Best of... less popular games Xbox 360

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

deadpan666

Re: Best of... less popular games Xbox 360

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:51 am

Going through my games, I've got another few to recommend....

Blacksite - Got this recently and it's a fairly decent FPS...feels a bit last-gen, but for the money it's good. It's basically a sequel to Area 51...

Ninja Blade - Only paid 79p for this! :D It's a bit like Ninja Gaiden 2, and has some pretty cool bosses...it does have a lot of Quick Time Event gameplay though, and some of the platformy bits can be frustrating,so it's not for everyone..but it's at least worth a fiver!

Lost Planet - Another pretty decent game...you stomp around a snowy landscape in mech-suits killing big bug-type aliens and snow pirates! That is pretty much it, but I think it's alright!

Stranglehold - The game sequel to the film Hard Boiled! :D It's a pretty funky third-person shooter, and sliding about tables and running up bannisters popping caps in the baddies is a right laugh!
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:38 am

Stranglehold has had a couple of mentions here. I'll point out that the first level is one of the worst, with you sliding about over tables and stuff accidentally. Its a very badly designed first level for the game. Once you get past that things become a lot more enjoyable, so persevere with it. I initially judged it on the opening scenes and thought it was terrible but gave it a second chance and had a high old time.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:45 pm

By the way: John Woo himself is a secret unlockable character on Stranglehold! 8)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Lost Planet is a fantastic shooter, really top notch. Beware of the sequel thou. Vanquish - another 3rd person shooting classic.

Last Odyssey & Blue Dragon - top drawer jRpgs. Also: Eternal Sonata & Resonance of Fate.

Mercenaries 2 - for me nearly as cool as the original, got terrible reviews for some reason thou.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Mariposa_Cibernetico wrote:I did quite like Bullet Witch (even though it was often far too hard), but i stopped playing when i got to a stage that, iif I remember rightly, was a canyon type place with a bridge going across the top? Anyway, any attempts to complete this level were met with misfortune - either I'd fall off near the top and have to climb back up again, or a glitch would happen, meaning i couldn't progress any furher because some trigger hadn't gone off or, of course, I'd just plain old die from being rubbish at the game.
Do you know the level number?

I don't recall that..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:46 am

Noticed today that Prey is just £2.00 in CEX...
They seem to have reduced a few of their prices, Dead Space only £6.00 now was one that caught my eye.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:59 am

rebelstar wrote:Lost Planet is a fantastic shooter, really top notch. Beware of the sequel thou. Vanquish - another 3rd person shooting classic.

Last Odyssey & Blue Dragon - top drawer jRpgs. Also: Eternal Sonata & Resonance of Fate.

Mercenaries 2 - for me nearly as cool as the original, got terrible reviews for some reason thou.
Yes, Mercenaries 2 is great fun . . . Got that in a game at a work xmas do . . I was quite chuffed!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:04 am

rebelstar wrote:Lost Planet is a fantastic shooter, really top notch. Beware of the sequel thou. Vanquish - another 3rd person shooting classic.

because it was buggy as hell on all platforms
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:18 am

snowkatt wrote:

because it was buggy as hell on all platforms
But still great fun . . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:26 am

the fun gets sucked out off it if it freezes or crashes every few minutes
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:33 pm

snowkatt wrote:the fun gets sucked out off it if it freezes or crashes every few minutes
Never really had any problem with Mercenaries 2, personally...didn't know it was meant to be buggy.. :?
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

rebelstar

Post by rebelstar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:50 pm

snowkatt wrote: because it was buggy as hell on all platforms
Did you actually try it on "all the platforms"? Or are you just repeating some online comments & opinions?

I played it for a month or so on 360 without patching - not a single crash or freeze. Couple of people above seem to have had similar experience. Sure, there were some minor clipping issues, perhaps slightly skewed DoF. Nothing major for a huge open world.

I find this hysteria over alleged "bugs" in games quite amusing, it always spreads like a wildfire. Dead Island is a good example recently - ok it might have had some major issues too, but there were whole threads on forums dedicated to some brick stuck in a tree or some other minor graphical glitch - Bawww! The game is broken! Jaysis....wait for the patch before you buy or play only boring corridor shooters or 2D games.

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is probably my favourite; a really underrated, unappreciated game. Although it had a very low-key release, no advertising, no press coverage at all, I still really liked it. I mean, it's not as good as the original game Invisible War which is about a woman called Alex Jensen, (JC Jensen's sister I think, I don't know, I tend to skip all the cutscenes and never read anything in the game), who is this chick who really wants to have cool augmentations and be a spider bot. I'm really surprised nobody has played them? I think they did an original game too where it all takes place in the day time and it was only released on the Atari 2600?
XBox 360 Gamertag: jcdentont1000
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: TBC (Now, where did I leave my 3DS..)

"Trust no one. Question everything."

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm

A few cheapies that spring to mind:

Rockstar Table Tennis
The Bigs 2
The Club
Ninja Blade
Viva Pinata

If you shop around you might be lucky enough to pick these up for under £20 for the lot of them :D :D

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:29 pm

I've got Ninja Blade actually and I think it might be worth going back and having another look at it at some point as it wasn't bad. I seem to remember one or two annoying insta-death bits that put me off. Also, the levels are quite long and I don't think you can save in the middle of one, is that right? So you have to know you have the time available to play a full level before putting it on. But it was certainly well presented and had decent controls, as far as I remember, so it's one I should go back to.

I don't know if Singularity has been mentioned here - then again, I've not seen it about all that much and I don't know whether it can be picked up on the cheap as such, although I did get a copy of it on the PC for 6 or 7 quid (not that that helps 360 gamers). If you can get hold of it cheaply though, I reckon it's pretty decent. It's very slick visually and although clearly derivative of Bioshock it does at least stand out from the remainder of the shooter crowd. There has clearly been some effort to produce variety too, I remember in one section of the game having to sneak past some nasty vomiting things which can't see but are highly sensitive to sounds. Also the Time Manipulation Device thingy is good fun to use, especially when you unlock the ability to set your enemies on each other. One thing I preferred about it when compared to Bioshock was that it's got your normal checkpoint autosave system rather than the vita chambers. Mind you, I think it was crying out for a New Game+ option with gun upgrades unlocked, but there isn't one, unfortunately.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)