Arcade cabinet or game console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which one would you choose?

Arcade cabinet
65%
Game console
35%

Total votes: 26

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:25 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: :roll: :shock:

I can't bear the 'it must be good because its Japanese' argument, its illogical. Atari and Midway led the field from America. Japanese slick and neat? Bland and boring imo, you won't find one in my house. I might as well play my Dreamcast instead, because that's what they always remind me of - cheap consoles that nobody bought.

Missile Command, Star Wars, Tron... fantastic games with oodles of playability, there's no need to play much else. They also adapt well to a range of games if you do decide to have some variety, such as Centipede, Marble Madness, STUN Runner, Firefox, Afterburner... these are classic controllers that set standards for many machines that followed and nothing quite matches the way these custom controls suck you into the game.

;)
Where did I say it must be good because it's Japanese? I just said I much prefer J-gaming to Western gaming. :wink:

I think our difference on this subject stem from the fact that you seem to be into 80's games whereas I am definitely into 90's arcade games when the likes of Sega, SNK, Taito and Capcom ruled the arcades. By this time the old Atari were practically dead and buried with only Midway keeping up Western gaming in arcades with titles like Mortal Kombat, NARC and Smash TV.

I'm not denying the games you mention deserve their place in history or anything, I'm talking about arcade machines and games in the context of this thread: I.E owning one at home. And in this case I really don't like Western dedicated cabs. It just isn't practical and they don't mean as much to me as being able to play modern shooters/fighting games on a proper Japanese cab.

:)

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 am

Kaede wrote:I'm talking about arcade machines and games in the context of this thread: I.E owning one at home.
Me too :twisted:

Opposing ends of the spectrum. Isn't being a gamer great :D

You're right though: My 'golden age of gaming' is in the mid to late 80's, where Sega, Taito and Capcom ruled the arcades ;)

I'd love to own a Sega Turbo...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:22 pm

Kaede wrote: I think our difference on this subject stem from the fact that you seem to be into 80's games whereas I am definitely into 90's arcade games when the likes of Sega, SNK, Taito and Capcom ruled the arcades. By this time the old Atari were practically dead and buried with only Midway keeping up Western gaming in arcades with titles like Mortal Kombat, NARC and Smash TV.
In the 90s, most arcade games that was made by Sega, Namco, Capcom, Konami and many other Japanese game companies had became such massive appeal to me. I don't why but I think it's maybe the boundaries of video gaming had went through a lot of changes in recent years.

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:24 pm

Kaede, try looking for a naomi or an egret, i think those are probably the best candy cabs around, most candy cabs are perfect for cps2, or MVS games anyway. Naomi cabs might restrict you a bit but there are tons of quality titles available on it for cheap, its the perfect cab to own really - spikeout, virtua tennis, dead or alive 2, powerstone, radilgy = brilliant 8)