Bittersweet Endings *SPOLIER ALERT*

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Re: Bittersweet Endings *SPOLIER ALERT*

Post by Shinobi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:11 am

Mayhem wrote:
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Are you refering to Emilys death?
Well, there's goes the spoiler then :roll: :P
Is there different endings then as I thought Emily only died if you Shot Kayson instead off her and that tree grew out of her chest.. Then Kayson says something along the lines "I can't die as the red seeds made me immortal" and traps you and Emily in Zach subconscious

The ending I got without giving too much away and going into Details is - only 'Emily's psychical body dies and York resurrects her

Bittersweet endings to me where
Project Zero 1 normal ending, I know Ghost Girl who helps gets a happy ending on Hard...
The Suffering what a evil evil game.. I remember my friend was watching me play and he was a bit shocked at it "I envy you Torque' I never got to kill a woman before"!!

Shadows ending I thought was pretty happy, Spoiler Alert

Those Masked Men manage to seal the Demon that pocesses your character back into the light, but destroy the bridge in the process... Argo doesn't die after falling into the Ravine, and limps in as the Tomb, as the Girl is brought back to life, she finds your character in the pool reborn as a baby
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

BF Bullpup

Post by BF Bullpup » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:38 am

Final Fantasy II. The GBA re-release had a post-story side quest to try to make the ending a little bit happier. I'm not sure if other re-releases did the same thing as I haven't played them. That was back when Square made every odd FF games more play-based and the even FF games more story-based. That ended with FF VII, which became more story-driven to take advantage of the new CD technology and such.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:21 pm

BF Bullpup wrote:Final Fantasy II. The GBA re-release had a post-story side quest to try to make the ending a little bit happier. I'm not sure if other re-releases did the same thing as I haven't played them. That was back when Square made every odd FF games more play-based and the even FF games more story-based. That ended with FF VII, which became more story-driven to take advantage of the new CD technology and such.
Yeah I remember that one. The post-story quest was really tough as well if I remember rightly and you had to defeat a different version of the Emperor of Palmecia at the end.

The other re-releases have bonuses too but most are included in the main game such as extra dungeons, areas etc. From what I've played, FFII Advance is the only one with an extra chapter bolted onto the end of where the original game would have ended.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

llj

Post by llj » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Link's Awakening comes to mind. Link basically destroyed a whole world and his love interest, just to go home.

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Shinobi wrote:

Those Masked Men manage to seal the Demon that pocesses your character back into the light, but destroy the bridge in the process... Argo doesn't die after falling into the Ravine, and limps in as the Tomb, as the Girl is brought back to life, she finds your character in the pool reborn as a baby
Granted, but don't forget that the bridge was destroyed (the only way in or out of that mahooosive area), and now she's stuck there with a horse and an infantile version of her husband. She'll be touching death before he even hits puberty! Just odd really, Ico was miles better IMO
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Coxy wrote:
Shinobi wrote:

Granted, but don't forget that the bridge was destroyed (the only way in or out of that mahooosive area), and now she's stuck there with a horse and an infantile version of her husband. She'll be touching death before he even hits puberty! Just odd really, Ico was miles better IMO
Correct me if I'm wrong but the link between Wander and the Girl was never actually confirmed either way ie; we don't know for sure who she was to him (and him to her) ?

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:38 pm

CIH wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but the link between Wander and the Girl was never actually confirmed either way ie; we don't know for sure who she was to him (and him to her) ?
Point well made
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:11 am

llj wrote:Link's Awakening comes to mind. Link basically destroyed a whole world and his love interest, just to go home.
Spot on, really quite a melancoly ending.

Lost Odyssey has a really bittersweet ending; I almost cried watching the ending and it was my wife playing! :oops:
Chazz it up!!!