Is PS2 "Retro"?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spyke

Is PS2 "Retro"?

Post by Spyke » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Just a quick question really - as it's now been superceded by the PS3 for a few years, has it found a place in the "Retro Gamer's" hearts yet?

Ant ;)
PAL PS2, GC+freeloader, PAL PS1 (Jp-import-chipped), Jp Sega Saturn, PAL DC
Sore thumbs

Lord Innit

Re: Is PS2 "Retro"?

Post by Lord Innit » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Not for me it isn't. I reckon one whole generation between current and retro. When the next gen comes, then it will be retro.That's my formula anyway.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Its been the point of discussion a few times on here.

Some will say No, not likely mate

Some will say maybe

Others like me will say its 11 years old, and kids who had it as their first console will be young adults now, hitting their late teens and later those grounds it is retro to them as its around half their lives, and should be classed as retro as a result

Some will argue against this because it is the last generation, however, console favourites such as Megadrive, Snes, Saturn, N64 had less of a time at the for front with lifespans, and as such had a different impact in those terms.

Sega Megadrive had 1988-1996 as its glory years which is 8 years and is considered a retro console by most, yet one that has had a longer life span isnt, because it is more recent? The discussions dont add up, yet are always subjective around it.

Of course there are some that will say that the 16 bit computers arent retro either.

It maybe an age thing, a difference of opinion, but thats pretty much it in a nutshell
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:02 pm

There are still PS2 games being released by major publishers, and I think the consoles are still being manufactured too. So definitely not retro.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

doc_eggfan

Post by doc_eggfan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

I'll happily regard R-TYPE Final and Gradius V as retro games.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:15 pm

doc_eggfan wrote:Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.
:lol:

See that there? That's my brand new shiny signature.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:05 am

Lord Innit wrote:Not for me it isn't. I reckon one whole generation between current and retro. When the next gen comes, then it will be retro.That's my formula anyway.
Yep, that's EXACTLY how I define retro too...two generations back. :) So for me, no, PS2 is not retro.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:35 am

Lord Innit wrote:Not for me it isn't. I reckon one whole generation between current and retro. When the next gen comes, then it will be retro.That's my formula anyway.
Gamecube came before Wii, and some will call that retro?

I always think of retro games as those that you played as a kid, and looking to recreate that feeling of doing something for the first time (no sniggering at the back) so its a relative term. Retro for me is the early arcades and ZX Spectrum.

But then I do collect PS2 games as they are plentiful and very cheap, based on the fact that they will be considered "retro" at some point by somebody. Maybe this is just the OCD.
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:42 am

So in the late 90s you still thought of the Megadrive as current gen?

And if the PS2/GC/Xbox aren't retro then what are they? They certainly aren't current gen. Are they being held in limbo until the Gods announce they're officially retro? And what about the DC? That's from the same generation of hardware as those machines, but everyone seems willing to let that into the 'retro club'.

There's only one sensible definition definition of retro, and that's whether new, commercial (not hobbyist or homebrew) games are being released on it. By that definition, the PS2 became retro a few months ago.
Last edited by killbot on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:46 am

PS1 isn't retro, so its sequel isn't even close.

There is a difference between old and retro.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:04 am

I don't class PS2 as retro for some of the reasons already stated by others.

Those behind the much derided Future Classics now regular feature of Retro Gamer magazine would beg to differ though...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:14 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:PS1 isn't retro, so its sequel isn't even close.

There is a difference between old and retro.
What is it!? You could make millions with the answer!
IMO PS1 is retro, it came out in 1994, a time when the 3DO, Jaguar, CD32, Megadrive, SNES, Amiga, 32-X, Mega-CD were all available in the shops with games still being released, please define how the PS1 is not retro whist the others class as being so...you can't buy new hardware for any of them and no official games are being made anymore, that for me defines retro more than time alone, the PS2 being a prime example why you can't define retro by years or generations alone.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:19 am

Of course, all of this pretty much avoids the key point of the argument which is that retro is an entirely subjective term which tends to mean 'what you played when you were a kid'. To us (and most of us are in our 20s and 30s) this means somewhere between the Atari 2600 and the MD/SNES. But of course there's a large generation of kids in their teens and early 20s for whom it means the PS1 and even the PS2.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:24 am

killbot wrote:There's only one sensible definition definition of retro, and that's whether new, commercial (not hobbyist or homebrew) games are being released on it. By that definition, the PS2 became retro a few months ago.
Dunno, FIFA and Pro Evo have just been released, although if you're not online good luck finding a copy!

Also, a console's lifespan is heavily dependent on region - the Master System is a prime example.
Last official Japanese game release - 1989.
North America - 1991.
Europe - 1996.
But as we know, the SMS was (is?) a going concern in Brazil right into the 21st century...

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:26 am

Yawn.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD