Your Top 5 Games Of All Time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Your Top 5 Games Of All Time

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:29 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:You're all wrong. The PSP remake is great and probably my favourite of the classic style Castlevanias :D

In terms of the best Castlevania game though, its either SotN or Order of Ecclesia. Too hard to choose.
You could always choose a favourite Castlevania-style Castlevania and a favourite Metroid-style Castlevania?

In which case the best two Castlevanias are Bloodlines/The New Generation and Dawn Of Sorrow.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:26 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Don't all the Casltevania (classic pre SOTN) have the same jumping style (no turning around in mid air etc.) I never really saw that as much of a problem, bar those bastard Medusa heads and the fish men at times. Dracula X gave Richter a back flip move which I found a god send for combat and was incredibly handy when fighting certain enemies. I prefer the PC Engine version to the PSP remake though. Its the graphics that get me though, I just don't like the redone character models and background, I find it hard to make out certain enemies, projectiles, obstacles.
I can't remember all for sure but Super Castlevania has a much more flexible jumping system unlike the retarded version in Rondo. It just feels like it is there to make the game artificially harder.

No game that plays so badly can be considered amazing in my book. A great game should still be playable many year later.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:01 pm

nakamura wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Don't all the Casltevania (classic pre SOTN) have the same jumping style (no turning around in mid air etc.) I never really saw that as much of a problem, bar those bastard Medusa heads and the fish men at times. Dracula X gave Richter a back flip move which I found a god send for combat and was incredibly handy when fighting certain enemies. I prefer the PC Engine version to the PSP remake though. Its the graphics that get me though, I just don't like the redone character models and background, I find it hard to make out certain enemies, projectiles, obstacles.
I can't remember all for sure but Super Castlevania has a much more flexible jumping system unlike the retarded version in Rondo. It just feels like it is there to make the game artificially harder.

No game that plays so badly can be considered amazing in my book. A great game should still be playable many year later.

Castlevania to me = Belmonts .

When the feminine anime style protagonists came in, I lost complete interest. Only to return to Lord of Shadow

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:04 pm

I got Rondo of Blood on wii virtual console ages ago and thought it was b0llocks to me honest. really crap jumping, and no whip control = FAIL!

One of the most overhyped retro games.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:13 pm

ChipTune wrote:I got Rondo of Blood on wii virtual console ages ago and thought it was b0llocks to me honest. really crap jumping, and no whip control = FAIL!

One of the most overhyped retro games.
I bought Castlevania for the GBA on the NES Classics range and couldn't believe it was the first entry in this legendary series - gash to be honest.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:43 am

samhain81 wrote: Castlevania to me = Belmonts .
When the feminine anime style protagonists came in, I lost complete interest. Only to return to Lord of Shadow
Seems a bit of a cutting of your nose to spite your face moment if you ask me. Still each to their own. I think Super Castlevania IV is by far the best non Metroid style game in the series by miles though.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:55 am

I do agree that the whip control of Super CV4 is sorely missed in Dracula X (both Snes and PC Engine) but the jumping has never bothered me so I still really enjoy it!
I'm in the minority that thinks SOTN is somewhat overhyped - its a cracking game but so easy it kills my enjoyment of the game somewhat (bar one boss which is fairly damaging). It just seems like you can become too powerful to fast that the majority of enemies pose little to no threat to you. I know you can just equip worse weapons/armour (and I do) but its still the one thing that kinda harms the game for me slightly. That's why Order of Eclessia is my favourite of the Metroidvania games - lots to explore and do plus a nice difficulty curve to boot!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:05 am

SotN is a tad easy, certainly for more veteran gamers. Order of Ecclesia is my next playthrough in the series. I have done around an hour of it so far and it is rather difficult.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:12 am

nakamura wrote:
samhain81 wrote: Castlevania to me = Belmonts .
Seems a bit of a cutting of your nose to spite your face moment if you ask me. Still each to their own. I think Super Castlevania IV is by far the best non Metroid style game in the series by miles though.
Spite my face? how? I just didn't like when they went all anime-inspired., and I've never agreed with the backtracking, exploration aspect of the latter Castlevanias.

To each their own is right, I prefer the masculine archetype protagonists, you know, ones that look like men, and the linear A - B gameplay. Nothing wrong with that

You prefer the feminine protagonists that are half way through the sex change process, with the non linear exploration style gameplay.

Nothing wrong with that either.

tux

Post by tux » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:27 am

Mario Kart(snes)
North and South(Amiga)
Gears of war 1(xbox 360)
Mortal Kombat 9...i think?! doesnt say a number on it!(xbox 360)
Ridge Racer(ps1)

list subject to change daily though!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:50 am

This is actually really difficult and my list will no doubt change every pasing hour, but for now my top 5 would be...

Jack The Nipper (Spectrum)
Golden Axe/Road Rash (Mega Drive) - Joint 2nd
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
Discworld II (PS1)
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (PS2)

This would be soooooooooooooo much easier if it were top 5 games per system/console... :cry: :?
Press Play On Tape

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:05 pm

Super Mario Kart (Snes)
Final Fantasy VI (Snes)
Final Fantasy VII (Playstation)
Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

I can't decide on a fifth!

Lets say Super Bomberman (Snes)

Though it would probably change tomorrow.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Super Probotector (SNES)
Freespace 2 (PC)
Gran Turismo "1" (Playstation)
Halo (XBox)

They're the only games I can think of that I'm totally sure about. I could add Thief 2, System Shock 2, C&C Tiberium Sun, Deus Ex, Quake 2, Imperium Galactica 2, Homeworld, numerous SNES, Playstation, Playstation 2, PC and the odd Xbox game lol.

Generally if I can recall the music without any effort then it's usually up there.

tweedehandsgames

Post by tweedehandsgames » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Starfox 64 (N64)
Super Smash Bros Melee. (Gamecube)
Age of Empires 2 (PC)
Pokemon Silver (Gameboy)
Banjo Tooie (N64)

Honourable mentions to Halo 2 and Super Mario 64 (And another umpteen games I've missed out!)

Too hard to choose a winner out of those...
http://www.tweedehandsgames.co.uk - my little piece of the internet
https://twitter.com/alextweedehands - just a few ramblings :)

"Only a mind free of impediments is capable of grasping the chaotic beauty of the world."

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:57 am

Mine changes now and then but currently:

Spelunky (XBLA)
Castlevania SOTN (PSX / XBLA)
Outrun Online Arcade / Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast (XBLA / Xbox)
Super Mario Bros (NES)
Doom 2 (PC)