Hawkeye

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fred83

Hawkeye

Post by Fred83 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I wasn't great at this game.But it was quiet fun.The parallax scrolling in the background was very impressive.The music was memorable making use of the C64 legendary sid chip.Even giving the player a chance to do their own theme remix during loading.Hawkeye 2 was planned but never seen a release-

http://www.gtw64.co.uk/Pages/h/Review_Hawkeye2.php
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sscott

Re: Hawkeye

Post by sscott » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Thought you meant Wimbledon!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Remember buying it, looked ace but didnt play so good...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Its one of those Thalamus games that Zzap overhyped a little. I bought it and because of that I had to get my money's worth from it. Decent enough, but good graphics and music mask fairly average gameplay. Persistence pays off and with practice it becomes much easier so you'll see more of the game, but whether you'll want to is another matter. I enjoyed it for the brief spell it was my 'new' game and have fond memories of it, but its not a game I return to now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:46 am

It looked good, but all the visual/audio pazzazz in the world doesn't make a great game. I wasn't keen on the demo so never bought it. It was average at best. Flimbo's Quest being very similar too if I recall.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 am

I played the demo level that was given away on the ZZAP! covertape a lot, but when I actually got the final game I was disappointed there wasn't more to it... Yes, the presentation was fantastic (particularly the "talking head" in the intro) but at the end of the day it was left, right, shoot, fall into pit or crash into large enemy, rinse and repeat.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:52 am

Picked it up after seeing it get great score in Zzap 64 (96% ?), but had seen it get mixed reviews elsewhere, so was'nt surprised to to find gameplay did'nt match the visuals and music.

Lot of adverts in Zzap 64 for it, as done by new developers, Boys Without Brains-Was'nt there a compo.running? Gold tape or something? :?

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:53 am

Game was ultra-slick rubbish with great music. Zzap! was *heavily* pro-Thalamus (understandably!) but it was so over-obviously over-SOLD to its readership, ridiculously so, I remember reading the 'Gold Medal' review with incredulity, so fake it felt. Reading it made me feel for the reviewers, who had to fake this sh!t, lest they might be sacked if the truth be said!!!! :(

I was only about 12/13 at the time but the demo alone proved it was just a slick, parallax side-scrolling graphics routine with tacked-on cool music, incredibly unfulfilling, super-shallow, repetitive gameplay. A 6/10er, MAX.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:16 am

To be fair, most other mags were positive about Hawkeye, just not that positive. (It got, IIRC, around 80% in TGM and 8/10 in CU.) Part of the problem with Zzap! was also its skewed high-end ratings/awards system, which tended to up-rate really great games (so they'd get Gold Medals) and very good games (so they'd get Sizzlers). It always struck me that GMs should have been 90% or higher (or maybe 95%) and Sizzlers 80%+.

On Thalamus, I'd largely agree about the scores, but it's interesting that a couple of games fell short. Hunter's Moon was surely a GM game and why Snare fell short of Sizzler status, I'll never know. It was a cracking game and far better than the other Thalamus game around the same time (Retrograde).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:42 am

Seem to recal it getting a hammering in C+VG review.

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Absolutely loved this and still play it today. As already said, the graphics are really amazing with finely detailed sprites and parallax scrolling backdrops that were as good as anything else at the time. The music is some of the best I heard at the time with really funky tunes. Gameplay was spot on too with a good difficulty curve but proved too challenging for me on the later levels. I bought it on Disk so the game felt like one continuous load as the between level loads were taken up with the 'charging' sequence and the scoring display. This was one of the best presented games at the time too, with many great touches throughout.
Add to this the terrific music-maker before the game starts and this is one of the best titles on the C64.

Here's my scores;
Presentation - 100%
Graphics - 97%
Sound - 96%
Hookability - 95%
Lastability - 94%
Overall - 98%