Do you ever think 'What the hell do I play?'

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Do you ever think 'What the hell do I play?'

Post by nakamura » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Ok a lot of us have fair sized to often huge collections nowadays. Often numbering over 100 titles across various formats.
While looking at sscott's pictures in the retro picture thread I thought to myself, how does he choose what to play?
I then took a look over my should and realised I have a similar problem.

Question is then, how do you go about choosing a game to play next? Are you a bit part player or do you pick a game and just stick with it? Do you play on impulse or are you more methodical and purposely choose?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Re: Do you ever think 'What the hell do I play?'

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Unless I have a new release to play, I tend to try and attack the massive backlog of PS2 games that I've built up in recent years. Even then though, I look at them all and just cannot decide which one to make a start on. I either want to start none of them or more than one at once depending on my mood.

Generally though, I try to only have 1 or 2 games on the go at once instead of spreading myself to thin. Done that before and ended up fogetting about half of the in-progress games and never seeing them to the end.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:55 pm

I have no idea half the time, I'll usually start by picking a system, let's say the SNES and will play anything that takes my fancy from that - usually a game I know well (let's say f-zero and one I don't), all my systems are plugged in and ready to go but if I don't just sit down and play something straight away I'll end up playing nothing!

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:55 pm

These days I will start a game and then stop playing it to play something else and so on and so on. I will then eventually go back to an already started game a month or year later(in Twilight Princess's case about 4 years later) and not have a clue what to do next in the game,so i'll sometimes have to start again.

In the old days i'd be relying on parents for games at christmas and whatnot,so I would usually only have one or two games to play over a prolonged period of time. Nowadays i'm a grown up with my own disposable income(not so much since refusing to withdraw from the wife twice) to spend on whatever I want. So i'm forever buying games because its a bargain or I desperately want it,and they just end up sitting there looking at me and I just know that they think i'm a censored.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:03 pm

rapidly-greying wrote:(not so much since refusing to withdraw from the wife twice)
:shock: um,i'm not having a go but just use contraception. :lol:

i tend to suffer from bouts of gaming apathy where i want to play something but looking through them i just can't be bothered to start a game,then i'll finally start one get drawn in then i'm set for weeks going through multiple games.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Depends if I can be arsed to unpack and set up a new system, I tend to play through a few games on one system before I can be bothered. I try to swap 'genres' of games so I don't get fatigued, I've just clocked Goldeneye so I've jumped from a FPS to a nice 3D puzzle-platformer with Rocket: Robot on Wheels. I suppose it depends if I get an urge for a particular game, I do tend to clock games (if they can be clocked) one at a time before starting a new one.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

shiffy

Post by shiffy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:23 pm

I think this quite a lot. I've got a fairly large retro collection (Snes / MD / MS / 32X / Nes) which I don't really feel too guilty about if I neglect it. Most of the titles from these systems I played & completed back in the day. So I'm quite happy to "dip in & out" of what I have on these systems. F-Zero is always a fave of mine to put on, as is Gynoug, Hellfire, Alex Kidd In Shinobi World.

But I also have a habit of buying current gen stuff (usually when it's cheap) & then adding it to my "to be played" pile. That pile has grown so big I really have no idea where to start. And most of these games need to have a lot of time invested into them before you really start to get the most from them. I usually look at them, think "what shall I start now?". In the end I decide I haven't got enough time, & just pick up something that I get straight into without watching endless cut scenes, tutorials.

I'm going make a bit of an assumption here & suggest that those of us who post in this thread are in our late 20's to late 30's (i'm in the middle). As such, we no longer have the time to invest in playing games. Other commitments take priority (wives, kids, work, etc). But the "kid" in all of us still thinks we can play games for hours on end like we did in our youth. And we still buy games assuming this. (Does this make sense? I know what I'm trying to say but find the right way to explain it. Think of it as a ratio --- "Game collection : Hours of gameplay per game : Available gaming hours" Most of us will a game collection large enough that we just haven't got the time to play them all.

So, the "what the hell do I play?" is a question I ask myself a lot. At the same time I think to myself "do I really need this huge collection of games?".

A friend who buys a lot of DVDs / Blu-rays recently likened his film collection to a "dust magnet". They only get watched once (maybe twice) & sit on the shelf forever more. He's now clearing a lot of them out. I'm starting to wonder if I should clear out a huge chunk of my games collection (both retro & current). Maybe with less titles to choose from it would be easier to select a title & stick with it to completion.

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:39 pm

I definitely run into those moments as a natural consequence of my website. Some evenings I'm literally like "screw it" and have to walk away, content to escape the choice until some weird insight hits me and points me in the right direction.
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:30 pm

frequently...and often i don't decide, so i'll go watch a film, documentary or read a book instead.

When i do find a game i tend to give it my undivided attention, otherwise i'll forget all the controls :oops:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:32 pm

i tend to have a to play stack
a stack thats not getting any smaller
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:39 pm

nokgod wrote:frequently...and often i don't decide, so i'll go watch a film, documentary or read a book instead.

When i do find a game i tend to give it my undivided attention, otherwise i'll forget all the controls :oops:
I have that problem too! :lol:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:43 pm

With the random light.
Random light, shine so bright, show me the thing im playing on tonight, (and dont make it censored)

James A

Post by James A » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:43 pm

snowkatt wrote:i tend to have a to play stack
a stack thats not getting any smaller
Same as above but then i have a to play in the future shelf which isn't getting any smaller

Before i got called into work tonight i was looking at my collection and thinking i need a good cull on about 25% of the stuff ive got. Im starting with the 360 stuff first as ive got about 10 games that have been sat on the shelf for about a year. That though will be used to fund the remaning games i was getting this year that i know i will play. After that im toying with getting rid of my Neo Geo Pocket stuff and possibly my original Gameboy stuff. Another thing that might go is my Japanese Saturn, only used it twice since getting it :oops:

After Xmas though im stopping buying gmaes for about three months and getting through some more games and getting other finished off.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:09 pm

This is the whole reason I massively downsized my collection as it got to the point where I had so many games I wouldn't play any.

Now I only have 3 consoles and like making small collections ie. PS2/360 fighters and PC Engine shmups.

Masakisu

Post by Masakisu » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Generally I just play whatever I feel like - that is, when I feel like playing games. Despite spending a lot of money on games and time on forums related to them, or even reading about them, I don't actually play them very often. Much more often I'll watch anime or read something.