NEO GEO POCKET

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: NEO GEO POCKET

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:09 am

Black Ridge wrote:I am correct in thinking all NGP & NGPC are region free?
Yep - as you can tell from the US ratings on some of my carts...

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 am

Ah, another one into the cult of the Pocket Color ;)

Folks here will tell you what I have heh... now, I might think about a US set when I get a job...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:36 pm

ngpc is a fantastic little machine, the only thing that could make it better is a backlit screen. Spent many many hours playing match of the millenium, turf masters and sonic. i got one of the blister pack ones for £60 about 6/7 years ago, and once id paid for it i then noticed a new japanese one too all boxed for £20 so i had to get that one also :D

my missus then went out and bought one for herself after playing with mine and fell in love with it (no idea why she didnt just play on any of my 2) and the beauty is if you decide to ever get rid you will make your money back on it easily (we ended up trading the missus' boxed one in gamestation about 3 years ago for £30! - was a bit gobsmacked when that came up on the till esp as the other shops offered us £3/4)

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 pm

mainvein wrote:ngpc is a fantastic little machine, the only thing that could make it better is a backlit screen. Spent many many hours playing match of the millenium, turf masters and sonic. i got one of the blister pack ones for £60 about 6/7 years ago, and once id paid for it i then noticed a new japanese one too all boxed for £20 so i had to get that one also :D

my missus then went out and bought one for herself after playing with mine and fell in love with it (no idea why she didnt just play on any of my 2) and the beauty is if you decide to ever get rid you will make your money back on it easily (we ended up trading the missus' boxed one in gamestation about 3 years ago for £30! - was a bit gobsmacked when that came up on the till esp as the other shops offered us £3/4)
I find any handheld without a backlit screen very annoying now, my Neo Colour goes unused though occasionally play Metal Slug and that Tennis game on it.

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:19 am

I would very happily eat my toes if it meant I could get a backlit version of this baby.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:49 pm

My NGP turned up today. Brand spanking new! Thought the screen was broken until i realised there was a contrast setting! Loving Puzzle Link (or Puzzle Tsunagete Pon!). Will definately be getting me a NGPC. I'm big on pick up and play gaming as I dont always have the time to sink my teeth into games. Might have to go for Turf Masters as everyone is recommending it.

leightonandoff

Post by leightonandoff » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Make sure you get Metal Slug 1st Mission. Absolutely fantastic game. Probably my favourite Metal Slug. It's either that or X, but this thread isn't about Metal Slug, so I'll stop now.

doc_eggfan

Post by doc_eggfan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:48 pm

I love the NGPC, the games have a unique and timeless pixel art style, and the micro-switch thumb stick is fantastic, but unfortunately quite noisy. I get told off for all the annoying little clicky noises, and thus don't get to play it unless I'm on my own.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Yeah really loved mine too, one of the best handhelds around at the time, I had a complete UK game collection bar Reversi (had the jap version) easily better than the GBC in terms of build and screen quality, i used to run the NGPCUK site, but contributed to the lists on neo-geo.com mainly the unreleased games list. But sadly as usual over the years, i end up selling things, still play the games via emulation on my PSP now though, now quite the same but still good to play them.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:47 am

^ Yeah, Race is a nice little emu - AND THERE'S A BACKLIGHT! :D

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:25 am

This reminds me, now that it's dark in the evenings i need to get back into tinkering and I've got an NGPC waiting for me to transplant a light into it, I'll be sure to post the results
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:47 am

Damn you guys, I may have to go and find myself another one of these now...I miss it

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Got myself an NGPC today to replace one I fried several years ago.I bought an NGP about three weeks ago,virtually brand new, the screen is hard to see but it's a neat little addition to my collection.I only have four games,Pac Man,Metal Slug 1st Mission,King of Fighters R-2 and Puzzle Bobble Mini but they are all complete.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Lord Innit wrote:I only have four games,Pac Man,Metal Slug 1st Mission,King of Fighters R-2 and Puzzle Bobble Mini but they are all complete.
Those are some of my fave games for the system.

No backlight and the limited amount of games are the only real downsides to the NGP, it's a great little handheld, such a same production stopped so early in its life.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:14 am

Paulie wrote:
Lord Innit wrote:I only have four games,Pac Man,Metal Slug 1st Mission,King of Fighters R-2 and Puzzle Bobble Mini but they are all complete.
Those are some of my fave games for the system.
Pac Man gets the most attention from me.It is such a spot on conversion.