Things you hate about games you love.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Things you hate about games you love.

Post by Megamixer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 am

Has this been done before? Oh well, I'm sure I'll be told if it has. Anyway, I was just wondering...what are the things you really hate about your favourite games? The little niggles, glitches, bad design decisions, crippling bugs and so on that you'd prefer to not bring up when discussing a cherished game/series.

For me, one that really p1sses me off is in the PS2-era GTA games where cars would disappear from inside garages for no reason. Especially annoying when you've stockpiled decent cars at all your safehouses and SUPER annoying in San Andreas when you've spent cash on modding cars and they vanish for no reason :evil: . I love these games but this does annoy me immensely.
Last edited by Megamixer on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Re: Things you hate about games you love.

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:48 am

OutRun Online Arcade (PS3) - my favourite current-gen game by a country mile... but no bugger is ever online to race against these days. Grrrr!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:04 am

Resi evil4 wii - QTE events.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:07 am

Hot Shots Tennis (PSP) - a quite brilliant game of tennis, but why oh why do I have to spend 75% of my time running around gardens/parks/villages???
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:20 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:OutRun Online Arcade (PS3) - my favourite current-gen game by a country mile... but no bugger is ever online to race against these days. Grrrr!
Add me to your PS3 - mootown
I'm thinking of getting the PS3 one, so I'll be up for a few races every now and again

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:22 am

I hate how much bullshit there is in SSFIV, despite liking the game quite a lot. Damage scaling, ultras and 3 move blockstrings to throw that I always forget to tech..

Third Strike, I don't like fighting Urien because every Urien in the world is the same - because there is only one way to play Urien.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:26 am

I hate how in Super SFIV they didn't draw the extra costumes for the character select screen so if you can't remember which costume you want you pick wrong - I never want to be gay cowboy Ken but it always seems to happen! All they needed was the character select images to change - other fighting games have done it...

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:28 am

Having to buy the costumes is pretty censored too, should be unlockable too..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

van

Post by van » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 am

80's Shmups with 3 lives and no continues!!

Original NES Ninja Gaiden JAQUIO

Mike Tyson

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am

- The goalkeepers in PS2-era PES games

- The two playable protagonists in Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood; great game, shame I had to play it as a pair of right tosspots

- Being forced to go all-out 'lightside' or 'darkside' in KotOR in order to get access to high-level powers and to beat the game. Why do so many RPGs do this instead of letting us play as morally-grey characters? Otherwise, you end up having to pick conversation options and choices based on how they correspond with your pre-chosen path, rather than making choices on an individual basis. Bioware are particularly guilty of this (except for DA:Origins, which was the only time I've seen them get it right). Winds me right up, that one.

- In-game 'collectibles' that do not yield any gameplay bonuses and are thus utterly pointless; too many examples to list

- The Vampire-Bloodgrass glitch in Oblivion; I lost a good month of my life trying to sort that out. Bad enough that it existed, even worse that they never bothered fixing it.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:54 am

Im currently replaying a few PS2 titles I love to go back to. That locked camera in The Getaway :evil:

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Any 360 game I play that no one else plays online.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:25 pm

FIFA and "scripted" matches/ seasons.......how many keepers can keep getting 10/10 :evil:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Mootown wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:OutRun Online Arcade (PS3) - my favourite current-gen game by a country mile... but no bugger is ever online to race against these days. Grrrr!
Add me to your PS3 - mootown
I'm thinking of getting the PS3 one, so I'll be up for a few races every now and again
Thanks for the invite and I'll gladly add you.

However, OOA was removed from PSN some time ago (Ferrari license expired, iirc) so it won't be possible. :(
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:46 pm

Seems like somebody has read some of my moans.