Sesible Soccer (and World) I just don't get the love....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Sesible Soccer (and World) I just don't get the love....

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 pm

thebear wrote:
JackBurton-Me wrote:
It was just a ridiculous control system and was utterly charmless.
If by ridiculous control system you mean that the way teh ball bounced along in front of your player as opposed to being magically glued to you foot like almost every over football game right up until now

It's actually more realistic in it' way than even fifa now

Take a football outside and try to run with it never leaving your foot

can't be done

The hardest part of those games was controllong the ball

Which is exactly how it is in real football
Great post,

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:57 pm

thebear wrote:
JackBurton-Me wrote:
If by ridiculous control system you mean that the way teh ball bounced along in front of your player as opposed to being magically glued to you foot like almost every over football game right up until now

can't be done

If you have one leg.

Now, i'm not a great player anymore, I used to be as a lad, especially before someone basically ruined my knee in a tackle. Still, 15 year later I can move up and down a pitch with ease and with the ball close to be fully under control. It is all about small touches.

Controlling a ball is extremely simple, dribbling is not difficult even under pressure. Moving at sprinting speed however, it is more difficult but the ball will still be under control if you are smart.

Sensible Soccer is in no way realistic.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 am

nakamura wrote:
thebear wrote:
JackBurton-Me wrote:

can't be done

If you have one leg.

Now, i'm not a great player anymore, I used to be as a lad, especially before someone basically ruined my knee in a tackle. Still, 15 year later I can move up and down a pitch with ease and with the ball close to be fully under control. It is all about small touches.

Controlling a ball is extremely simple, dribbling is not difficult even under pressure. Moving at sprinting speed however, it is more difficult but the ball will still be under control if you are smart.

Sensible Soccer is in no way realistic.

small touches you mention is much closer to Kick Offs control system than it is to 99.9% of the other football games where the ball is glued to your foot
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:25 am

The ball isn't glued to your foot though, not in modern football games. Yes you can't actually lose it when not under pressure but that is reality. The difference is with nodern football games is that you cannot turn when the ball is not at your feet or if you do then you take poor touches and lose balance.

Kick Off has always had rubbish ball control. You lose the ball so easily and it can be impossible to turn in certain ways, that is not realistic at all.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:52 am

KO2CV wrote:Kick Off 2 has a stats boost for the home player. This may also exist in Player Manager too, where it may make more sense, but in Kick Off 2 two players ideally want a level playing field, so I removed this inequality in the code and KO2CV was born..
I'm with you on this. I hate it when football games (manager games excluded) try to replicate 'real life' conditions by implementing these deliberate adjustments like 'home advantage' and 'ref mistakes'.

Fair enough when playing against the AI - I can live with that - but to include it in player vs player is just stupid. Players want a level playing field and a fair game; it might be unrealistic for a ref to get every decision right, for example, but it makes for a better game (in real life, fans would love refs to be infalliable!). The last thing you want is for someone you've just beaten to be able to use 'ref AI' or 'home advantage stat boost' as an excuse for losing.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:28 am

thebear wrote:Take a football outside and try to run with it never leaving your foot

can't be done
Yes. Yes it can! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:47 am

Freestyler wrote:
thebear wrote:Take a football outside and try to run with it never leaving your foot

can't be done
Yes. Yes it can! :lol:
so now where knwop where the ball glued to your foot idea came from! :D :D
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:49 am

Ha love that video! :lol:

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:22 am

nakamura wrote:Yes you can't actually lose it when not under pressure but that is reality.
Somebody has never seen Jermaine Jenas play...

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:21 pm

I still think it holds up well today as long as you do not compare it to fifa 12 or pes. I did prefer Goal back in the day though on the old amiga 500. :D

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:35 am

My love for Sensible Soccer has grown over the years. Really liked it then, love it now.

I put it down to modern footy games being rubbish imo, hence the older ones seem ever better. Sensi, International Superstar Soccer etc. The last year I bought the latest football game I really enjoyed was FIFA '98 on the PS1. Since then they all seem the same. I do play the current ones, due to the fact my cousins husband only buying footy games, so at his house its the latest FIFA or Pro Evo or nothing, but I honestly dont see the "advances" from one year to the next.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:50 am

STranger81 wrote: but I honestly dont see the "advances" from one year to the next.
Then frankly you are either blind or not a football fan. :P

The changes from Fifa 12 - 11 alone are massive. :)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:34 pm

nakamura wrote:The changes from Fifa 12 - 11 alone are massive. :)
Why, have they included some playability? :wink:
StickHead wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:A modern(ish) equivalent is Total Soccer on the GBA. 2002 I think it came about. Two buttons - pass and shoot!
This was originally a Net Yaroze PS1 game that came free on a cover disk. We used to have tournaments at Uni on that all the time. Beware the 'flid' goal - excessive pirouetting in front of the keeper and defense to confuse before shooting.
Really?! I LOVED that game! Still got that cover disk somewhere! ebay here I come!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:28 pm

thebear wrote:I didn't like it much back in the day

And I still don't now, yet it alwas seems to get so much love from people

Feels like the ball physics were done based on a balloon or one of them 99p plastic balls from a petrol station

Give me Kick Off or Player Manager anyday of the week

Anyone else feel the same?
Me me me! Been saying that for years!!! Though I can enjoy the odd game of Sensi, it just aint Football.