Bittersweet Endings *SPOLIER ALERT*

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coxy

Bittersweet Endings *SPOLIER ALERT*

Post by Coxy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Just been thinking that maybe a lot of the games that I have really enjoyed but never went back to actually have some rather bitter-sweet endings, and perhaps that's why I can never seem to go back to them.
Anybody have any good examples, two that spring to mind are Conkers Bad Fur Day and Shadow of the Colossus straight away. Also Doom 64 as the protagonist opts to stay in hell at the end. We spend all that time fighting beasties from hell of our own free will... and then get forced to spend the rest of our life in hell, what gives!?
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!

Lord Innit

Re: Bittersweet Endings *SPOLIER ALERT*

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Getting killed at the end of Resistance 2.Can't remember the details but someone from your side kills you right at the end.I think he's the main character in Resistance 3.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Prince of Persia (2008) is a good example I think, but I'm not going to give the game away by saying what happens. It's not as if it's a hard game to complete, anyway! I'm amongst the possibly rather few people who liked the cheeky prince - I listened to all the conversations, which of course were voluntary, and I liked the twist in the tale - and his character - at the end. I would like to add Nier to the list but I've not seen the final ending - I enjoyed the game but I drew the line at collecting every available weapon in the game. The endings that I have seen are quite poignant albeit in an ambiguous kind of way. Apparently the final and definitive ending clarifies things somewhat.

I would like to add Red Dead Redemption, although I'm not quite sure bittersweet describes it exactly. But it's a good example of the power a game can hold over you when you've spent 20 hours in the boots of a character, even if you don't actually affect their development. RDR lacks RPG elements, of course, but it doesn't really miss them - I still felt involved in Marston's story. It's certainly something that has been developed since the humble shooters and platformers I spent my time on as a youngster, that sense of involvement.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Final Fantasy X had a very bittersweet ending, though it was a slog to get there.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories also springs to mind, and also Alan Wake....spending the whole game fighting off The Taken to get to see his wife again, only to have to sacrifice himself in order for her to be freed.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:38 pm

The original Super Mario Bros when you beat it one time through.... also Ghosts n Goblins on the NES... both games required multiple play throughs which to me was bittersweet. Of course the time to go through both twice isn't even close to a game nowadays...

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:16 am

Deadly Premonition ended on a sad note. Zack killed the bad guy, but he lost York. He's all alone now. :(
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:54 am

Super Mario Galaxy - those poor Lumas... :cry:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:05 am

Lord Innit wrote:Getting killed at the end of Resistance 2.Can't remember the details but someone from your side kills you right at the end.I think he's the main character in Resistance 3.
Your character in R2, Hale, had to keep getting booster shots to stop the Chimera virus in his system 'turning him' into 1 of them, basically the virus won at end of R2 and Hale 'turned' so he was shot in the head.

Cannot remember if it's 1st or 2nd Fallout on PC, but do recal getting water plant repaired, but then killed by valut elder, as he feared having ventured out in the outside world, i was now a danger to the vault.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:51 am

Castlevania lords of shadow, game gets fast forwarded to modern times. Seems you have become a vampire (im not sure if any of the dlc added on to this)
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 am

Shadow of the Colossus and... see below... my other choice.
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Deadly Premonition ended on a sad note. Zack killed the bad guy, but he lost York. He's all alone now. :(
I don't think that's quite the whole story either, but saying anything would spoil it for people who haven't played it...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:53 am

Shenmue 2. Im not sure if it was bittersweet exactly but poor Ryo is still stuck in that cave :lol:

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 pm

SoupDragon wrote:Shenmue 2. Im not sure if it was bittersweet exactly but poor Ryo is still stuck in that cave :lol:
:lol: getting sweaty.

I'd say the Phoenix Wright games, the epitome of bittersweet endings. Someone has ALWAYS just died horribly.
XBox 360 Gamertag: jcdentont1000
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: TBC (Now, where did I leave my 3DS..)

"Trust no one. Question everything."

parappa

Post by parappa » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Tomb raider 2 when she wouldnt let you in the shower

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Deadly Premonition ended on a sad note. Zack killed the bad guy, but he lost York. He's all alone now. :(
I don't think that's quite the whole story either, but saying anything would spoil it for people who haven't played it...
I thought the ending was pretty upbeat all things considered.

Worrying about spoilers after the phrase "Zack killed the bad guy, but he lost York" has been posted seems a bit of a horse/stable door situation to me.

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:48 pm

parappa wrote:Tomb raider 2 when she wouldnt let you in the shower
Never played it to the end but still, that bloody censored tease!
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!