Playstation Plus & PSN Updates!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

Playstation Plus & PSN Updates!

Post by Rayne » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:13 pm

I thought it would be a cool idea for us to post notifications on new PS Plus & PSN Content, along with thoughts and opinions!

Sound off, fellow PSN fans :D
Last edited by Rayne on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thevulture

Re: Playstation Plus

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Had it for the 4 wks Sony gave it to me as a freebie for the PSN fiasco, but for myself, it was much like my exp.with Xbox Gold...never felt there was anything i was missing by not having it, nothing i'd want to be paying out for, even though cost per month would be minimal.

Also, there were reports coming in after last PS3 Firmware update of PS+ users saying it'd knackered the 'Auto-update' feature.Not sure if this has been resolved, or it's something you plan to use, thought best to give you a 'heads-up' so to speak.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:53 pm

I thought this was about the PS1 magazine called playstation plus :) It was a bit of a 90's lad mag wannabe but kind of fun, for some reason it was my magazine of choice at the time, I had a decent collection but only one issue has survived to 2011.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:17 pm

same as thevulture,i only activated the free 30 day's to try the uncharted 3 beta and that's the only reason i would want it is for beta's or demo's,and they would be few and far between.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Got the free trial myself, and bought a couple of games at PS+ prices, but I don't feel the need to pay for the subscription. I don't buy enough download only games to make it worth while. Not really sure what the other advantages of PS+ are.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Cloud saves & full game trials are a good selling point for me.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Rinoa wrote:Got the free trial myself, and bought a couple of games at PS+ prices, but I don't feel the need to pay for the subscription. I don't buy enough download only games to make it worth while. Not really sure what the other advantages of PS+ are.
System updates.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/ ... ate-v3-70/

Non-paying PS3 tramp gamers don't get them apparently.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Only had te trial but am considering renewing it as I like the demos and te cloud save function is appealing.

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Automatic trophy sync & cloud saves sounds nice, but still not really worth the subscription fee for me.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Never personally been remotely interested in Playstation Plus, take this months offerings, Assassins Creed 50% off, making it £8, I have seen physical copies cheaper than that, and how old is that game now?

Assassins Creed 2, you get the downloadable content for free, sounds good, but again getting the game for £19.99, I have also seen this for far less in store, Modnation Racers, £19.99, I bought it from Curries in Physical form for £8.98.
On top of the subscription fee, this does not seem like much of a deal to me, I can get free avatars and wallpapers too, WOW!

And the thought that if I did subscribe and got some free games, if the subscription lapses, I cannot play them until it is renewed, not interested in that.

Auto syncing and updates, well come on now, it's hardly any hassle to do it manually is it?

Getting early demos, and the cloud feature mildly interest me personally, but not enough to pay a fee for.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:01 pm

It was good to have for nothing for a month (and to get the free games), but with games costing more to download than to actually own, plus downloading them uses up my drive space, I really don't see the point.

The only good bit (and the part I'm annoyed at not having) is the on-line save storage. I want this on its own. I'd pay a sensible amount for it, but I don't see why I should have to pay to be able to keep my own save game data on the games that the thieves have decided to steal my own saves from me by locking my save game. That should be illegal.

The auto update is a bad thing IMO. I want to be able to read what it does and make sure it doesn't cause a problem before updating.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Rinoa wrote:Got the free trial myself, and bought a couple of games at PS+ prices, but I don't feel the need to pay for the subscription. I don't buy enough download only games to make it worth while. Not really sure what the other advantages of PS+ are.
Easier just to pop over HERE:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/ ... explained/

Gives you the full monty on what you get once they'd had their pound of flesh. :wink:

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:07 pm

It doesn't appear to be that popular with the casual gamer, but I enjoy all types of games so I always find something on there to keep me interested. The freebie games are usually worth a try.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:16 pm

I only care about online play, so no sub from me.

Damn you microsoft!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

dynastygal

Post by dynastygal » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm

I have it but lately it's been crap...just price reductions and not very good ones at that.