Atari hates Atari fans

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: Atari hates Atari fans

Post by kiwimike » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:13 am

DPrinny wrote:Heres news for you

It stopped being Atari years ago.

The current "Atari" is just raping the name more than Game Freak and the name Pokemon on anything that can be sold
Amen Brother. Yes, that name belongs in proud videogame legend & history. This company is not that.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:22 am

said company is ex infogrames
cant we just calle them the company formerly known as inforgrames (tcfkas) or ex inforgrames
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:45 am

snowkatt wrote:said company is ex infogrames
cant we just calle them the company formerly known as inforgrames (tcfkas) or ex inforgrames
Henceforth referred to as 'Le Atari'.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 am

Ha, didn't take long for martyg to clock the interview over at Gamasutra and respond. :lol:
I nearly linked the interview here this morning because it seemed too much of a coincidence that Atari execs were waffling on about the relevance of the 2600 to the casual mobile market at the same time as a 2600 site is being squeezed by legals. I thought better of it in the end.

But now we're hearing that Bedlam Games have apparently gone down the crapper. This is the dev team that put out the incredibly mega-bugged Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale on the pc and 360 XBLA for Atari. The long, long delay in getting the game patched to a workable condition is probably explained. Atari customer support on the game's myriad issues have been stunningly sh1t, and in an industry where crap customer support is pretty much the norm that's really saying something. The whole thing has been shabby from start to finish.

So I'd like to add my voice to crowd and say that Atari should just censored die now before they embarrass the name any further.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:27 am

well I said a few months back that I was going to burn all my recent Atari related stuff over there raping of classic games names.

Anyone want to donate some current Atari stuff to the bonfire?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:53 am

No, but I've got a new logo you can print on T-shirts and burn...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:54 am

Liamh1982 wrote:No, but I've got a new logo you can print on T-shirts and burn...
Over 9000 hours in paint

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:10 pm

If Nintendo ever pulled any of this crap they could go suck my balls :lol: I'd rather go host the site in Russia. Really gets on my nerves when a big company does this, it's not protecting an IP either just vindictive.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

martyg

Post by martyg » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:16 pm

resident paul wrote:
Don't worry about it I didn't meant anything sinister about my post except on every Atari thread I know you come up the true facts! :)
No problem, just wasn't sure if it meant people are annoyed with my posts here or something. :)

Crunchy wrote:Ha, didn't take long for martyg to clock the interview over at Gamasutra and respond. :lol:
The whole situation combined with the commentary of yet another newbie to the brand finding themselves at a management position there kind of got to me, what can I say? ;)

Most of the people that work there actually have very little clue about the brand's history. I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he actually was working at the very same Atari from years ago.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

martyg

Post by martyg » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:33 pm

Just an update. Starsoft Berlin was sent an apology letter calling it a misunderstanding. Andrew Davie relinquished atari2600.org, didn't want to fight it.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Sad news, as much as I understand it is not the same company anymore it still upsets me that they can act like this under the legendary Atari moniker.. Some people need to have more respect, towards us fans and the company name they represent!!

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:46 pm

I would love to know how if they are so protective of the Atari name they havn't gone after Atari Age who are not only probably the biggest website to use the Atari name but also host thousands of roms.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:22 am

It's Andrew Davie's domain name, he's owned it for years without problems before and so he shouldn't have to just hand it over. Yes atari2600.org is a main domain name and I guess these are what Atari are now really only after, a domain with just the system in the url. But if Atari wants that domain name so much, they should at least make a very generous offer to purchase it of him, and allow him to change it to something like atari2600world.org or something similar.

People squat on large domain names all the time if they're fortunate enough to buy it before others, meaning they buy them and don't use them with the intention of profiteering by reselling it. The guy who owns the domain isn't a squatter and doesn't profit from it, purely fan-based which has actually been effective advertising for Atari. Recently an unscrupulous guy bought amywinehousefoundation.com in a shameful bid to sell it to the newly founded charity to help other addicts, he was condemned by the media for it. His ISP also told him to hand it over, but he isn't because he hasn't broken any laws. Being the case, it also shouldn't be illegal with trademark names too.

So Atari should have bought atari2600.org when they had the chance to and they missed out, it's their own fault for not being quick enough.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:58 am

FatTrucker wrote:
snowkatt wrote:said company is ex infogrames
Henceforth referred to as 'Le Atari'.
not merde atari ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:21 am

What about Shitari? Or Aturdi?