What retro hardware have you acquired for free?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stvd

Re: What retro hardware have you acquired for free?

Post by stvd » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:56 pm

A ZX Spectrum 48k+ and a carrier bag of games from a friend - his little brother was chucking it.

A dreamcast and 10 games including Shenmue 1 & 2 from a guy at work! :)

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:08 pm

i was given a mastersystem (2?) the one with alex kid built in,from someone at a place i used to work at.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:38 pm

I work at a recycling centre, over the years I've got everything from a Fairchild F to PS3's for free.

Most recently I been lucky enough to have got a Wii, Jap Xbox and a PSP.

My fav find a Vectrex with games and the screen covers.

My biggest regret - sending a Bombjack coin op to it's death (I never had room for it).

Today there was a Amiga 500 boxed and a 1084 monitor boxed I could have had, but I only took a copy of The Hulk for 360 home.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Er.....bugger all. I'm never that lucky :(
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:17 pm

I was given a cocktail version of Warlords in 1991, but didn't have room for it when I moved into my old flat in 1994, so I ended up selling it for a pittance. My sister gave me an Amstrad CPC464 with green screen and a large amount of games for it.Still got that tucked away in the loft somewhere.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Ive yet to be given any hardware for free, but I've have had some nice free bits and bobs from the lovely people here :D
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:56 pm

I had a Commodore 64, with Datassette and Disc Drive, and a pile of games from an old school friend I had not heard from for years, he sent it on through a mutual friend who remembered I collected games and systems, he was going to throw it all away.

My brother gave me his ZX Spectrum 48K, and bought me a modded ZX81 for a birthday.

I got a boxed Vic 20 for Christmas once, a BBC B found in a skip, complete with it's quality leather cover, and also an Electron from another friend having a clear out.

My Spectrum +3 came from a work colleague, who's dad was clearing out his attic.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:45 pm

From my local "dump", I got a full Apple IIgs with 1meg upgrade monitor, mouse and keyboard. Commodore 64 with disk drive, box of disks and magazines. NES, controllers and zapper but only Duck Hunt. Odyssey 2 with K.C. Munchkin.

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Some mates have kindly given me some of their retro games and peripherals over the years. In terms of quality, Yoshi's Island on the GBA has to be the best. As for the most useful, the 64MB memory card for the GameCube was particularly well-recieved.

Off the top of my head, other games I've been given include Rayman Advance, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Mario Paint and Virtua Fighter 3tb. Not bad.

~

I also let a mate borrow my SNES for a week. A week turned into a couple of years, but at least he returned it with a few extra games, including Super Mario All-Stars.

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Been given loads of free megadrives and ps1s over the years. My brother kindly gave me his SNES and Jaguar a few years ago, also been given a boxed saturn with boxed steering wheel and loads of games from my wifes cosuin. My father in law used to do house clearances and would often bring me sack fulls of various games. Best freebie was my neo geo cd, bought for valentines day by my wife.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

HaZ

Post by HaZ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Only thing I've acquired for free is a fat PS2 + leads /1 controller last year. Back in the early 90's I recall giving my NES to my cousin's for free and all my games as I got a SNES for my birthday or Christmas.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:15 am

A massive box full of Amiga games (found in a loft at work).
Boxed SNES
Boxed C64
Boxed NES games & accessories
Boxed Videopac
Boxed Spectrum +2
Modded BBC Micro
Game Gear + loads of games & accessories
Boxed Game.com

I'm sure there's more, but as everything's in storage at the moment it's difficult to remember. The best thing I've had from that list is the BBC Micro & NES stuff.

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:55 am

CrookedMouth wrote:From my local "dump", I got a full Apple IIgs with 1meg upgrade monitor, mouse and keyboard. Commodore 64 with disk drive, box of disks and magazines. NES, controllers and zapper but only Duck Hunt. Odyssey 2 with K.C. Munchkin.
Nice one, my Apple IIgs (with loads of boxed games) wasn't free but was pretty cheap (NZ$26), the people I bought it from were almost apologetic for selling such an "old" computer, but I was very happy. :D
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

DeadZoo

Post by DeadZoo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:00 pm

I've been lucky , since people know I collect games and consoles they to pass them on to me.
Over the years I've gotten
A boxed NES
An Atari ST (512Stfm)
An Amiga 500
2 C64c's (one boxed)
A GBA (the original one)
A Total Recall LCD game
A load of ps1/ps2 games

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:24 pm

I was given an amiga 1200 with a old phillips tv monitor when I used to work for Game several years ago. Along with a box of floppies including theme park and sim city 2000. :P