Bull****

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

Bull****

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:50 pm

Apparently you can only buy and download the ps1 games for psp by using a ps3.

Huge opportunity for psp revival gone. :( :evil:
Last edited by Elgin_McQueen on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:55 pm

Er...

What am I missing? You'd need the PSP to play them on, and the whole point of it is PS1 games on the PSP.

Or were you expecting a physical republishing in UMD format?

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:07 pm

The ability to buy and download them from a pc is what i'd like. I'm not paying £400 for a crap in a box I don't want just so I can play PS1 games.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Sabreman

Re: Bull****

Post by Sabreman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:40 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Apparently you can only buy and download the ps1 games for psp by using a psp.
Ah, hang on - rereading and thinking about what you're saying I'm assuming this is a typo and you mean you can only download them via a PS3? If so yeah, I totally agree. You just had me a little confused for a moment :)

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Sabreman wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Apparently you can only buy and download the ps1 games for psp by using a psp.
Ah, hang on - rereading and thinking about what you're saying I'm assuming this is a typo and you mean you can only download them via a PS3? If so yeah, I totally agree. You just had me a little confused for a moment :)

Lmao, you're totally right, that's what it's supposed to say. I'll change it now. :lol: :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:51 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Apparently you can only buy and download the ps1 games for psp by using a PS3.
Corrected.

I heard this a few days ago. Pretty stupid decision, it immediately rules out any possibility of me upgrading my PSP firmware, leaving me with some large exploits that can be used for nafarious purposes. There'll no doubt be hacked downloads available soon enough that will be tansferrable from PC to PSP.

I'm a bit 'meh' about it anyway - I already have a portable PS1 that I used before the PSP came along.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:20 pm

Why on earth are Sony doing this

People who buy a £500 console are (probably) not going to be interested
in retro-gaming

A wasted opportunity indeed
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

tssk

Post by tssk » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:39 pm

I'd love to be able to do this using a PS3.

Or a PS2, Mac or PC.

Why can't it be done?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:08 pm

They're practically forcing piracy upon us. Pay £400 for PS3, or download and install the rip from PC? For a game I can buy for less than a fiver!
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:26 pm

More ridiculousness from Sony. It's tragic and I really wish they'd just stop being dicks. I'm amazed at how such an established company could mess up so consistently.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:29 pm

The sad thing is, I know of people who've aready had orders from their kids to get one. They're now trading on brandname alone, they can do pretty much what they please. Though that price makes even those people baulk. A bit.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:19 pm

Now this really is tragic. I love my PS1 games and have been waiting for this firmware for quite a while. Now I have to wait until March and spend the equivalent of one month's wages working part time at my local Sainsburys just to play some 10 year old game on the move! Pathetic!

I hope that there will be one way of downloading PS1 games to the PSP via a PC. Perhaps someone could write a program that makes images of PS1 discs so that they can be playable on PSP?

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Utini

Post by Utini » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:20 pm

GP2X all the way, I tells ya!
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:04 pm

I was really looking forward to come bishi bashi special and command and conquer on my PSP, now what's the point?

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:21 am

The prices for the games can be steep too so the service isn't gonna revive the PSP's fortunes.