Dragon Age II

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

skylarking

Dragon Age II

Post by skylarking » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:40 am

What's the general opinion of anyone here who's played this? I love Dragon Age: Origins (have nearly finished three playthroughs) but the sequel seems to have got quite a bit of negative feedback, although a lot of it seems to be related to "consolification" mentioned on another thread here in relation to Skyrim.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

Freestyler

Re: Dragon Age II

Post by Freestyler » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:39 am

The only thing I'd heard about this game was the fact that it was supposed to be just an "Average" game that quickly gained notoriety for having its Developer caught posting a 10/10 gushing "Review" of it on Metacritic.

I guess it's one of those games that would have just been received mildly, if slightly muted, but the furore surrounding the scandal made "everyone" have a negative opinion of it. Kind of like Spore and its DRM.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:53 am

Not really helpful but I have completed the first one and had DA2 on my shelf for a good few months and not even bothered to fire it up yet. My mate really like it though, and he has played Dragon Age far more than me, only criticism was it got a be repetitive towards the end, but if you are aware of that before starting the game, then it should be okay.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:27 am

I finished an epic 90 hours playthrough of DA:O, Awakenings and all the DLC a few days before DA 2 was released. I went straight into it, and found the differences in interface(it's a mixture of DA:O and Mass Effect) to be very off putting.

It looks 10 times better ( PS3 version here) and I'm sure it's a decent enough game but I'm going to wait a while before going back to it so DA:O isn't so fresh in my mind.

I played about 2 hours of it and it hasn't been off the shelf since.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:07 am

I've got the ultimate edition of the first one, its the first Bioware game I've not really liked. Still need to get round to finishing it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 am

Having finished both Dragon age (Including all the add-ons) and DA:2 I can honestly say that DA:2 is the poorer game.
After enjoying Dragon Age so much I was disapointed to find the DA:2 is more like a cut down "Dragon Age lite" for people that can't be arsed to play an "epic" as it were.
You could blame it on "consolification" but I like to blame it on thickies moaning that Dragon Age was too much for them to understand and as such the people with the money thought they might sell more if they Dumbed it down a bit.. ;)

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:18 am

Opa-Opa wrote:You could blame it on "consolification" but I like to blame it on thickies moaning that Dragon Age was too much for them to understand and as such the people with the money thought they might sell more if they Dumbed it down a bit.. ;)
Yeah, the "consolification" thing isn't the reason why Dragon Age 2 is a lesser game when compared to its predecessor. It was definitely dumbed down to make it more accessible to the mainstream, specifically the people who don't normally play role playing games. The emphasis on story instead of player freedom and choice. The game would have been just as dumb if it had been developed on the pc if it had the same target audience.
Nobody really moaned about Dragon Age being too much for them. It's more a case of marketing suits trying to increase sales after the fact. They saw lots of people buying the game but a lot more people not buying the game and reduced the complexity in the sequel to pull in the non-buyers. It's happening to a lot of games.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:51 am

I've only played the demo of DA2, but I can see why it got panned - it played like a cheap action game and seemed to have infinitely respawning enemies. However, I think the changes made were done in order to create a more streamlined game regardless of platform, rather than being an attempt to cater for console players specifically. In other words, consoles aren't to blame if it's a bad game; DA:O wasn't dumbed down at all, and was a brilliant game that sold well, so the incentive for Bioware to dumb down DA2 must have been something other than to cater for consoles.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:21 pm

I played the first game through to the end, i tried to like it, and i gave it a massive chance by sticking with it right the way through even though i wasn't enjoying it, but i hated the game by the end, probably should have just let go and played a better, more enjoyable game. I really didn't like the way i had to nurse the other characters health that were in my party all the way through the game, so annoying. So the thought of DA2 is a depressing one for me.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Tried demo.as fan og Bioware's games, but this just was'nt for me.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:20 pm

I completed DA 1 and enjoyed it, but not enough to play it again. I've never felt compelled to get the sequel and the negative press that it received only helped make my mind up that I did the right thing in not buying it. Just play demons souls instead.

Eat your nans pants

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:39 am

What exactly, if anything, is different between the Dragon Age games then?

I'm a big fan of buying the whole franchise and playing them one after the other, rather than taking a break between titles. Are the differences jarring or mostly cosmetic?
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:42 am

played the demo
found it as arse if not more so then the first one
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:43 am

Freestyler wrote:What exactly, if anything, is different between the Dragon Age games then?

I'm a big fan of buying the whole franchise and playing them one after the other, rather than taking a break between titles. Are the differences jarring or mostly cosmetic?
judging from the demo its more diablo hack and slash
rightclick
right click
right click
right click
swear loudly cause you died
f5 or f9 depending on where quick load is mapped
right click
right click
hey cutscene
repeat
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Freestyler wrote:What exactly, if anything, is different between the Dragon Age games then?

Well, it's been a while since I played DA2, and I didn't finish it either. I finished DA:O four times in all - the first time I was just getting used to it, then in the subsequent 3 playthroughs I played as a warrior, then a mage, then a rogue.

I didn't mind DA2 at first and quite liked the faster pace of the combat. Thing is, I was quite worried when I heard that they were altering the combat because I particularly liked it in the original, especially on PC where you had the ability to move your party simultaneously while in pause mode, which resulted in many an instance of mobs being lined up by tanks so Morrigan could nip round the side and deliver a strategically placed Cone of Cold. But I actually liked it in the sequel to begin with, and to be fair it took a fair amount of time in the original until it really became interesting because you needed to level up quite a bit before you got a decent array of skills and talents.

But over a course of time I got a bit bored with it. I was playing on hard to begin with and wasn't finding the going too tough (I tend to pause all the time in combat - I really don't think you can play the game all that well any other way, although perhaps someone with better reflexes than me could manage it), until that giant rock bastard thing in the Deep Roads (an Arcane Wraith, was it?) kicked the living daylights out of me repeatedly at which point I had to scale it down to normal (even then it was no pushover). One thing I really got fed up with was the fact that you could defeat one wave of baddies and then another load would drop from the roofs. This is probably partly due to the fact that I think that enemy groups tend to have quite a few mobs that don't have a lot of HP, perhaps in order to make combat a bit faster, but then to compensate for that they have to send a couple more waves along just so you don't get an easy time of it. Thing is, you don't see it coming so by the time a second or even a third wave comes along, you may have loads of abilities already in cooldown because you didn't anticipate that you'd have to save them for a subsequent wave.

Also, there's not much (if anything?) in the way of crafting. You discover resources on the map, and you then have to go back to vendors in Kirkwall to "order" potions, poisons and so on. That's rubbish. Maybe it was supposed to be noob-friendly, but I'm an RPG noob really, and with a bit of effort I picked DA:O up (and let's face it, it has nothing like the complexity of Baldur's Gate, for example). But isn't it actually more of a faff to have to go back to a vendor to buy potions and poisons than to have the ability yourself? Oh, and I seem to remember you can't choose your NPCs' armour. Or at least, there's something like one or two sets of armour in the game world somewhere which are specific to them, so you can't just kit them out in whatever's going. And let's face it, DA:O wasn't exactly a loot-aholic's dream, next to the likes of Torchlight or all those Diablo clones. The romance stuff was quite strange - it seemed as though you could just hit on other members of the team at any time, or vice versa - with little or no obvious preamble.

If I've got my wires crossed about any of the above, my apologies - it's been a while since I played it, but the truth is that I just didn't really get into it that much. DA:O was already pared back enough from the beardiest of RPGs, I thought, and DA2 made cutbacks in areas which really didn't need it, IMHO.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)