MP glitch hate is when it won't let me deploy sometimes for no apparent reason. My SP glitch was when I was in campaign on two levels I had black shapes appear on screen at certain angles because it hadn't loaded the graphics properly lol!

RetroMartin

snowkatt wrote:

Mr Kipling

Post by Mr Kipling » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:05 pm

The initial release of Gran Turismo 2 would wipe your entire car garage if you saved your game after going to the test track.. :evil:

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:33 pm

The first batches of WWF No Mercy used to just wipe everything randomly. :(

Also Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy and Metroid Other M have a couple of locked door glitches people should watch out for. Fortunately I was warned about them before I encountered them.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:17 pm

Far Cry 2 had a fair few glitches on both the Xbox 360 and PS3...missions markers (and the missions themselves) would completely disappear whilst you were on route to them, and sometimes, missions wouldn't end at all even after you'd completed the objectives. Most of the time, going back to an earlier save and trying again cured it, but it also had a tendancy to corrupt all your saves as well once you were about 75% through the game...Ubisoft did eventually patch it, but the patch wasn't compatible with existing saves :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!