NEO GEO POCKET

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Black Ridge

NEO GEO POCKET

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:01 am

So i've just bought one of these New on Ebay for £13 incl p&p. It's an original (not colour) platinum console and I have no idea where to go with it now. I'm aware that there are only a handful of games for it (although wiki states that it is forward compatible with most* NEO GEO POCKET COLOUR games).

Can anybody tell me

A) What essential games are on the system/s
B) What games are easy to play without knowledge of how to read Japanese

Thanks in advance

DreamcastRIP

Re: NEO GEO POCKET

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:54 am

Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ewjim

Post by ewjim » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:28 am

metal slug buddy. no matter what console its always a winner

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Anything with Capcom and SNK in the same title is good

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:35 pm

You've got yourself a thankless task trying to find all the black and white games mate. Almost impossible, unless you're sitting on a goldmine, even then you'll struggle. :wink:

Go here:

http://neo-geo.com/ and go to where it says Master List (in the top story about the new Retro gamer mag), click on that, then click on Neo Geo Pocket Master List.....that'll give you all the information you'll ever need :)

I always found the cheapest games on the NGPC gave me the most fun...Pacman, Neo Geo Cup '98, Neo TurfMasters. If you like fighters then Match of the Millennium is a must, but you're well catered for, on that front. As mentioned, the Metal Slug games are great. Most of the puzzle games are what you'd expect (puzzle bobble and Shanghai Mini were faves of mine) You'll find most expensive games are pretty much the worst (Evolution and Cotton are the exceptions) Stuff like Coolboarders, Pocket Reversi, Baccarat aren't really very good at all....awful, IMO.

If you plan on getting all of them, be prepared to put the best part of a grand aside, if not more now...... :|
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:21 pm

I still reckon you can get all colour games for under £800..if you can find them.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:32 pm

cheers for the info guys

I always wanted one but never got round to getting one as a kid. i'm definately going to buy some beat 'em ups and some puzzle games for this lil gem. Although now I want a NGPC....

My bro has a decent Wonderswan collection and I wanted something different so I thought i'd give this a shot seeing as the console was cheap. Big fan of Street Fighter & I like KOF so it appears there are a few titles for me. Most of what I'm looking at is reasonably priced too.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:42 pm

NG is a fab little system, so sad it did not get the sales it deserved in the age of the gameboy.

If I were you I'd grab a colour one as they aren't hard to find and not that expensive. The games are another matter though- the common ones are easy and cheap though.
I loved Metal Slugs (1&2), Turf Masters golf, Pac Man, Sonic, match of the Millenium, Bust a move, Cotton (that one gets expensive)...man there's tons. Follow some links provided and google reviews. Good system.

I always wanted a Wonderswan colour myself, although the language barrier always put me off. :)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:26 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:I still reckon you can get all colour games for under £800..if you can find them.

yeah, you're probably right. Most of the regular games don't seem to be fetching that much now i've had a look. Prices are in a bit of a dip....so that's a good thing for the OP :D
kiwimike wrote:...man there's tons.
well, 39. (colour)and what, 5? (B&W) PAL titles :wink: A small, but beautifully formed library, i say.

@Black Ridge, here's a link to my collection (before i sold it all)...just missing the most expensive game (Pocket Reversi). Should give you an idea of what to look for :)
http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad18 ... ollection/
Those numbers above relate to PAL titles....there's obviously loads more JAP stuff out there.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:52 am

Had my NGPC for between 18 months and 2 years now. Still only have seven games for it but the phrase "quality not quantity" could have been invented for this thing:

Fatal Fury First Contact
King of Fighters R2
Neo Turf Masters
Pocket Tennis Color
Puzzle Bobble Mini
Puzzle Link 2
Sonic Pocket Adventure

Definitely one of the greatest handhelds ever (but I like the Game Gear so what do I know? :lol: )

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:19 am

I felt Fatal fury was the worst fighter the NGP had to offer, Match of the Millenium on the other had is one of the best fighters on any machine.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:51 am

^It was a bit of a mess attack buttons wise.

COLLECTING ADVICE!!
Only get the good games.
Getting them out of box is cheap, but the boxes are bloody lovely.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:36 am

Well to start me off I've got

Neo Geo Cup 98 B/W Boxed Complete - £5.24
Puzzle Link B/W Boxed Complete (NEW but not sealed)- £14.99
King Of Fighters R-2 Boxed Complete - £5.72

I'm definately going to be getting a NGPC now. I have no idea if what I've paid for the above is any good. Definately going to be picking up what some of you guys have. Would prefer all items boxed/complete but it seems when SNK went bust a great deal of their games came without due to them being sold in bundles.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:51 am

You going for the UK set? They all came boxed.
Retropassion reborn

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:35 am

PAL copies as a preference but I'm not too fussed. As long as the games are in English or playable without knowledge of Japanese. I am correct in thinking all NGP & NGPC are region free?