Is the PS1 over-rated and do you think its aged badly

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

cdoty

Re: Is the PS1 over-rated and do you think its aged badly

Post by cdoty » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Was it overrated? No, there were a lot of decent games on it. Surprises like Poy Poy were amazing, and the more standard games like Diablo were good.

Has it held up well? No not really, for 3D games swimming polygons are hard to look at. I believe the PS2 and XBox will hold up a little better, the 3D on those systems doesn't feel as primitive.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:40 am

I do think that a lot of the games of the PS1/N64/Saturn generation looked very ropey indeed. I think it was because it sat in the limbo stage of being after 3D games had become the norm, but before consoles had decent-enough hardware to make them look good. 2D games on those platforms tended to look a lot better. There were some good exceptions, though.

However, in terms of gameplay I think that the PS1 had some brilliant titles; the ISS Pro Evolution and Tony Hawk games were superb, and there were some excellent platformers like Crash and Spyro.

The PS1 is second behind the PS2 as the retro console I still play the most.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

DoctorForbin

Post by DoctorForbin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:57 am

the fact that I would be happy to play a lot of PS1 games on my ipod or phone is surely a sign that the better games have aged well?

This is more a software quality than console tech question really.
THERE...IS...ANOTHER...SYSTEM......

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:02 am

Well that's time for you - things age. Definitely not overrated.

At the time, going from my SNES to the PSOne was like being transported into the future. Maybe we all got a bit carried away, but it was a sensation.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:32 pm

There's actually something about the early 3D graphics of the PS1 and Saturn that I find kind of charming. Oddly I don't get it with the N64 or Jaguar. :?

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Its great

Smackdown 2 is still one of the best wrestling games of all time

Bishi Bashi Special still rocks as well

So the graphics arent ultra smooth? So what its 16 years old? Ive missed something innit?
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:48 pm

I dont think the playstation is over rated. The problem is, as has been mentioned a few times in this thread, that the Playstation was saturated with some real shite games, and it can often be remembered for the dross rather than the devine.

N64 and Saturn had weaker catalogues in terms of size, but id say in a ratio of "killer app" to "rubbish", they faired much better.

Yes, i do play more N64 games now than PS1 games, but I think that is because I can lose myself in some of the better PS1 games (MGS, SOTN, Tekken 3, GT2, GTA etc) and become totally immersed, whereas with the N64, I can sort of "drop in and out" of games easier.

Hmm, in lamens terms, i guess i mean some N64 games are much more immediate and accesible than PS1 games.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Is it overrated? IMO nope. I can't rate it highly enough tbh, on so many levels.

It was the era gaming grew up. It was no longer geeky or childish for adult gamers to be playing, the marketing emphasising the coolness was spot on.
The games were great, from Final Fantasy that hooked westerners into RPGs, the original Tomb Raider, the outstanding ports of Ridge Racer and Doom, Wipeout...the retro compilation packs...The controllers themselves were as close to perfect IMO as demonstrated by the fact more or less the same one is still on the PS3...You have games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, MGS which really seemed to bump up the mature rating. Not cheesey custer revenge or ott silly MK type gore, but good serious stuff.

If I was my pick my fave system from history, it would most likely be PS1. I don't think I have ever enjoyed gaming as much before or since, and I thank Sony for what the PS1 did to make gaming as mainstream as a video player.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:35 pm

The N64 had a far better quality/crap ratio but if you didn't own a Playstation or at least have a friend who did then you missed out on a LOT of the best games of the 90's. So no, i'd say it's definitely not over-rated. There are exceptions but early 3d of all systems generally looks awful now but i can accept that, what i don't like about this console though is the sheer amount of games that have overlong crap CGI cut scenes. They almost never blended seamlessly into the games and 90% of them were crap even at the time.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Definitely not overrated.. But imho it has aged quite badly.. But I still love the games on it..

Tomb Raider blew my socks off when new, Crash games, Syphon Filter (looks a bit ropey these days) Tenchu, Driver, GTA, MGS, ISS Pro Evo 2, all classics and have stood the test of time..

Loads of others could be thrown into the mix..

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

llj

Post by llj » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:06 pm

It's a little overrated, but I think the games are still fun to play. Like all the other consoles of the 32 bit era, the 3d graphics have aged worse than graphics of any other console generation since pre-NES era.

Hardware-wise it's my least favourite console of its era. Same goes for the PS2 and its era. But one cannot the deny the greatness of the games made for it.

retrogoodies

Post by retrogoodies » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:07 am

i say no but they did sell loads of ps1 ,has it aged badly ,like all thing that era it looks worse now due to how much graphics have moved on and how we get used to playing fast paced games on hd tv`s and some people still moan that this gerneration of console`s is out of date for graphics and frame rates .
love my ps1 as missed the megadrive snes bit as was out on my bmx but got a ps1 for after the pub sessions .
retrogames for sale at http://retrogoodies.ebid.net

GREENHORN

Post by GREENHORN » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:44 pm

As overated as any other console of that era.

Its bound to of aged as other consoles, computers have done in the past to bring us to were we are today.

Maybe one day we will be asking the same of the PS3, 360, Wii and even online, and handhelds, as technology continues to grow.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Over-Rated? No
Badly Aged? Hell yes. It's one ugly, ugly thing to behold, I can't play any of the titles now save for MGS

James A

Post by James A » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:50 am

It looks dated but it still has amazing games on it so for me no its not over rated. Personally this is the console that really got me back into gaming after a couple of years out of it. Compared to the DC and Xbox though i still think its stands well.