Things you hate about games you love.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mootown

Re: Things you hate about games you love.

Post by Mootown » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:53 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Mootown wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:OutRun Online Arcade (PS3) - my favourite current-gen game by a country mile... but no bugger is ever online to race against these days. Grrrr!
Add me to your PS3 - mootown
I'm thinking of getting the PS3 one, so I'll be up for a few races every now and again
Thanks for the invite and I'll gladly add you.

However, OOA was removed from PSN some time ago (Ferrari license expired, iirc) so it won't be possible. :(
Crap yeah I forgot about that :( Oh rubbish, I should have bought it at the time, I knew I'd forget..of all the games to remove as well!!
Lucky I have it on 360 but I play PS3 much more these days. Is there literally no way to get it now then?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Mootown wrote:Is there literally no way to get it now then?
For first-time buyers, not that I'm aware of.

When my PS3 broke (YLoD) and I replaced it with a PS3 "slim" I was worried the game would no longer be available to re-download from my "transaction history", i.e. that Sega had completely removed it from PSN. Thankfully they hadn't so I was able to re-download it to play on my replacement PS3.

I'm not aware of how "game sharing" works on PSN though so I don't know if that's possibly the only way to get the game now...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Lack of licences in Pro Evo.

The crappy balloon-animal style rendered graphics in Baku Baku.

TUBULAR!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:03 pm

Those who employ "snaking" on the otherwise brilliant Mario Kart DS when playing online. :x
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Flint

Post by Flint » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:29 pm

The multiple endings of Persona 4, making the true ending near impossible to find without a guide is bad enough but they make it way too easy to get the most depressing ending imaginable.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Boss enemies in the various Shining Force games who have a random 'instant death' spell that never fails to wipe your leader out.

M. Bison's super-duper 'Psycho Crusher' in Street Fighter Alpha 3, which takes out about 80% of your health and which you have to know from quite a bit of experience when he's about to do it to have a chance of blocking the f*cker.

A generic enemy soldier encountered hiding behind some crates at a certain point in Time Crisis Project Titan (PS1), whom it appears cannot be killed even when my cursor is positioned perfectly on him therefore making it impossible to progress further before the time runs out. Whether he can be killed using the proper light-gun thing rather than the controller I don't know.

Tails. Was always bloody annoying especially in bonus stages, and glad he can be turned off :mrgreen:
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:07 am

I love MvC2 on the Dreamcast but HATE the fact that you cant go 'back' if you select the wrong character and that you cant tell what alternate costume you've chosen. Irritating.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:33 am

Sheer amount of time tracking down last Alien of Xcom:Terror From The Deep (PS1) 'Terror Site' missions.

ewjim

Post by ewjim » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Playing Ghostbusters on 360 on hard - the horric re-load times when you die, but I never once complained as it played the theme tune, letting you forget that you sucked at it

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:48 pm

StarTropics on the NES may be my favorite game of all time.

But I'll go a step further -- not only is it a game I love with an element I hate, but that particular element is something I also love and admire it further for, despite my hatred for it. Yeah, it's a love/hate thing.

Item in question: The moment in the game when you need to input a password to continue... and the password is given by dipping the instruction manual in water to reveal.

Now, in the pre-Internet days, as someone who bought the game, this was a CROWNING MOMENT OF AWESOME when I figured it out and, indeed, read the secret code with my own instruction booklet.

But can you imagine buying a used copy or renting the game, without the manual, and getting to that point and just having to be content with being stuck there?!

What a ballsy, awkward design decision.
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:33 pm

NintendoLegend wrote:But can you imagine buying a used copy or renting the game, without the manual, and getting to that point and just having to be content with being stuck there?!

What a ballsy, awkward design decision.
Nothing wrong with the design of the game, obviously they didn't want people to buy a preowned copy did they? :wink:

For me, it's that bit in Super Mario Galaxy 2 where you have to control the bird....the motion controls just don't seem as responsive as they should be with it, leading to unfair deaths and (slightly) spoiling an otherwise perfect gaming experience.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:48 pm

SoupDragon wrote:Im currently replaying a few PS2 titles I love to go back to. That locked camera in The Getaway :evil:
I found the most annoying thing about that game was the unskippable cut scenes.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:05 am

Cliff Racers in Morrowind. One of the most annoying enemies ever! They are always 20 miles up in the air and take ages to get within stabbing range. By the time you kill it another 3 or 4 have turned up. If you try and run away you only end up finding more.
At least they go down easy i suppose.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:38 am

The levelling system in Oblivion. Horrible.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:45 am

Lag in Black Ops online, grrrrrr