Arcade cabinet or game console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which one would you choose?

Arcade cabinet
65%
Game console
35%

Total votes: 26

thl

Arcade cabinet or game console

Post by thl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:37 pm

When I first had a go on the arcade cabinet, I was so impressed by the performance of the machine. It was so powerful that it managed to render the graphics and game speed very accurately. Sound effects and BGMs also fitted in really well with the gameplay. The controller for it was so brilliant that it was so simple to get a grip on it. Enabling the movement of the directional stick and the hitting the buttons was so much fun. I particurlarly enjoy playing on fighting games such as the Street Fighter II series.

But when the game consoles arrived, it took it to another direction. The graphics are sometime trimmed down through the layers and pixels (depending on the games that's going through conversion). By using either a joystick or control pad, it was a lot easier to handle. Stylised, small, and better grip. It was so simple to get loads of video games as they available at stores on either cartridge, floppy disk, cassette, CDs, etc. Plus a lot of peripherals were made to support the needs for the consoles which made it very interesting.

Since I've play both machines throughout the years, which one would you like to have the most?
Last edited by thl on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:44 pm

I play on consoles far more than my cab, but that is just for convenience. I can sit on the couch and play a console game, but have to go to the games room and stand up (with no game saves) on the cab.

I would always choose the cab over the console in theory, but in practice the consoles get a lot more use.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:17 pm

Cab every time. There's just something about the physical presence of the thing, it adds to the atmosphere. It probably only makes a difference to those of us who remember the classic arcade era of the 80s though, being largely mental (the effect that is, though equally applicable to the 80's).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:53 pm

For arcade games there really is no substitute for playing them on a cab.

In terms of consoles though, everything is so well emulated now and since you can use virtually every console joypad known to man with your PC nowadays too, its a dedicated emulation PC all the way for me for everything but the most modern gaming.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Zorrobandito

Post by Zorrobandito » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:37 am

For most arcade games, the arcade cabinet kicks any joypad's arse. With fighting games and shoot-em-ups the control gulf is particularly noticeable.

I always found it very difficult to pull off dragon-punches and hadukens on the pads (even the superb SNES pads) and hammering buttons with your fingers instead of your thumb for shooters is much better.

The funny thing is though, after setting up some of the console emulators I found some of those games to control better too. Sonic the Hedgehog responds brilliantly to the stick / button separation. Also, there were some console games where you felt like you were pressing the D-Pad *into* the controller (Megadrive Speedball 2 springs to mind) and these benefit hugely from the cabinet's control panel, saving me from the 'control pad claw' I used to get after extended sessions.

That's not to say that all console games are better but I've found a surprising number do benefit.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:28 pm

Cab.
1. Your mate is Unlikley to copy you.
2. You can make money with it.
3. Its like having the arcade at home.
4. I do like a good arcade
Watching you sleep since 1990

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:21 pm

Although you'd get more choice of games on console, but with a lot of games you can get the boards and switch them so no problem. Or simply get a nice MAME cab. I'd love that.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:23 pm

What about a mvs cab? that has interchangeable carts dosent it?
Watching you sleep since 1990

Post by * » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:09 pm

What about Superguns?
Consoles that play real arcade boards. :D

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:57 pm

I want a Street Fighter 2 dedicated cab but the current cash situation means I can't. It was so much better at the arcade, even though I couldn't go a day without playing it on my SNES back then. It'd look good in my games room. Real good. Also complimented by a Simpsons, Guns n' Roses or Terminator 2 pinball machine.

I can only dream... :(
真・豪鬼

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:24 pm

If I could choose it would be an Outrun dedicated sit-down cab
Or Star Wars , or possibly Space Harrier
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:43 am

A nice 4 player Super Sprint cab would be excellent. :D
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:12 am

paranoid marvin wrote:If I could choose it would be an Outrun dedicated sit-down cab.

Or Star Wars, or possibly Space Harrier
Another sit-down arcade cabinet I remember are Daytona USA, Chase HQ and After Burner II.

Also Enduro Racer had a motorcycle installation made for it, which looks so fun to ride on. :D

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:16 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:A nice 4 player Super Sprint cab would be excellent. :D
Don't forget 4 player option for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and WWF Wrestlefest.

X-Men also allows up to 4-6 players to join in.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:18 am

and of course Gauntlet
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"