Is the PS1 over-rated and do you think its aged badly

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Is the PS1 over-rated and do you think its aged badly

Post by Shinobi » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:59 pm

I've been playing and almost completed Parasite Eve 2 recently.. Back in the day I though it was one of the nicest looking games ever.. Now it looks terrible, bad Camera angle's and horrible controls.. The last two bosses Eve's baby and Eve are a censored take.. The baby is really easy to beat(but time consuming), Eve seems impossible

These days nearly every 3d PS1 game has aged very badly.. With the exceptions listed below. 2d games like Hot Blood Family, Nemesis/Gradius, Little Ralph, Rapid Reload, Thunderforce V still look good now... Even D my absolute favourite PS1 (which me and my friend used to complete about 4 times in a row) still looking amazing and has superb atmosphere but is really slow!!! I play and 1cc Final Fight and Shadow Warriors every week, two games over 20 years old hold up

To me the killer apps, that still hold up today

Final Fantasy particularly Final fantasy 7 which single Handedly gave the PS1 its cult status
Sudikon 1 + 2... I've completed Sudikon 1 a few times getting all 108 stars superb game branching storys(stupidly expensive to buy these days)
Vandal Hearts too easy and non of the Characters actually stay dead when killed which spoils the atmosphere a bit(again way to expensive
Kouldeka Retro JC will disagree with me
Rapid Reload superb Contra clone again too expensive to buy
X Com 1
Tenchu 1 let down by its camera
Strider 1 + 2
Pang Collection
Parasite Eve 1 never got a uk release FMV was never bettered
Time Gal
Resident Evils bettered on the cube and Dreamcast
Hot Blooded Family

Mostly all 2d games in that, I hear Kula World and the X6800 Castlevania are supposed to be awesome not played it and it's too pricey to buy

Games I didn't like
Wipeouts, too hard bad controls but it had famous bands like Chemical brothers so all the Chavs and ravers bought it because it was cool
Any EA Sports game charity shops can't give them away
Metal Gear good not great all those cut scene's Pyshco Mantis was a work of Genius
Croc, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, lomax, 3d platform games that aged badly
Toshiden sold god knows how many Playstations.. I remember Toshiden and Saturn Virtual Fighter side by side nobody played Virtual Fighter dated now
Destruction Derby dated glitchy
Legend of Kartia just Buffy the Vampire Slayer
All the other killer apps, Castlevania, Capcom collections Taito Collections are now widely available on all the current gen consoles and handhelds, and much cheaper
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Re: Is the PS1 over-rated and do you think its aged badly

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Is the Playstation overrated? No, not really. It was the best system of its era as an all rounder, it has games that cover most bases, its marketing really helped gaming become socially acceptable again and its a fairly powerful little box.

Has it aged badly? Not as badly as its competitors. Many games look like chunky blocky messes now, but pick the right titles and you'll get decent graphics, playability, or if you're lucky both.

Its still a system I go back to.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:15 pm

I think that because of the larger libary it is easier to find bad games. Saying that though there are more than enough games that hold up out of the 3D ones.
Crash Bandicoot 1,2 & 3
Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash
Spryo 1,2 & 3
Gran Turismo 1 & 2
Reisdent Evil 1,2 & 3
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy 7,8 & 9
Chrono Cross
Ridge Racer Type 4
Tekken 1,2 & 3 (got nothing on the arcade versions like)
Silent Hill
Driver
Ape Escape
Vagrant Story
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1,2 & 3

And yes me and you are in disagreement over which 3D games hold up.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:26 pm

Yes and yes!

I think most if not all of the 3D games on the machine look horrible now. The only games I have that I enjoy playing on the machine today are the 2D GTA games (which I prefer to the 3D ones) most of the other 2D games that I like on the machine can be played better elsewhere.

DoctorForbin

Post by DoctorForbin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:27 pm

I very much went the other way. Didn't want anything to do with PS1 back in the day (agree that early 3D is ropeu), but now I'm constantly delighted to turn up games for the machine. It's less the main franchises, than the oddities that make this fun to me.
THERE...IS...ANOTHER...SYSTEM......

steve82

Post by steve82 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:41 pm

porsche challenge still looks nice

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:49 pm

I don't think it's overrated at all. The 32-bit era was a revelation. It's great to look back at the early 3D games and see how devs wrestled with and eventually mastered the new graphical ideas. It was a magical time to be a gamer. The playstation's importance in the history of gaming can never be understated or overrated in my opinion. And that's coming from a hardcore Sega diehard.
Thoughts and prayers.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 pm

i have an n64, saturn and psone, the psone gets the least amount of play time.

back in the day people used to go on about how powerful the ps1 was compared to the saturn.... tbh looking at them now theres not much in it, also i find a lot 3d games on the saturn look cleaner than similar titles on psone.

i keep mine for games like raycrisis, rtypes, rtype delta, ridge racer type 4 and star gladiator

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:08 pm

PS1 is far from over-rated.Played host to some fantastic games (i'd add Einhander, Colony Wars 1+2 to those mentioned).

