Stupidest thing you've done thats damaged a game or machine.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

IronMaidenRule

Re: Stupidest thing you've done thats damaged a game or mach

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:45 pm

I killed my brothers ZX Spectrum when I was very little, must have been 4 or 5. I wandered up to his room to watch him play games and I pulled on a cassette case, but placed on said cassette case was a full glass of lemonade, which when pured over a ZX spectrum made a rather fancy sound and stopped working :lol: , luckily being so young I got away with it and he was blamed for not watching what I was doing. :mrgreen:

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:39 am

The C64 comes with no soft reset switch.
So after Commodore User magazine published an article on how to create a crude one by bending a paperclip and touching (if I believe) pin 1 and pin 3 on the user port, it would soft-reset the machine leaving the machine code intact to enter cheat POKE's for games. They did state to do this at your own risk.

Being foolhardily adventurous, of course I then decided the risk was worth it, and attempted to connect the paperclip ends onto different pins to test what other new crazy effects it might have. There was one I remember.

KaBOOM! :shock:

Anyway, the repair costed around £30. To add further insult to injury being such a crazy kid in those days, I then decided to write to the letters page in CU to warn people of the dangers about messing around with the userport. I dunno, maybe I expected a star letter or something. Instead CU just gave me a deserved stern ticking off stating "After all we did warn you", they must have wet themselves laughing. Why I couldn't just keep my misadventure to myself I have no idea. Well anyway from then on I decided to play safe and bought an action replay cartridge after that :oops: :lol:

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:05 am

The hinge and part of the case on my son's DS Lite cracked a couple of years ago, so I bought a replacement case and hinge kit off ebay, thinking "Well, I used to repair laptops, how hard can it be?". Backed up with a few different Youtube videos, how hard could it be?

*sigh*

Taking it apart was the easy bit. Putting it back together? Well, i spent over half an hour trying to thread the wifi cable through the case alone. the case also didn't fit on easy, and first time round I realised I hadn't plugged the bottom screen in properly. To cut a long story short, I'd managed to:

- tear the ribbon cable for the top screen
- damage the touch screen
- leave the power button and one of the shoulder buttons misaligned so they didn't work

And probably other things too.

Eventually I sent it away for repair :D

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Never done anything I would consider truly stupid.

Mostly the usual throwing the joypad across the room/at the floor in frustration, which occasionally lead to my trusty old MD being pulled onto the floor. Never did anything worse than crack the casings on a few pads though.

Oh, and my mate once dropped his Speccy 48k out of his bedroom window to his brother outside. Who dropped it. Amazingly it survived.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:26 pm

When I was a kid I got shitty when the casio boxing calculator game beat me, so I threw it into a wall, smashing the screen. I cried. :lol:

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:02 pm

I nutted my astro wars after I died when I was just about to clock it. Yep, badly cracked screen. Gutted. Still worked though :o .

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:52 am

MikeFishcake wrote:The hinge and part of the case on my son's DS Lite cracked a couple of years ago, so I bought a replacement case and hinge kit off ebay, thinking "Well, I used to repair laptops, how hard can it be?". Backed up with a few different Youtube videos, how hard could it be?
I did a similar thing with my daughter's iPhone. What would have been a cheap repair by Apple ended up costing me £140 for a replacement from them after my DIY failure.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:39 am

i once had had a snes game with no plastic casing on it, ended up putting it in the machine backwards!
snes was fine but the game never worked again, didnt care really as it was only pit fighter!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Servbot

Post by Servbot » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:23 am

Worst thing i've done is brick someone elses PSP :)

daysleeper

Post by daysleeper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 pm

When I was in my very late teens (or early twenties) I had a jap and pal psx set up right next to eachother, so I could use swap the tv cable between them. But soon I also swapped the power cord by mistake and fired up my jap psx with 220v instead of 110v. The grey/white smoke made me realise that it was time to hunt for a new jap psx :)
Visit my videogame collection online at http://home.scarlet.be/gamevault

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Older brother gets Game Boy - Christmas '92 :D

Younger brother borrows said Game Boy - early '93 :?

Younger brother thinks Game Boy is dirty. :shock:

Younger brother puts Game Boy in washing-up bowl full of hot water and Fairy liquid. :(

Older brother finds Game Boy has half a screen of dead pixels. :cry:

bsg

Post by bsg » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 am

thevulture wrote:Fried a Jaguar by plugging in a MD (think it was MD) power lead
SNAP - well, sortt of - a few of the lads were round one day bugging me to see systems and games they had never used... and one of them p[assed me the wrong power cable through the back of the shelf - cue magic black smoke and friend in the dog house for quite a while after!! 8)
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Fiddlesticks!! I've just broke my DS Lite! :(

How? I was reapplying the screen protector, which I had washed, and a rogue drop of water somehow got between the touchscreen and the screen underneath. So I took the DS Lite apart to remove it, which I did, but then I apparently damaged the delicate ribbon/ribbon connection, and the touch screen doesn't work anymore.

Arggghhhh! Why can't I just leave things alone?! :x
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

dste

Post by dste » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Mate of mine back in the day managed to break an unofficial SNES pad by falling backwards off a chair, said pad went flying the other way and smacked against the floor.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

bsg

Post by bsg » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:31 am

thevulture wrote:Fried a Jaguar by plugging in a MD (think it was MD) power lead, just to see if it'd work.
This^^^^„ exactly this :( bloody buggering it was a spanker as well, mint in box...
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel