Atari hates Atari fans

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Atari hates Atari fans

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Why do companies do this?

Atari is shutting down Atari Retro gaming sites.

http://atariuser.blogspot.com/2011/08/a ... e-and.html
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

resident paul

Re: Atari hates Atari fans

Post by resident paul » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:50 pm

I'll bet 'martyg' will say something about this!
Last edited by resident paul on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:52 pm

necronom wrote:Why do companies do this?

Atari is shutting down Atari Retro gaming sites.

http://atariuser.blogspot.com/2011/08/a ... e-and.html
We have all just been discussing this elsewhere and I will make the same comment I made when I first heard the news:

Atari should be f**cking ashamed of themselves

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:55 pm

To$$pots

Eat your nans pants

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Heres news for you

It stopped being Atari years ago.

The current "Atari" is just raping the name more than Game Freak and the name Pokemon on anything that can be sold

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Because of shenanigans such as this I'm now going to start referring to the Atari of today by their proper name, Atari S.A., so not to risk heaping further shame on a once great company.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:11 pm

That's interesting, because this guy's blog HERE quotes Tom Kozik (Executive VP of Online and Mobile);
Truth be told, why in the world would I ever want to go after my fans? These are people who absolutely love our classic old arcade games...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:24 pm

r0jaws wrote:That's interesting, because this guy's blog HERE quotes Tom Kozik (Executive VP of Online and Mobile);
Truth be told, why in the world would I ever want to go after my fans? These are people who absolutely love our classic old arcade games...
He's since left Atari S.A. for pastures new and seemingly taken that smart thinking with him - http://www.linkedin.com/in/thomkozik
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 pm

So the article the OP linked states,

"Atari are demanding Davie begin arrangements to handover atari2600.org to them as the domain name contains the Atari brand ("Atari"), in its entirety, in the domain name."

So does that mean Atari S.A. will be going after AtariAge too now?

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Something about this story doesn't ring true. Somebody with a bit of an anti-Atari grudge stirring the brown maybe?
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 pm

There's a thread broadly about all this at AtariAge - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/18 ... ari-today/

You may wish to skip ahead to page 5 after reading the OP to avoid wasting time reading stuff that's of little use.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote: Atari should be f**cking ashamed of themselves
I said it earlyer.

Atari as they are now are not the Atari we fondly remember

they are using the name and the classic games names and ruining them

martyg

Post by martyg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:26 pm

resident paul wrote:I'll bet 'martyg' will say something about this!
Not sure hot to take that. Regardless, I'll say no different than what I said over at AA. This isn't the first time this has happened, and it's usually the sign of some new overzealous junior lawyer there trying to cut their teeth. Atari 2600 is not trademarked or copyrighted in the US (at least it's not in the TESS database), so I'm not sure what they're thinking. And no, as anyone who watches their financials knows, they don't have a large war chest - they're hurting financially right now which this is also usually a sign of.

And so people know - this isn't Atari SA, it's being done under Atari Inc./Atari Interactive, the subsidiaries out of New York. Atari Interactive is the actual owner of the legacy Atari properties, and is basically folded together with what's left of Atari Inc. (same office space and just a handful of people).
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 am

martyg wrote:
resident paul wrote:I'll bet 'martyg' will say something about this!
Not sure hot to take that. Regardless, I'll say no different than what I said over at AA. This isn't the first time this has happened, and it's usually the sign of some new overzealous junior lawyer there trying to cut their teeth. Atari 2600 is not trademarked or copyrighted in the US (at least it's not in the TESS database), so I'm not sure what they're thinking. And no, as anyone who watches their financials knows, they don't have a large war chest - they're hurting financially right now which this is also usually a sign of.

And so people know - this isn't Atari SA, it's being done under Atari Inc./Atari Interactive, the subsidiaries out of New York. Atari Interactive is the actual owner of the legacy Atari properties, and is basically folded together with what's left of Atari Inc. (same office space and just a handful of people).
Don't worry about it I didn't meant anything sinister about my post except on every Atari thread I know you come up the true facts! :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:07 am

Stupid move by Atari, why on earth do companies do things such as this ? These great atari fan sites etc help 'spread the love' for Atari's games, specially the old classics. During the 'quiet' years of the 90's and early 00's these fan sites helped with the history etc of Atari, keeping their name out there. People were still interested and Atari then re-release old classics and get a lot of sales, thanks in some way to these fan sites being so active.

Shame