Saints Row the Third

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

steve82

Saints Row the Third

Post by steve82 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:11 pm

is anybody actually looking forward to this game?

it looks a bit dull in the preview vids

is it worth the 40 quid?

felgekarp

Re: Saints Row the Third

Post by felgekarp » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:18 pm

I thought this was supposed to be full of awesome, it's the first Saints Row game i've decided to buy anyway.
Splink!

steve82

Post by steve82 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:20 pm

supposed to be full of awesome?

are you trying to say my threads are crap?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:30 pm

No, I meant the game was supposed to be full of awesome.
Splink!

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:47 am

I just played the demo for character creation...I was very impressed. So many choices that you just don't see when it comes to character creation on consoles. Despite my dislike for Sandbox titles, this game looks over the top and silly and I definitely would enjoy picking it up.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:49 am

it sounds funny - i'm tempted - depends if it delivers on it's promise of utter silliness done well

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:22 am

Never really bothered with Saints Row before but the previews I've seen thus far make it look like a decent time waster. A bargain bin buy as there's too many other cracking games out this season :oops: but I'll get around to it eventually

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Read the games TM preview and it looks really stupid, but in a good way...

I'll def get this it looks like fun, but I wanna get saints Row 2 first.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:59 pm

steve82 wrote:is anybody actually looking forward to this game?

Answer your question? :lol:
steve82 wrote:it looks a bit dull in the preview vids
Yeah it looks a little over-the-top in the silliness department. I hope the core gameplay matches the previous games (intense action, cool missions, lots to do, great characterisation) without going too far into the stupid-for-stupid's-sake-ness. The Japanese gameshow promos looked ok, until that's all you saw over and over and over. :(
steve82 wrote:is it worth the 40 quid?
Would *I* pay £40 for it, seeing as I never buy full price any more? It's certainly worth the price, and anyone buying it would look to enjoy it very much indeed, especially as it looks to be a good advancement on the already superb Saints Row 1 and 2. Both those titles were 50-100hr titles as well. A pound an hour minimum? Better than £40 for 3hrs of Kane & Lynch 2! :lol:

I never buy full price as I said. Play.com (my usual place-du-purchase) has the pre-order Xbox 360 version at £38.89 and the PC version at £28.89 so waiting 2 or 3 weeks will easily see £10-£15 lopped off those prices. Plus by then the inevitable patch will be released.

Then I'll buy.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:04 am

Freestyler wrote: I never buy full price as I said. Play.com (my usual place-du-purchase) has the pre-order Xbox 360 version at £38.89 and the PC version at £28.89 so waiting 2 or 3 weeks will easily see £10-£15 lopped off those prices. Plus by then the inevitable patch will be released.
Exactly the same here, I've started to think a bit more sensibly about my games purchases, so when I can get the same game cheaper for the pc than for console, and there's no chance Mrs. Zol is interested in playing it, then pc's the better bet.

And with the way games are released these days with so many bugs, there really isn't any sense in paying a premium to buy a half finished game on release day, much better to give it at least a month, then judge it on the amount of angry users, and the availability of patches.

So yes I'm a bit excited about it, but I'm pretending it doesnt come out til mid december, same as with Skyrim.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:11 am

I have to blame the Publishers themselves for this turnaround.

For the longest time there has been this massive over-reliance on selling games within the first week. You could argue it's due to potential Piracy, but I think that's a sidestep. Warez sites usually have the games before release so anyone who wants to pirate it has ample opportunity to do so. The Pirated versions always come stripped of DRM and other annoying "Always on" rubbish. Hell, I've even heard from forums that stripping the DRM out of Assassin's Creed for PC (for example) makes the game run at least twice as fast, with higher texture resolution on the same hardware. That sort of overhead for the sake of Piracy protection is just mental.

Anyway, the point is that Publishers have the mentality of "SELL IT QUICK!! MAKE THE MONIES!!" even though the slow-burner games still sell. Homefront, regardless of the game's merits or quality sold a million in its first week. Those sales figures were enough for THQ, the game's Publishers, to immediately cancel any further franchise development and in fact fire or "rearrange" the studio responsible. What happens? Several months on we hear that Homefront is up to four million sales, slow-burner style. THQ do a massive about-face and suddenly there's talk of sequels.

Publishers used to play the long game. Now (because of Bobby Bleedin' Kotick) they're all after the quick sale. Slash and burn.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.