Stupidest thing you've done thats damaged a game or machine.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rolan

Stupidest thing you've done thats damaged a game or machine.

Post by rolan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Well today I got bored and decided to have a go at the tabs on my 32x to let me play Japanese megadrive games through it and I made a bit of a pigs ear of it getting some knife marks on the system and making it look a bit beaten up (it WAS immaculate) when all i had to do was to file the tabs down slightly...

I've also blown up 2 Snes' (one was multi region :oops: )by daisy chaining accesories into it (super game boy + action replay, then a tristar and a game genie)... I also managed to mess up my Multi Mega's sound by jamming the AV cord into upside down so it can only do sound through the headphone jack now...

anyone else had any disasters?

alistair_thomas

Re: Stupidest thing you've done thats damaged a game or mach

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Punched the screen of my original Game Boy whilst playing Mortal Kombat - not a good idea.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Blew up my PC-Engine by getting too excited to bother with the step-down thing. Plugged it in, switched it on, BOOM!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Fried my GX4000 because I lost the UK - Aus electricity adapter & tried to use a normal universal Australian power adapter. The little Amstrad didn't like that all that much. I THOUGHT I'd set the voltage correctly, but apparently not...

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:03 am

Jap MD Virtua Racing, telly had gone off so I just pulled the cart out of the MD. MD's power light was still on. Cartridge never worked again, at all. :(

Also, me and the ex had got a big, sturdy bed. One day, she was at work and I was off, I was on the old Xbox, and I was playing lots of games for very short periods, and I went out for a p!ss, came back in and jumped onto the bed with a flying elbow in some vague impression of some WWF/WWE wrestler, *actually* landed on my Spikeout disc, cracked into bits it was. :(

Absolute WORST thing I ever did as a kid was lend my PC Engine to Damien R******* in 1989, he f*cking RUINED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:35 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Blew up my PC-Engine by getting too excited to bother with the step-down thing. Plugged it in, switched it on, BOOM!
lol, yeah I did that twice, once to my Playstation and once to my N64. You would have thought I would have learned my lesson the first time! :lol:

the_retro_bear

Post by the_retro_bear » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:41 am

Friend of mine repeatedly used to punch games cartridges in fits of game rage. The worst being when he set upon SFII on the SNES just after paying £65 for it. It had a 2inch crack in it and he repaired it with some solder type stuff.

Same guy also bent his copy of Silpheed on the Mega CD - which surprisingly still worked.

My worst was trying to uninstall Internet Explorer from my PC. I eventually had to reset it to factory mode when I realised it wasn't going to work.

Bringing Past To Present at http://www.retrosection.com

On YouTube - watch my lame gamesplaying at : http://www.youtube.com/TheRetroBear

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:47 am

Dropped the base of a PC monitor onto my then new PSP-Smashed screen.

Smashed up a DC in fit of anger after stupidly deciding to play Skies Of Arcadia right after whack of night shifts-1 random battle too many.

Fried a Jaguar by plugging in a MD (think it was MD) power lead, just to see if it'd work.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:06 am

Has anyone ever flicked the voltage switch on a PC power supply? I have. While the flame and noise are impressive, I still advise against it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:25 am

Dropped my Atari Lynx, massive crack on the screen. It was a helluva lot of money back in the day, I still get shudders when I think about it. :(

I had a psp umd of Twisted Metal where the plastic cover had come apart, I tried to glue it together & got superglue all over the disc. :oops:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:40 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Blew up my PC-Engine by getting too excited to bother with the step-down thing. Plugged it in, switched it on, BOOM!
I'm actually angry at you :lol:

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:24 am

I fried my NGPC by forgetting to change the settings on my multi voltage adaptor.

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:31 am

When I was 6 I'd just got a used Gameboy, I lost in Tetris and squeezed the screen so hard in anger that 1/3 of it was destroyed with a black mark. When I became aware of that, I started crying :lol:
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:05 am

I put my original Oric 1 into a vegetative state by attempting to rewire a joystick while it was plugged in and switched on. It still powers up and occasionally reacts as you'd expect then randomly goes comatose or has fits :(

I still feel guilty about inflicting that pain. I'd love to have it repaired.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mr Kipling

Post by Mr Kipling » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:52 am

Tried to massage away a stuck pixel on a PSone LCD screen using my thumb and a fair amount of pressure..

At least I know how to dismantle one now. :lol: