Does anyone collect (modern) game soundtracks?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rinoa

Re: Does anyone collect (modern) game soundtracks?

Post by Rinoa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:27 am

Just remembered after seeing the picture on the previous page that I also have the Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D soundtrack.

Very tempted to buy the Little Big Planet soundtracks at the moment. Some really good music on both games.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:48 am

Might check out the Zelda one, would be a welcome addition :)

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:29 am

I've got a few - I tend to get soundtracks that are compilations of commercial tunes used in-game, some of my faves -

Wipeout - I have all versions, all systems, plus the official Pulse CD and The Music of Wipeout that came free with Edge i think?
Jet Set Radio / Jet Set Radio Future
GTA 4
All the other GTA's I have either ripped off my game discs, or downloaded off t'internet.
REZ
Burnout Paradise
Rollcage
Rollcage 2 official CD pack

Always loved Techno and general Dance music so I tend to gravitate towrds those. Only just found out that PWEI did the music for Loaded on the PSX so gonna get that one next!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:I've got a few - I tend to get soundtracks that are compilations of commercial tunes used in-game, some of my faves -

Wipeout - I have all versions, all systems, plus the official Pulse CD and The Music of Wipeout that came free with Edge i think?
GTA 4
All the other GTA's I have either ripped off my game discs, or downloaded off t'internet.
REZ
Burnout Paradise
Rollcage

Always loved Techno and general Dance music so I tend to gravitate towrds those. Only just found out that PWEI did the music for Loaded on the PSX so gonna get that one next!
I've never been so keen except when out on the censored but I really like some of the original Wipeout stuff. The very essence of the PS1 "cool" zeitgeist.

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:32 pm

go look for "Galaxy News Radio More Where That Came From", its great stuff!
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue May 29, 2012 5:49 am

Bit of a bump here for this topic with a couple of points in case anyone's interested...

just downloaded Crysis 2 Soundtrack (which includes pieces by Hans Zimmer) for £3.49 from Itunes.
Ordered a couple of Cd's from HMV online - they seem the most competitively priced, especially compared to Fleabay

Anyone recommend any other recent OST's?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:55 am

occasionally, mainly rpg ones, and compilations from the likes of sega, nintendo

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:06 am

The only soundtrack I collected anything from gamewise was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City! 8)

Other than that I've never really bothered, though some games do of course have amazing soundtracks and scores!
Press Play On Tape

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:23 am

I download alot of these myself.

Alot of shmup soundtracks, and some random stuff like La-Mulana, Binding of Isaac, and so on. Too many to count.

I tend to greatly dislike songs with actual lyrics in them (*any* singing is, to me, the same as a cat shrieking while scratching a chalkboard with all 4 sets of claws), so game soundtracks are usually what I have running in the car.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:I've got a few - I tend to get soundtracks that are compilations of commercial tunes used in-game, some of my faves -

GTA 4
REZ
Burnout Paradise
Rollcage

I'd bet the Rez sdoundtrack is pretty damn good.
edit: oh lookee what I found :D
http://www.segamedia.com/music/in-game- ... dreamcast/
Last edited by SJ_Sathanas on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:25 pm

On my Ipod I currently have the following soundtracks:

Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy 6 (Three SNES games with amazing music especially FF6)

Golden Sun Dark Dawn (DS- Hugely underrated and with a great soundtrack)

Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 9 (PS)

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) - Well part of it.

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Actraiser (Snes)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:19 pm

How modern are we talking?

I don't collect them but got given Deathsmiles at Expo a few weeks ago (thanks to buying a few Rising star cheapy games) - not bad - its now on my mp3 player.

Otherwise I dont have a current gen console (I won't count the Wii as its my boys) so have no real experience of the soundtracks in games.

Cant even think of anything that stands out even recently - I tend to either play with sound down if the game has bad language or c'rap' music in it , simply because my boy is young and I choose not to expose him to bad language in music. Or I just dont ever think 'wow' when I do hear the music.

I have a few relatively retro tunes on my mp3 mostly Speccy , MD or C64 stuff - (Secret of Evermore , Midnight Resistance , Mercs ending tune for simple fact that i really like it and a few others I cant recall right now)

Favourite song from a soundtrack (and kind of favourite soundtrack) is Daddy Mulk by Zuntata (from Ninja Warriors on MCD).

Love this song and have done since my mom bought me a bunch of new games as a treat - whilst speccy version of Ninja warriors may not be very good the music is a great achievement , even played against a cd based soundtrack version.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Richtendo wrote:On my Ipod I currently have the following soundtracks:

Chrono Trigger
I finally bought this for my collection a couple of months ago. Always loved the Chrono Trigger soundtrack.

Also, I recently bought two sealed limited edition Final Fantasy XI OSTs. One's to open :)
I always feel really nostalgic whenever I listen to Windurst's theme and then have an urge to start playing again...

tachi

Post by tachi » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:05 am

I love nothing more than laying in bed at night and listening to a tune that brings back the thrill I got playing a particular game. I used to own loads of the soundtracks but a housefire a few years back claimed most of what I owned and so have only bought the ones I really like for now.
Only ones I have are:
Castlevania: SOTN
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Final Fantasy 7
Metal Gear Solid
Phantasy Star 4
Skyrim
Suikoden
Wild Arms
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:25 am

Suikoden has amazing music.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)