Dead Island PC - great fun, why all the negativity?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipTune

Dead Island PC - great fun, why all the negativity?

Post by ChipTune » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Got Dead Island yesterday for PC, installed a patch.. and played it for hours and hours..

I love it! I am a huge fan of Fallout 3, FPS (except COD and other zero-sense-of-humour games), and zombie movies so this seemed ideal. I read alot of negative press about it which almost made me give it a miss, but I am so glad I didn't.

Honestly if you like Fallout 3, Borderlands, Looting, RPG-lite elements, zombies etc then you owe it to yourself to get this game. It is just great fun, whether doing the missions, exploring, or running around murdering zombies with paddles, hammers, bats and other hand weapons.

The gaming press have given it reasonably high scores but it has seen many average or below scores too.. I think people expect too much from games these days, each hyped game they expect to be a work of art that will be so gripping and amazing it will change your life.. when all a game is (and should be) is some fun!

Bitching about graphic glitches here and there, leveling up issues, RPG-lite elements, bad dialogue etc.. is missing the point.. It's a piece of entertainment for bugger all money (£30 for PC version.. this wouldnt even cover the cost of a brief night out at a bar and all you get from that is a hangover, here you are getting days, possibly weeks of entertainment.

AnywayI will quickly summarise some good and bad points of the game for those who like that sort of thing (myself included haha), the bad doesnt make it any less fun, they are just minor niggles really.

THE GOOD

Great scenario
Atmosphere and visuals look great, the setting is excellently done
killing things is fun, combat is good!
Some levelling up and weapon mods etc to give it some depth
Running over zombies in a car!
FUN!

THE BAD

Characters you have to be are sh1t, cant really relate to any of them
sometimes running over zombies looks weird, they twitch and glitch through the car
yeah some graphical glitches that may concern people who find that important

Overall Id give it a 9 / 10

Best 'NEW' PC game Ive played since Fallout 3 series, I highly recommend it.

P.s - PC USERS..

I downloaded the game as I wanted to test whether it would run acceptably on my PC before buying it. It does thankfully (havent touched settings that were the defaults and it runs great) so I bought the game from amazon to have on my shelf.
That means Im running a non-steam patched version (while owning the original still sealed version). Maybe that f*ck-awful Steam thing makes life harder I don't know. May be worth checking that out before buying as I know some games (Bioshock 2 anyone??) have some very intrusive and annoying security measures, and Steam can be a pain in the nads sometimes.
Last edited by ChipTune on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedlolita

Re: Dead Island PC - great fun, why all the negativity?

Post by speedlolita » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:56 pm

You think Steam is awful?

:lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:06 pm

>Opinions
>Not getting free stuff

Korppi

Post by Korppi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Haven't tried it yet, but watched gameplay, and I'm with you. Fallout 3, this and similar apolcalyptic and zombie survival games are really fun, even when mediocre and/or FPS. I don't understand why there was so much hype for this game anyway? Would think it had more of a niche appeal. I immensely enjoy watching shitty zombie movies as well. There's just something so charming about these. I've dreamed of zombie survival simulation, this could be quite close to that.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:09 pm

speedlolita wrote:You think Steam is awful?

:lol:
x Pi

:shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

newoldgamer

Post by newoldgamer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Well, the worst review is from IGN, but you know, you can spell ignorant without IGN...
Enjoyed the characters, personally I found them to be pretty entertaining, and that song... 'WHO DO YOU VOODOO censored!', really catchy ( no idea how, I'm not a fan of this rap music, found this song entertaining)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:13 am

>IGN reviews

Well there just like Edge magazine.
The more they get from the publisher the higher the score, they dont rate on fun

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:29 am

DPrinny wrote:>IGN reviews

The more they get from the publisher the higher the score, they dont rate on fun
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:07 am

DPrinny wrote:Well there just like Edge magazine.
Yes, because it's only Edge and IGN that applies to, and not every reviewer ever.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 am

It's a great game I guess all the negativity came from review builds of the game. Yes there are a few bugs, but none of the are game breaking (apart from the ps3 version not saving if your online). I will give it a second play through (after I've finished resistance 3). Prob my game of the year so far (I know many AAA titles out in next few months).
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 am

That's a bit of a bonkers statement tbh. Where's the evidence for that assertion?
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:16 am

Not read in ages but I used to liek Edges scoring system

they actually used the 1-10 scale instead of doing what most nmags do and marking out of 10 but 7 or 8 being an average game

In Edge an average games used to get 5 or 6, which is an avergae score on a scale of 10

but like said I not read it in years
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:25 pm

thebear wrote:Not read in ages but I used to liek Edges scoring system

they actually used the 1-10 scale instead of doing what most nmags do and marking out of 10 but 7 or 8 being an average game

In Edge an average games used to get 5 or 6, which is an avergae score on a scale of 10

but like said I not read it in years
An average game in EDGE is still rated a 5 to this day unlike other "official publications". It certainly doesn't inflate scores which is why it won't get many "exclusive" reviews.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Nemesis wrote:

That's a bit of a bonkers statement tbh. Where's the evidence for that assertion?
Its right here in my hand

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:39 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Its right here in my hand
:lol: is it evidence of brown envelopes being exchanged between Bungie & EDGE then?