Best of... less popular games Xbox 360

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mire Mare

Re: Best of... less popular games Xbox 360

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:14 pm

skylarking wrote:Bullet Witch isn't too bad, can be picked up for next to nothing, and it's a 360 exclusive.
Agreed. There was something fun about Bullet Witch.

I'd add Viking: Battle for Asgard to the list - if it's not already mentioned. Similar to Conan, mentioned by Ant, in a lot of respects. It looks good, plays well and is a relaxed & fun hack n slash romp.

Mirror's Edge is definitely one of the best less popular games I've played. So unpopular that it's unlikely Faith will return. Shame.

Star Trek: Legacy certainly less popular, perhaps because it's so niche, but it's a great space combat sim.

Svenski

Post by Svenski » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:11 pm

The Saboteur, excellent game , and can be picked up cheap now.
Atari User Magazine http://www.atariuser.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atari 2600,5200,7800,1200XL,800XL,130XE,Jaguar, 520STfm, 1040 STE

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:55 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:No, seriously, get DP. If you don't have a 360, watch the Let's Play of it by SuperGreatFriend. Brilliant. (Unfortunately, you'll probably need an SA account to view it for now, not archived yet :().
Blimey, those playthroughs are great. Nice quality video, too! :D

(Just makes me want to go through it again).

PS: I'm not a member of that forum, but had no probs checking stuff out. Pretty chuffed by the insane amount of fan homages on there, this is one cult iceberg of a game. ;)

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:15 am

I bang on about this game a lot but Darksiders always goes under a lot of peoples radar.

Its an action adventure, hack and slash with nods to Zelda and is under a tenner now.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:47 am

Tenchu Z - It might not be a classic like the PS1 originals but it's solid stealth action fun, I certainly enjoyed it.

Project Silpheed - An absolutely amazing space flight game, it takes a few hours to get used to the 0G movements but once you do, damn it's awesome. Cheesy anime inspired story and astounding visuals help it feel really good fun.

Bullet Witch is also a really awesome 3rd person action/shooter. The spell effects are really cool, it's a budget title at it's core but if you buy it at a budget price, you'll enjoy it :)

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:58 am

Another enjoyable game that wasn't particularly successful - if you like Quentin Tarantino and "grindhouse" movies you'll probably love it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_(video_game)
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:11 am

skylarking wrote:Another enjoyable game that wasn't particularly successful - if you like Quentin Tarantino and "grindhouse" movies you'll probably love it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_(video_game)
Without doubt one of my top 5 games of this gen, words cannot express how much I enjoyed it :D

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:13 am

I've seen Wet a couple times for a fiver but never took a chance. Maybe I will.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:16 am

Rayne wrote:Tenchu Z - It might not be a classic like the PS1 originals but it's solid stealth action fun, I certainly enjoyed it.
This
Apart from that bloody "Follow this guy with out beeing seen" mission

Also Katamari

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:36 am

+1 for Wet - thoroughly enjoyable once you get the gist of it - doing the acrobatics to increase your score multiplier is key to making quick progress, because this increases your health regeneration. The game tells you this early on but it wasn't really until later on that I really started to do it - it becomes essential later on.

Of more recent games, Hunted: The Demon's Forge is reasonably good fun, with some decent banter between the two characters. The last chapter was a bit long-winded though. The First Templar is simple fare which you could have perhaps done well as a budget title of some kind - as a full-price title it was never going to win much favour. It's repetitive and mostly very easy but satisfying enough if you can get it for under a tenner.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:59 am

Here's my list...

Kameo - Elements Of Power - Love this game, and it proves that Rare can still make awesome games, it's just they've gotten carried away with making silly avatars and Kinect games... :(

Prey - Highly recommend this to anybody who likes FPS games! Well worth a fiver!

The Darkness - Still one of my favourite games on 360, and the sequel is looking pretty funky and is out soon, so now is the time to catch up!

Eat Lead - The Return Of Matt Hazard - Now this game is a bit crappily put together, and as a full price title it really wasn't worth it. But it is filled with lots of references to retro games and games culture in general, and for a fiver is a pretty decent budget game!

Viking - Can get repetitive, but is still a great game that definitely deserved to do better than it did....

Rise Of The Argonauts - Another overlooked game..it's an RPG in the Mass Effect/Jade Empire mould, and is pretty good fun...especially if you like your myths and legends!

Oh, and Wet and Darksiders are well worth a punt too! And I'll also use here to say again how awesome Castlevania - Lords of Shadow is too! :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:43 am

Stranglehold. I snagged a copy of the steelbook special edition for less than the regular edition (£4, IIRC)

And another shout for Bullet Witch here, too.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:19 am

JazzFunk wrote: PS: I'm not a member of that forum, but had no probs checking stuff out. Pretty chuffed by the insane amount of fan homages on there, this is one cult iceberg of a game. ;)
Ah, they must be open for now then.
Actually, for anyone interested, there's the Let's Play Archive, full to the brim with high quality walkthrough/Let's Plays.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:23 pm

After seeing some of the recommendations on this thread I have ordered Battle Fantasia, Bullet Witch & The Darkness via Amazon. They'd better be good! :twisted: :lol:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Nemesis wrote:After seeing some of the recommendations on this thread I have ordered Battle Fantasia, Bullet Witch & The Darkness via Amazon. They'd better be good! :twisted: :lol:
With The Darkness just get used to your tentacles being your Health Bar, in that any damage you take will come off them first. Plus they automatically recharge when you're standing in any shadows. Trying to play it as a straight shooter without your Darkness powers will get you killed pretty quickly really.

Oh, and a little mini spoiler: The later levels get really really good indeed... :lol: :wink:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.