3D is of course going to age badly on any system, as new generations are ushered in, the power avaiable to developers is greatly increased.At the time, things like Robocop 3 (DID), Starglider 2, Midwinter 2, Hunter etc on ST/Amiga blew me away, then the likes of AVP on Jaguar and Toh Shin Den on PS1-Looking at them now, they seem primitive, rough etc.

You could name numerous current gen games suffering from bugs, glitches (day 1 patches now seemingly the norm), poor camera's etc.

Res.Evil Remake on G.C-Still looks fantastic, but has the control scheme many loathe.

Xcom? Bloody amazing (just put it on my PSP), an all time fav.game of mine, but lets not forget it was an 'enchanced' Amiga/PC game (CD music, faster than Amiga version etc).Bet if you played the Amiga game today, it'd feel incredibly slow.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:12 pm

DC might well have had 'better' versions of PS games like Res.Evil 2, 3, Soul reaver etc, but they were just cosmetic touch up jobs-PC ports in many cases.

Better frame rate, increase in resolution, maybe some VMU bonus stuff, but not really worth buying again if you owned the PS1 version.

Personally don't feel PS1 has aged any worse than the N64 or Saturn.

This thread feels similar to the other current 1 about which games your best left having fond memories of, rather than playing.

If i was to fire up say F-22 or Virtua Racing on MD or Starfox on Snes, sure the 3D would seem wretched on those systems.

StealthAssassin

Post by StealthAssassin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:33 pm

I don't think the PlayStation is overrated - come on it made gaming "cool". The hardware looked great and still does. Everything from the now iconic "PS" logo to the triangle, circle, square and X input buttons and the minimalist aesthetic just said "futuristic" at the time. Combine that with an impressive marketing campaign and a diverse software library and you have a machine that easily resonated with a lot of people. It really was a great system that offered so many different experiences - something that is just astounding when you consider the technical specifications of the console (33 mhz CPU and 2MB of RAM - I think?)

Yes its library of 2000+ titles ment there were a lot of bad games. But there were many great reasons to justify the ownership of a PlayStation. Whilst it is true that a lot of PlayStation games have aged pretty badly, there are quite a few titles that still hold up really well. Personally I think games like MGS, FF VII, Ridge Racer Type 4, Einhander still look pretty good and they look even better on when played on a smaller screen (PSP). A lot of JRPGS and Japanese games generally tend to hold up well too imo. The PlayStation was my first home console and my first real step into the world of computer games so I guess it will always be a special machine to me.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Damn I can't believe I left Silent Hi and Colony Wars Vengance out..

Because PS1 made games cool and mainstream, everybody owned them even people who normally wouldn't.. I know most people here don't class it as Retro, and PS1 games can still be bought in must game shops..

Chiptune thread he meant 16 bit machine.. Most people class the PS1 as a currentgenre machine, and the reason Arcade died with it's arcade better versions of Tekken and RidgeRacer.. I still say a generation of kids still Own/play Ps1 kind of like the Atari 2600 still having games released in 1990
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:40 pm

The beginnings of 3D games and the pursuit of realism are always going to look bad in years time. Visually, the N64 and Saturn can receive the same criticism.

The Playstation is certainly not overrated in my opinion. Games like Spyro, Crash, Driver etc. are still just as playable and fun now as they were back then.

I also happen to think that Spyro (to name one example) still has pretty decent graphics considering it's age. It's one of my favourite games of all time so I might be biased though :mrgreen:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:41 pm

StealthAssassin wrote:I don't think the PlayStation is overrated - come on it made gaming "cool"
Not for the first time. We'd already gone through this in the 70s to early 80s, possibly more so. Playstation brought gaming back to the masses, or at least those in their 20s, but back in the 70s whole families would play games, gathering round a Pong console, VCS or visiting an arcade. I don't think we've ever reached that level again, though Wii was there for a few months but was very restrictive with it (only really seeing Wii Sports get any play). We'll get there again soon, as we're not getting any younger and we've grown up with them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.