The Castlevania series.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nakamura

The Castlevania series.

Post by nakamura » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 am

Over the past few weeks I have been playing a lot of Castlevania, mainly Lament of Innocence on PS2 and Harmony of Dissonance on GBA. Have since completed both and it has reminded me how utterly rewarding the series is and it is a prolific series too.
SotN is obviously the benchmark of the series but the others compliment each other rather well. Harmony is whip weilding combat and fast paced, Aria of Sorrow has the cool soul system but a slower pace. Lament of Innocence was utterly and suprisingly brilliant with lovely visuals and some awesome combat.
Lord of Shadows was also decent but the low frame rate hurt my eyes.

So far I have.
Super Castlevania IV
Symphony of the Night.
Circle of the Moon.
Harmony of Dissonance.
Aria of Sorrow.
Lament of Innocence.
Curse of Darkness.

I plan on picking up the three DS games also, complete one of them way back when but cannot remember which.

Any other fans?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowNeku

Re: The Castlevania series.

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:49 am

Yes its one of my favourite series ever since i bought Dawn of Sorrow on the DS when it was released. I had no prior knowledge of the series before and bought it just on the recommendation of my older brother who basically said "some magazine said this was good". Kinda spontaneous for me!

The mix of 2D sidescroller platforming with RPG elements instantly had me hooked and its yet to shake its hold. Since then ive worked my way backwards through the series and bought up the following DS titles, SotN being (like most people) the favourite of all.
There 2 different types of Castlevania game: The RPG exploration style and the classic stage based ones and i like both really, with Castlevania Chronicles being the highlight of the classic style for me.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 am

I'm a big fan of the series with me preferring the older games which were level based rather than the metroidvania style games that have been more common in recent years. What I really liked about the games is the great mix of action and platforming (challenging yet not to difficult) with a nice variety of returning boss characterrs (my favourite being the Grim Reaper - Death). Pretty much all the games had great soundtracks and I especially liked the fact that Castlevania 3 and Dracula X both featured alternate paths/exits and boss fights.

That said the last 2 DS games - Portrait of Ruin and Order of Eclessia have bridged the gap between the 2 styles of gameplay - including a variety of smaller area's to explore along with the huge Castle. Order of Eclessia remains my favourite of the metroidvania style games because of this, and because its actually a challenging game (unlike several of the others which are far to easy in my opinion).

I actually really enjoyed the new reboot that was released on current gen consoles last year. Again it used smaller levels rather than one huge map to explore and had some excellent set pieces (apart from the Titan fights which were more annoying that fun). I'd have preferred it to not have so many puzzles as they really slowed certain levels down in my opinion but other than that I really liked it. The extra challenges and DLC were both great fun and its one of the few games I've bothered completing 100% (or in this case, 110%)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:42 am

haha! Wow...I thought i knew your screen name from somewhere...you just posted on RC the same thing! :D Oh well, guess I'll just copy/paste.

I'm just going to come out and say that I'm probably the site's Castlevania expert/biggest fan. Here's a list of the games in the series I own:

Castlevania 1 (GBA-boxed)
Castlevania 2 (NES)
Castlevania 3 (NES)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis)
Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSX)
Castlevania (64-with manual no box)
Castlevania Chronicles (PSX)
Akumajo Dracula (Sharp X68000-boxed)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA-Boxed)
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA-boxed)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA-boxed)
Castlevania the Adventure (GB)
Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge (GB)
Castlevania Legends (GB)
Castlevania Lament of Innocence (PS2)
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
Castlevania Rebirth (Wiiware)
Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
Castlevania: Judgement (WIi)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (XBOX 360)

Working on trying to own them all. I'm actually working on a video you'll be seeing on the site very soon about Castlevania 2, the black sheep of the family.

I think my least favorite is Lords of Shadow. Just for the fact that it really isn't a Castlevania game.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 am

nakamura wrote:Any other fans?
Yes.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:50 am

[
nakamura wrote:Any other fans?
no

never cared much for castlevania me and platformers dont mix
best thing about castlevania for me is the great music in 2 and 4
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DeadZoo

Post by DeadZoo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am

I only really started liking them when they went all meteroidvania from SOTN onwards.
Having said that I still have a soft spot for Castlevania Adventureon the GB ,
Even if its difficulty level is impossibly broken.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Agree with Shadowman, Order of Eclessia is probally my favourite, I really need to hunt down the PSP version.. The only Metroidvania Castlevania I don't like is the first DS one that gimmicky symbol drawing boss battle's spoilt it..

I've finished every Castlevania from Symthony of the Night onwards, almost completed the first Nes game, never liked the RPG Simons Quest much either..

Is Haunted Castle classed as a Castlevania game, as I won that on the PS2.. Sadely the only other game I own is Order of Eclessia, would love to get all the GBA Vania's again
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Miketendo wrote:
I think my least favorite is Lords of Shadow. Just for the fact that it really isn't a Castlevania game.
its a god of war clone with a castlevania jacket

blegh i like god of war even less

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I am a fan, though I fully admit I never got past the NES iterations…
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I've only got Circle of the Moon (or, in the UK, Castlevania :V). Pretty fun, but never really got into it.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm another big Castlevania fan as it's my absolute favourite "classic" franchise along with maybe Metroid. I've beaten almost all the games (save Simon's Quest, N64 games, Bloodlines, GB games, and ReBirth) and just recently managed to grab all the GBA and DS titles I was missing.

However, as much as I enjoy and love the metroidvanias, Rondo of Blood is still the perfect classic experience - branching paths, brilliant soundtrack (the best of the whole series imho), tight control, interesting bosses and levels, and incredible art. Symphony of the Night will always hold a special place in my Castlevania dungeon as it was the 1st one I played to completion.

As for the portable games, IGA kept improving with each new entry until the masterpiece that Order of Ecclesia is. As for the 3D games, the PS2 entries were decent enough and fun to play culminating with Lords of Shadow - a solid and endearing new beginning to the series.

My faves in chronological order are:

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:06 pm

apparantly the music track i like is called bloody tears
the nes orginal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THavp6QL ... re=related
and the snes update http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQex8CB9eA

not sure which i liek better the snes soudn chip is capable of some amazing music but the nes isnt given half as much credit as it should be if that track is to be believed

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:15 pm

I've been scanning a load of mags for my site of late and one issue had a special on all 3 NES games plus the SNES one. Funny thing is only the 4th gets a decent rating, even Dracula's Curse scored as a frustrating below average game :(
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:21 pm

snowkatt wrote:apparantly the music track i like is called bloody tears
the nes orginal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THavp6QL ... re=related
and the snes update http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQex8CB9eA

not sure which i liek better the snes soudn chip is capable of some amazing music but the nes isnt given half as much credit as it should be if that track is to be believed
have a listen mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp917TAD ... re=related
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)