What games do you hate that everybody else seems to love

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

Re: What games do you hate that everybody else seems to love

Post by snowkatt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 am

thevulture wrote:Bulletstorm-Looked sweet, but crass humour, shallow gameplay put me off, but then never a fan of Duke Nukem 3D or Serious Sam.

MGS4-MGS3 and Peacewalker were far better games, did'nt require a Blu-ray and numerous instals, just to satisfy a frustrated game designer who really wanted to get into the film industry.

i didnt know square developed the mgs games
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 am

Two that instantly spring to mind are.....Doom and Oblivion.

Just didn't like either of these :(

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:54 am

^ If you mean Doom 3 then I'm with you, otherwise...huh. Classic Doom was meant to give some people motion sickness, though.

I'm another person who can't see the appeal of JSW beside the power of nostalgia.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:59 am

Love the Doom and Quake games generally, but Quake 3? If I want the on-line experience I'll play on-line. Some kind of plot would've been a bonus.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Any fifa/pes..erm sports games in general.

Grandtheftautos- i tried to enjoy them but the repetitivness and vast vast areas to explore or get lost in is far too daunting to jump in for a quick game.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:40 pm

If Sureshot's list of "popular threads and FAQs" is to be believed - and I'm sure it is, clever chap that he is - this is the 11th thread on a general theme of "what games do you think are overrated/what games did you hate that everyone else loves".

Anyway ... the Last Ninja. But only because I was crap at the controls and had no patience. So it's my fault really.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:If Sureshot's list of "popular threads and FAQs" is to be believed - and I'm sure it is, clever chap that he is - this is the 11th thread on a general theme of "what games do you think are overrated/what games did you hate that everyone else loves".
Any thread that invites you to moan about games is always going to go down well on here. Surprised it's only the twelfth version tbh. Feels like it's the thirtieth.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 pm

DeadZoo wrote:Jet set willy , seriously , its a quirky platformer with a couple of zany level names, a broken difficulty level and rubbish floaty controls..I've never understood why people go nuts for it.
Totally agree with this, and I would add manic miner to it as well, if you had a Spectrum back in the '80's where I lived, you had to live and die by these games, I utterly loathed them.

Agree with Grand Theft Auto series, bad controls, and just did not grab me, although I really liked Chinatown Wars, the only one though.

Fifa games, this p**s take has been going on for far too long, a new one every year, with rarely more than a few tweeks between most of them, I know someone who religiously buys every one of them, and complains about the lack of innovation since the year before, although he was happy with Fifa 12.

Need for Speed, see above.

Sonic the Hedgehog, I can't put my finger on why these do nothing for me.

Fable, not nearly as clever as Peter Molyneux thinks they are.

Angriper

Post by Angriper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Phoenix Wright... I just cant seem to get into them =\

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Call OF Duty.. any of the series! i just can NOT get into them, despite all the hype and everything...i just can't seem to enjoy them, now Battlfield bad company 2...love it!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Some people love Bad Company 2 on hardcore...I hate it :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:01 pm

I guess I'll start with a game from my favourite series:

Sonic Adventure 2. I don't know why it's heralded as a high point in 3D Sonic games. Gameplay styles that aren't anything like Sonic? Check. Drab, pretty much city-only environments? Check. So many rails it plays like Jet Set Radio? Check. Standard "collect chaos emeralds in-story so you can turn Super Sonic in the super secret final battle only" mechanic? Check.

Cave shmups. I love the bullet hell genre, but for some reason Cave games just tend to annoy me rather than entertain me. Give me Senko no Ronde any day.

Angry Birds. Seriously, it's basically a Flash game with no depth whatsoever. It's fun for about two minutes.

Banjo-Kazooie. It's a collect-a-thon, I don't think I need to say any more.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:29 pm

All Zelda games
All Mario games
Any Metroid
Any Tomb Raider game
Kirby in any form
pretty much every RPG ever made

llj

Post by llj » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:42 pm

adippm82 wrote: Agree with Grand Theft Auto series, bad controls, and just did not grab me, although I really liked Chinatown Wars, the only one though.

Bully/Canis Canem Edit is my favourite Rockstar game utilizing the GTA engine.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:15 pm

Tetris - I admit that I'm not a big puzzle game fan anyway, but I find Tetris hard and boring. I know a lot of people say it's beauty is in it's simplicity but for me it's just too basic. Even on the original Gameboy the medium was capable of so much more, so it surprises when I see Tetris considered among the greatest games ever made.

To be honest I feel a bit that way by a lot of puzzle games, as someone who rarely enjoys them they seem like a waste of potential. For example on one Gameboy cartridge you have an expansive world and epic story in Link's Awakening, on another cartridge (arguably with the same potential) you have.... falling blocks.

Not knocking other people for enjoying it, just never had any fun with it myself.

Viewtiful Joe is another game I've struggled to get into, but I don't hate it. I'd much rather play that over Tetris any day.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823