Any new Homebrew Amiga games ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Amigapd

Any new Homebrew Amiga games ?

Post by Amigapd » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi,

Each month in retro gamer I see lots of 8 Bit homebrew games mentioned - especially the Commodore 64 - but does anyone know of any Amiga homebrew games being made ? The last one I think mentioned in Retro Gamer was Mr Bean Bag which seems to have stopped development a long time ago.

TMR

Re: Any new Homebrew Amiga games ?

Post by TMR » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Amigapd wrote:Each month in retro gamer I see lots of 8 Bit homebrew games mentioned - especially the Commodore 64 - but does anyone know of any Amiga homebrew games being made ? The last one I think mentioned in Retro Gamer was Mr Bean Bag which seems to have stopped development a long time ago.
There always seems to be far less in development for the 16-bit hardware and i suspect it's because they're harder machines to work with generally; compatibility between different CPUs or chipsets alone can become something of an issue and even something simple on other platforms like cleanly kicking the operating system out (and indeed switching it back on for exit since many Amiga games quit back to Workbench) can be fraught with difficulty.

That said, there's a review of Manhole for the Amiga in issue 96 along with a news item about Africa...

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:54 am

From a(-nother) developer point of view, I think part of it comes down to who bought which machine and why, as I mentioned in the thread about the death of 8-bits.

I think the majority of people who owned and programmed the ST and Amiga machines were those who'd seen their beloved 8-bit machine of choice fade from popularity and moved on to the next thing. Not a lot of people came in new and bought an ST/Amiga when the 16-bit consoles of the time provided a more straightforward gaming experience.

So when these people think of retro development, they go back to their first love, not their second.

There's also the case that if you bring your Speccy of C64 down from the loft, there's a good chance that its simple circuitry will still work. When you bring down your ST or Amiga there's a good chance that the capacitors in the more complex multi-voltage custom power supply puffed up and popped a long time ago and even if the processor boots up, the disk drive and peripheral circuits no longer work.

But yes, as TMR says, people expect better sprites, graphical effects, sound effects and music, and it's harder to achieve all of those on your own as you need expertise in meddling with different bits of hardware. The better games on these machines started to come from teams of developeres; and it's hard to pull a team of volunteer retro developers together.

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 am

joefish wrote:I think the majority of people who owned and programmed the ST and Amiga machines were those who'd seen their beloved 8-bit machine of choice fade from popularity and moved on to the next thing. Not a lot of people came in new and bought an ST/Amiga when the 16-bit consoles of the time provided a more straightforward gaming experience.
i've just had a thought, but i'm not sure if it makes sense yet; the generation of people who started out with 16-bit machines are, naturally, going to be a bit younger than the folks like you or me working on 8-bit code so perhaps they're too young right now? The members of that generation of gaming with an interest in programming haven't hit the wave of nostalgia that'd get them looking at their first love, the Amiga, ST, Megadrive or whatever, and thinking "i want to write a game for that".

The only person i know directly who has looked at the Amiga and ST over the last two years is Sack and he's about ten years younger than me; he's something of a polymath too though, and is currently working on five or six other ideas (one of which is shoving an ARM into a C64 or Atari 8-bit cartridge, he does hardware as well) and just finishing Reaxion off for the Spectrum to go out at Replay if all goes to plan.
joefish wrote:The better games on these machines started to come from teams of developeres; and it's hard to pull a team of volunteer retro developers together.
And keeping them all pulling in the same direction after that is like herding cats too! =-)

sack

Post by sack » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:34 am

TMR wrote: The only person i know directly who has looked at the Amiga and ST over the last two years is Sack and he's about ten years younger than me; he's something of a polymath too though, and is currently working on five or six other ideas (one of which is shoving an ARM into a C64 or Atari 8-bit cartridge, he does hardware as well) and just finishing Reaxion off for the Spectrum to go out at Replay if all goes to plan.
The hardware stuff is far on the backburner at the moment - I'm currently seperated from my hardware. I've got a lot to learn on that front, but I'm currently a position where I can ask around the office canteen if I need a hand with VHDL, so I'm interested in making some use of that.

On the Amiga front I've strapped for time but intrigued as to what I can do with something that is really an Atari 2600 on steroids. It's not exactly my first love, more something I lusted after when I ended up playing the 'I want a computer to help with my homework, dad' card a second time and ended up with an Archimedes instead.

I've made some progress though - I have a scrolling tilemap stuff running with the Blitter, so something sidescrolling might be forthcoming when time allows. Given the person with the designs and ideas is more inclined towards shooters I wouldn't rule that out :)

Compatibility-wise I don't know what we'd be looking it. My test hardware would be a stock A1200, but an A500 with 1mb expansion feels like a 'pure' Amiga seeing as that's what everyone I knew had back in the day. If at all possible I don't want to exclude later machines from running things from hard disks but I haven't got a clue if I can selectively enable and disable enough of the OS to load stuff in. There's always trackloading, but then people are stuck running things from floppies.

But first there's the small matter of this damn highscore routine, which should be the last bit of code for Reaxion...
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

Amigapd

Post by Amigapd » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Think I ve found the weblink for manhole

http://www.leehurleyproductions.freeiz. ... nhole.html

which seems to be a game and watch update - whilst I appreciate that the commercial games on the Amiga had large (compared to 8 bit machines) development teams the Amiga also had a strong bedroom programmer history too and its a shame this appears to have died earlier than the 8 bit machines. Whilst the expectations are higher on the 16 bit machines there were also many tools available on the Amiga to make it easier for an individual to create games - AMOS seemed to create a big growth in shareware games and there were many samples / music / utilities for sprite creation and game map tools made available via public domain libaries to help the bedroom coder.

Maybe it is a generation - stage of life thing - with Amiga shareware coders of the past now having little spare time due to either family commitments or working on new media,

Anyway if there are any programers still working on a planned Amiga release or to finish off a project which has been left gathering dust then it would be great to hear about it.

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:37 am

Looks like you might be getting your wish... =-)