Rent Retro Games and Consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Do you think an online retro rental service is a good idea?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:06 pm

Yeah, totally fantasic service - Where do I sign up?
3
13%
Yep! that sounds ok
4
17%
Not really
17
71%
 
Total votes: 24

Pea
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Hampshire

Rent Retro Games and Consoles

Post by Pea » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:06 pm

I was stumbling when I found this site www.lmgamerentals.com

It's not up and running yet but it says that in the new year they will be renting out retro consoles and games.

I contacted them and I found that it will be available across mainland UK. It will be like other online rental stores like screen select and gecko gamez but retro.

I was told that on launch there should be N64, Master System, Mega Drive, NES, SNES and loads more available.

I've signed up to say I want more information on launch and thought I should share my new knowledge with you guys!

Happy Gaming
Pea

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Poole, Dorset

Post by markopoloman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:15 pm

Nope :?

Not really any good to me - but maybe usefull to someone.

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:19 pm

Were you really stumbling or is this your own site that you are getting a bit of free publicity for :wink:

Like Marko, I wouldn't be interested in renting but I suppose some may. Most retro titles can be picked up cheaper than a game rental at Blockbuster, so the prices would have to be extremely low to make it worth while to the customer.
Image

Pea
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Hampshire

Post by Pea » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:26 pm

I don't know how much it costs. It could be per rental or subscription like other online stores.

I'm a member of screen select, get more for your money then renting from Blockbuster and that.

I'm not the owner no, but I would like to be.

Pea

User avatar
devilman
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:59 am
Location: Sunny Stoke
Contact:

Re:

Post by devilman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:45 pm

SirClive wrote:Were you really stumbling or is this your own site that you are getting a bit of free publicity for :wink:

Like Marko, I wouldn't be interested in renting but I suppose some may. Most retro titles can be picked up cheaper than a game rental at Blockbuster, so the prices would have to be extremely low to make it worth while to the customer.
Or they'd need to have titles that were not readily available. Someone might rent a game like Panzer Dragoon Saga for example but then it's a case of trusting the customer to look after the games properly.
Image

User avatar
DonkeySpank
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:19 pm

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:00 pm

Have to admit, that's one of the most inane ideas I've seen bandied around for along time. I mean, an online retro RENTAL service?!! Come on, seriously!! AAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I mean FFS!! HAHAHAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6108
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:28 pm

I used to rent out a dream cast at 20p per night, didnt do too badly most times Id earn up to £10 per user
Watching you sleep since 1990

Coolman
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:20 pm
Location: Portsmouth

Post by Coolman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:30 pm

I don't think I would sign up, but that said I don't think its the worst idea ive heard. Price is a big factor, mega cheap it would have to be, but getting consoles aswell?! Sounds like there it could be a good hasslle free way of playing some old favs without to much outlay...maybe.

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:23 pm
Location: Essex

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:39 pm

With all but the rarest Retro titles and systems widely available for very little money, added to the enormous proliferation of all things emulation on the web I can't see how this could possibly work or turn a profit.

Why would anyone want to pay a rental fee for a common retro title along with the hassle of waiting for delivery and sending it back, when they could own it permanently for next to nothing from ebay, a car booty or their local gamestation?. If its a rarer title then people would simply steal it, plead ignorance saying they sent it back and then ebay it for profit.

Then you have the issues of maintenance, with many older games and systems needing TLC to keep them working under ordinary circumstances, without them being continually posted, and used and abused by various folk every week.

In fact the more you think about it, the more pitfalls that become apparent.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

Coolman
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:20 pm
Location: Portsmouth

Re:

Post by Coolman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:31 pm

FatTrucker wrote:With all but the rarest Retro titles and systems widely available for very little money, added to the enormous proliferation of all things emulation on the web I can't see how this could possibly work or turn a profit.

Why would anyone want to pay a rental fee for a common retro title along with the hassle of waiting for delivery and sending it back, when they could own it permanently for next to nothing from ebay, a car booty or their local gamestation?. If its a rarer title then people would simply steal it, plead ignorance saying they sent it back and then ebay it for profit.

Then you have the issues of maintenance, with many older games and systems needing TLC to keep them working under ordinary circumstances, without them being continually posted, and used and abused by various folk every week.

In fact the more you think about it, the more pitfalls that become apparent.
I would be very suprised if these things hadn't been considered. All the rentals services I know charge for items not being returned. I think that carts last better then CDs. People rent CD games all the time and they last. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6108
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:33 pm

Plus with CD's you can copy them, and unfortunatley the same can be said for tapes. You cant do niether with a cart
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
oli_lar
Posts: 4148
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:26 pm

Post by oli_lar » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:41 pm

Surely most of the consoles could be bought cheaper than the actual cost of posting them....twice

i.e. a megadrive would cost about £5 to buy but about £10 to post twice. Maybe if its with a Neo Geo AES or possibly SNES then there might be profits.

But people would probably just rob the AES..unless theres a large deposit? Which would make me unable to use the service.

Still its a nice idea

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:51 pm

The only way is Wii's way-downloading 'em
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6108
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:00 pm

Unless the rental people use their own vans to deliver and collect the consoles, It would be safer for the AES, PC-engine, Pippin, Famicom and a few others, as there cant be no confusion through postage. True the Wii would kind of iradicate the Idea, but if you are say turning 30 or 40 and want a memory of your youth at the party you would proberly want it just as you rememberd it. This proberly wont happen for me as Im keeping the Saturn till I die reguardless of what any possible future mrs. sega2006 says
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8660
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 am
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dudley » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:59 pm

Sega2006 wrote:Plus with CD's you can copy them, and unfortunatley the same can be said for tapes. You cant do niether with a cart
Oh believe me you can.

Although I wouldn't credit it as being as easy. That said, anything retro is available online anyway.

Their biggest problem is that simple postage will mean them charging comparable prices to buying a lot of this stuff.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests