Best of... less popular games Xbox 360

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Riddler

Re: Best of... less popular games Xbox 360

Post by Riddler » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:22 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Bought 3 games that have been tipped in this thread:

wet
darksiders
alpha protocol

Started with wet and its v good so far

I got Alpha Protocol too. Seemed quite daunting at first but i'm past the first mission now and it's really grown on me.

I'm taking the stealthly approach which is real fun. This game reminds me of Mass Effect with the dialog choices and RPG theme, but somehow it stands on it's own two feet.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:38 am

I'd instantly recommend Just Cause for a fiver. CeX's your shop for that. Seen it for £4 in fact. Pick up Prey for £2 and Crackdown for a fiver too, while you're at it.

Definitely get Just Cause 2 as well, since it'll be about a tenner. Play it after the first one though. It's sufficiently different to warrant the sequel and your time.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:23 am

@snowkatt
2d open world? Try Wasteland for starters. But it wasn`t the point anyway.

Alpha Protocol is about to get its last chance tonight from me. I find stealth approach impossible to execute due to poor design and few bugs...also chose the hardest difficulty which now i see was a mistake. Will try and switch to going all-out guns blazing maybe it`ll be bit more fun, otherwise it`s back to Amazon.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:21 pm

I'd go with (based on general review scores and their current cheap prices):

FEAR - It was popular on the PC but came to the 360 a bit late, and so didn't sell too well from what I recall. Great game though; very atmospheric and has the best enemy AI since Half Life

Perfect Dark Zero - Perhaps not the most complex of FPSs, and it didn't go down too well with people (most probably because of nostaligc attidues towards the N64 game). But, it is very tidy and has some great sequences

The Darkness - Mentioned enough times here, but worth mentioning again. Controls are a bit clunky sometimes, but it's a solid game overall. It also had perhaps the best depiction of Hell I have ever seen in any art form (Dante and Milton, eat your hearts out)

Mirror's Edge - The most underrated game of the current generation. Original, sleak and challenging.

Prince of Persia - Another game that suffers from the legacy of it's brilliant predecessors. Repetitive at times, and the protagonist is an annoying moron, but it's a good game and has some challenging bits.

King Kong - Pretty easy and short, but is well-produced and very cinematic. As movie tie-ins go, this is up there with the best.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Rayne wrote:
Smurph wrote:
Rayne wrote: Wartech is horrible though, a complete broken mess of a game
The characters could have done with a little bit more balancing, true, but broken? No way. If you didn't like it, fair enough, but it's in no way broken.
Maybe if it'd stop for a minute and decide what f***ing genre it wants to be I would give it the time of day :lol:
Nice to see Wartech generate a bit of debate. I have to agree with Smurph, complete broken mess is not an accurate description. The controls are ok. A bit clunky, perhaps, but they work. I had no such problem worrying about what genre the game is trying to be and accepted what I was presented with. It's a fair attempt to create something a bit different. Applause for the dev trying to work outside the box!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:55 pm

James A wrote:
Mire Mare wrote:Not sure if these have been mentioned already;

Flatout Ultimate Carnage is a superb racer that is often overlooked due to more recognisable racing games Burnout, Forza etc.

Wartech - a fun Japanese fighting game and usually cheap as chips.

Another game I enjoyed a lot more than the reviews suggested is Alone in the dark. The faults are there for all to see but it was quite a fun romp.

Project Sylpheed, already mentioned in this thread, is also only £2.00 on CEX. Bargainous!
Alone In The Dark probably has the worst control system ever implemented in a game, to the point it almost makes it unplayable.
Unplayable it isn't :roll: Awkward, in some instances it surely is. Frustratingly so in fact. But, it is playable. Enough for me to complete the story and quite enjoy it. At the prices this can now be picked up at..... well.... it's a no brainer.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Mire Mare wrote:
James A wrote:
Mire Mare wrote:Not sure if these have been mentioned already;

Flatout Ultimate Carnage is a superb racer that is often overlooked due to more recognisable racing games Burnout, Forza etc.

Wartech - a fun Japanese fighting game and usually cheap as chips.

Another game I enjoyed a lot more than the reviews suggested is Alone in the dark. The faults are there for all to see but it was quite a fun romp.

Project Sylpheed, already mentioned in this thread, is also only £2.00 on CEX. Bargainous!
Alone In The Dark probably has the worst control system ever implemented in a game, to the point it almost makes it unplayable.
Unplayable it isn't :roll: Awkward, in some instances it surely is. Frustratingly so in fact. But, it is playable. Enough for me to complete the story and quite enjoy it. At the prices this can now be picked up at..... well.... it's a no brainer.
It's a no brainer alright - leave it on the shelf and buy something worth having

I got it on launch, ugh

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:44 pm

rebelstar wrote:@snowkatt
2d open world? Try Wasteland for starters. But it wasn`t the point anyway.

Alpha Protocol is about to get its last chance tonight from me. I find stealth approach impossible to execute due to poor design and few bugs...also chose the hardest difficulty which now i see was a mistake. Will try and switch to going all-out guns blazing maybe it`ll be bit more fun, otherwise it`s back to Amazon.
id love to try wasteland but unless ea decide to rerelease it ( fat change ) il have to look for a original copy
and it came on floppies i believe
5 inch floppies
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:48 pm

What about Deadly premonition not partially cheap but one of the 360's best games
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Rayne wrote: It's a no brainer alright - leave it on the shelf and buy something worth having

I got it on launch, ugh
Ahh... bought at launch. Now I understand the resentment. :wink:

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:49 pm

I just picked up Bayonetta for a fiver...Dante's Inferno for 6 quid, and Dead Space 2 for a tenner.....all in CEX

All look pretty damn good from what I've played of them so far..... :D
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:14 am

deadpan666 wrote:I just picked up Bayonetta for a fiver...Dante's Inferno for 6 quid, and Dead Space 2 for a tenner.....all in CEX

All look pretty damn good from what I've played of them so far..... :D
Good shopping mate . . . CEX for me tomorrow it is!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:18 am

Bionic Commando
Seen it about for a fiver
Any good?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:36 am

DPrinny wrote:Bionic Commando
Any good?
I enjoyed it. It has its frustrating points (linearish levels so you are somewhat restricted to where you swing), a pretty steep difficulty curve etc. but I enjoyed it for what it was. I enjoyed the variety of moves you got with your bionic arm - throwing enemies around like rag dolls, throwing them then shooting them in mid air, throwing their own projectiles right back at them and such.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:21 am

ShadowMan wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Bionic Commando
Any good?
I enjoyed it. It has its frustrating points (linearish levels so you are somewhat restricted to where you swing), a pretty steep difficulty curve etc. but I enjoyed it for what it was. I enjoyed the variety of moves you got with your bionic arm - throwing enemies around like rag dolls, throwing them then shooting them in mid air, throwing their own projectiles right back at them and such.
Like you say the only problem I really had with Bionic Commando is not being able to swing anywhere, if it was a more open world it would have been ace, still a lot of fun though.
Splink!