Sesible Soccer (and World) I just don't get the love....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thebear

Sesible Soccer (and World) I just don't get the love....

Post by thebear » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:33 am

I didn't like it much back in the day

And I still don't now, yet it alwas seems to get so much love from people

Feels like the ball physics were done based on a balloon or one of them 99p plastic balls from a petrol station

Give me Kick Off or Player Manager anyday of the week

Anyone else feel the same?
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

pratty

Re: Sesible Soccer (and World) I just don't get the love....

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:45 am

I admit it's been hard for me to get into it today, but back in the day there was nothing like it. I had Kick Off 2 on the PC and thought it was terrible at the time.

Sensi's gameplay was fairly basic but a large part of the appeal was the options and depth of the single player game. It was also highly customisable for the time too.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:01 am

I played the XBLA version of SWOS recently and during the first few games the only thought in my mind was "God, we played some real crap back in the day".

After a few matches the game started to click and I ended up enjoying it for what it is but compared to today's footy games Sensi and Kick Off 2 are absolutely nowhere. They're just not "football" really. It felt like I was playing some sort of abstract pong style game with a thin veneer of football over it. The lack of ball control was ridiculous. The AI was hilarious. The incredibly limited range of what you could do on the pitch was ludicrous.
I used to really like Sensi and Kick Off 2 back then. Played them to death. There's no way I'm ever cranking up Kick Off 2 again. I want my glorious memories of the game to stay the way they are.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:05 am

Love it, maybe my favourite game ever - the one that's kept me most entertained from the day it was released right up until now. That's some longevity!

I loved the footy aspects of Player Manager as well, but can't play it now! Just can't get a grip. Same for KO2 as well.

One word suns up SWOS - Fun. Just a ruddy fun game.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:14 am

Never EVER liked Sensible Soccer... except for the Bulldog Blighty version with the hand grenade for a ball.

Just didn't get the fuss at all.
ImageImage

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:47 am

I liked it because it had a HUGE pitch, which allowed for more creative play. Plus it wasn't "about" the graphics at all. It was just pure football.

All these modern games may have a fully rendered Wayne Rooney to look at in extreme close-up as he scores another goal, but that's not what football is about.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:09 am

Freestyler wrote:scores another goal, but that's not what football is about.
Isn't it about ham-acting pansies tripping over their own toenails and acting like they've been shot?

ImageImage

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 am

Fishsta wrote:
Isn't it about ham-acting pansies tripping over their own toenails and acting like they've been shot?

as aopposed to big tough rugby and fake blood capsules?
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:35 am

Freestyler wrote:All these modern games may have a fully rendered Wayne Rooney to look at in extreme close-up as he scores another goal, but that's not what football is about.
If that was all a modern football game actually had I'd be agreeing with you. But as it is you're completely deluded if you think a game as crap as Sensi offers real football. There's absolutely no realism whatsoever in Sensible Soccer. At best you've got an incredibly crude impression of what football is all about. It was all we had back in the day and it worked for us then but now the game is undeniably laughably sh1t in the context of what came after it.
Much as I despise the modern FIFA games it's totally obvious those games offer an accurate simulation of what football is all about. Not just visually but also in what the players can do and a how a match can be played out. To say they offer a lesser footballing experience than Sensible Soccer is just stupid.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 am

thebear wrote:
Fishsta wrote:

Not a fan of Rugby Union either.

Now Rugby League, where players play on with dislocated fingers and shoulders (having them popped back into place, of course), that's a man's game.
ImageImage

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:03 am

Sensi isn't about realistic simulation (the way Mario jumps isn't realistic, but I'm not going to moan about it), it's about fun. And having wayne rooney (or any modern player) just puts me off playing new games with their ridiculous goal celebrations, over-elaborate tactics and crazy number of buttons. Shoot and pass, that's all you need. The rest is skill!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 am

Football is a load of old w@nk. But Sensi Soccer is bloody brilliant!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:25 am

Not a fan of Rugby Union either.

Now Rugby League, where players play on with dislocated fingers and shoulders (having them popped back into place, of course), that's a man's game.[/quote]

Mind you I was at the West Ham v Watford match where Stuart Pearce spent 5 minutes limping up and down the touchline trying to "run off" what later turned out to be a broken leg :shock:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:10 pm

Sensi was good, but Kick Off was far superior.

Crunchy is right though, modern football games are way better.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Always preferred Kick Off but for both games practice makes perfect for control, anyone playing it for the first time would find the control very difficult indeed!