Stupidest thing you've done thats damaged a game or machine.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

snowkatt

Re: Stupidest thing you've done thats damaged a game or mach

Post by snowkatt » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 pm

i cant say i ever bit my controllers
i threw them ( and demolished 2 once during bloody roar 2 and the other with smash tennis ) but never bit them
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Currently finding out I've been a massive dunce when stacking games/DVDs in horizontal stacks of over 3ft high (don't have enough shelves!!!!)

Just found my PS2 Yakuza 2 beneath such a stack, the box is all crushed-in, proper convex. Thankfully, the disc is cool, just a pity I've f*cked the box/cover up.

Gravity. :evil:

Ads3

Post by Ads3 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:32 am

I was about 8 or so and had a spectrum. It crashed as I was playing 'Chaos' and I got really annoyed so kept pressing the reset button for about a minute, it went bang and never worked again and my parents couldn't afford to get it fixed :(

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 am

My mate has damaged two of my consoles: he tripped over a controller wire andknocked my N64 over, which corrupted my Perfect Dark save, and a few years later he pulled my Gamecube off a shelf by yanking the controller too hard and damaged one of the memory card flaps. Thank god for wireless controllers these days!

Im no better though, I was drinking a beer and playing dreamcast but I did the idiot thing were you dont leave any space in the top of the bottle and create a vacum when you drink, so I put the beer down next to the dreamcast and next thing I knew the bottle had overflowed and my dreamcast was swimming. It shorted the power but luckily I had a spare dreamcast which I caniballised the parts from.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

thl

Post by thl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:32 pm

When playing the Master System several years ago, I used the multi-voltage adaptor to replace the broken official one. However, it didn't go as planned as I accidently use it at the wrong voltage that resulted in machine broken down. When I checked the voltage meter: 12V! :shock:

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:33 pm

When I was a teenager I took my Commodore 64 out for a meal at a fancy restaurant(a greasy dunghole if i'm being honest) to thank it for the many hours of pleasure it had given me.

Unfortunately it ordered the prawn starter and suffered from food poisoning the next day :roll:.

Nowadays I wouldn't do anything as stupid as taking my games machine to a fancy munch place.

It'll go to mcdonalds or it'll starve :-)
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:34 pm

When I was a teenager I took my Commodore 64 out for a meal at a fancy restaurant(a greasy dunghole if i'm being honest) to thank it for the many hours of pleasure it had given me.

Unfortunately it ordered the prawn starter and suffered from food poisoning the next day :roll:.

Nowadays I wouldn't do anything as stupid as taking my games machine to a fancy munch place.

It'll go to mcdonalds or it'll starve :-)
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:34 am

:lol:

The really funny thing is you did it twice! ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:00 am

I do a lot of surfing on my rubbish smartphone,which ends up in many spelling errors,double posts and saltwater and sand in my phone ;-)

I'll get my coat.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:52 pm

ulala wrote:The only thing i have blown up is my C64 (seems to be a pattern on this forum!)

Again it was the expansion port at the back that was my downfall, as with so many before me. However i was not silly enough to attack it with a paperclip/ scissors for use as a soft reset switch, oh no, it was due to one of the worst design flaws ever on any machine!

See that little metal wire next to the connector? Short circuit city!!!!!!!

What the hell was it even for?
I don't know, but you must have surely read my silly paperclip post a page back from yours :oops:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:02 pm

Too tight to pay the £3 at the time and buy a proper reset switch for my C64, used the bent paper clip, blew that. Put wrong power supply to a Jaguar (thought:well plug fits, must be ok...), fried it. Dropped a PC monitor base onto my PSP screen, smashed it (had no idea where to get it replaced, so ended up buying a new PSP at the time).Smashed a Dreamcast in 'Random Battle Rage' when playing Skies Of Arcadia after stint of night shifts.

Friend of mine dropped a C64 tape of mine in the loo after he'd just taken a p*ss (it fell out his coat pocket) and then had nerve to fish it out and offer it back to me!.Ugghhh....

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Sixteen Plus wrote:
ulala wrote:The only thing i have blown up is my C64 (seems to be a pattern on this forum!)

Again it was the expansion port at the back that was my downfall, as with so many before me. However i was not silly enough to attack it with a paperclip/ scissors for use as a soft reset switch, oh no, it was due to one of the worst design flaws ever on any machine!

See that little metal wire next to the connector? Short circuit city!!!!!!!

What the hell was it even for?
I don't know, but you must have surely read my silly paperclip post a page back from yours :oops:
lol, found it. greyed out certain areas.

I was just a young foolish teen, and not that wordy and bright then. Did I expect pity and compensation or something? Worse still they didn't even bother answering my silly question at the end :oops: :lol:

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:34 pm

I remember I broke my original Atari 800xl.
After spending hours trying to load a game and getting an error at the end repeatedly I punched the keyboard and inadvertently snapped the main board in twain.
Gutted.
Was nearly 6 months til I could afford a new one...
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:15 pm

tachi wrote:I remember I broke my original Atari 800xl.
After spending hours trying to load a game and getting an error at the end repeatedly I punched the keyboard and inadvertently snapped the main board in twain.
Gutted.
Was nearly 6 months til I could afford a new one...
Feel your pain there, Ex-800XL owner myself, horrendously slow tape loading and to get a squelch sound, followed by...Boot Error (often so close to nearly loading in), was soul destroying.

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:46 pm

I had Snes with an import adaptor and streetfighter II and my cousin pulled the cartridge off the adaptor while the machine was still turned on. Machine refused to work afterwards. My aunt orederd a new mmachine from the catalogue and my dad swapped the insides and we sent the one from the catalogue back.

I also made a grown man cry once. my friend had just got a brand new 360 a few weeks after release. He brought it back to mine and I set it up, but I left the AV cable out on purpose. Well as expected it gave the red light error message and my friend thought his machine had the RROD and practically burst into tears. Struggled not to laugh out loud when he blamed everything from the powere socket in my house to the way I plugged the power cable in.
Life is What passes you by while you are too busy making plans.

Maturity is Overrated.