The Street Fighter Thread.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Tue May 30, 2006 7:28 am

Does anybody know when the new SF games is coming out on xbox live arcade ?
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Tue May 30, 2006 6:12 pm

"Holy Championship Edition Batman!!"

SFIICE-ISM M. Bison Infinite Combo

"I know Robin, it's more wrong than my chalk eyebrows."

Ouch, looks like those rapid fire LP's and increased damage for the CE-ISM is the Peter Andre side of 'Insania' o_0

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:23 am

To save folk the effort i'm uploading all the 3S vids i've pinched onto YouTube. There's a max limit of 100MB and 10mins, so i'm going to edit some of the larger stuff down to fit in time but there's tons of smaller stuff to go up before hand.

There's tutorial, combo, glitch, tornament and just matches to see, hope some of you find some use in it.

Link ---> http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TheShend

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:05 am

This might sound out of place here, but I never got into any of the newer Street Fighter games. I much prefer Street Fighter II: Champion Edition (only for picking the bosses) - I really liked the original Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, which I still play constantly.

I live in Preston which isn't far from Blackpool. I used to live in Blackpool and not far from me there was an arcade (on the promenade) filled with retro games - every evening I used to go in and play Street Fighter II: Champion Edition with anyone who was there and fancied a challenge. I once had a tournemant with a group on Japanese students and I nearly won (came 2nd - the other dude was "ticking" which is a proper underhand tactic). Now I only go in on Saturday's (living in Preston now - which is a 30 minute car ride away) but I still have these contests of SF2 - I have been beaten, but not by many. The arcade owner doesn't mind too much cos I'm bringing in a lot of revenue. Best thing is though, the machine is set to 10p per credit. WOW!

They also have Mortal Kombat II at this arcade but I never got on with the MK series of games. Give me SF2 any day of the week.

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:19 am

Excellent chief. :D Also the release date for the Xbox LIVE Arcade Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting has been set as 30th July 2006. I wonder if you'd considered how you'd fare with access to national comeptition ^_^

It's been a long time coming really that game on LIVE Arcade. I wonder when they'll get SF:AC on backwards compatablity or do a SFIII for LIVE Arcade?

Ah well.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:54 am

That means I'll have to buy an XBOX and/or XBOX 360.

Although I'm bloody good at SF2, there will be players who are better then me. But if (or more likely WHEN) I get an XBOX/XBOX 360 I'll see exactly how I fare.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:24 am

woody.cool wrote: (came 2nd - the other dude was "ticking" which is a proper underhand tactic).
What is this? And, more importantly, will this enable me to actually win a game at SF2?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:38 am

ticking is when you pull off a repetitive move (or repetitive combo) that once the opponent is hit he cannot block, if he tries to block it won't work (SF2 delay bug - exisits in all versions) also if the player blocks and gets caught blocking this repetitive combo/move they be be kept blocking even if they try to do anything with the pad until the cheating bugger has stopped ticking.

It is called ticking cos of the ticking noise caused by the repetative sound effect played.

One example is to pick Ken, trap the opponent into to corner then make sure you are as close as possible to them, crouch down, and rapidly tap light kick, Ken will move back a couple of pixels between each hit, when you are just out of range press hard kick (power sweep) the opponent will fall over at this point. Now move as close as you can get (trapping your oponnent closly into the corner) and repeat, until you have won the game. The only way out of this is for the opponent to pull of a special move whilst they are getting up (from being swept over with the heavy kick) but before they are actually standing (kinda like buffering your special moves) or to pull off a throw (before they are back on their feet)

If you play in a tournament or a proper 2-player of Street Fighter II with anyone who is really into the game "ticking" is considered as CHEATING!
If you start ticking (and/or are caught doing it) you have to give your opponent a free hit.

The following are considered underhand:

Ticking - mentioned above

Repeated special moves when trapping opponent in corner - thrown your opponent into the corner, trap them there with E Honda's hundred hand slap, Chun Li's Lightning kick or Blanka's Electricity.

Repeated low blows - stand still and do nothing, when they get close, power sweep (crouching hard kick with Ryu, Ken or Guile)

Picking Vega and using all special moves all of the time - this is cheesy!

Picking Sagat, Ryu, Ken, Guile, Dhalsim or Chun Li (SF2 Turbo only for

Chun Li's fireball) and throwing repeated fireballs/sonic booms/tiger shots - knwon as a fireball fight!

Picking Balrog and pulling off lots of charging punches and thus trapping opponent in the corner with moves that even blocking won't stop the damage.

Cheesing the opponet with M.Bison's Psycho Crusher repeatidly.
The only ways to stop the Psycho Crusher are to Fireball, Dragon Punch, or a Kick or Punch the the head - otherwise E Honda's belly flop will stop the psycho crusher - but you must land towards the head.

Blanka's ultimate combo - trap opponent in corner, Electricity, Jump toward, Heavy Kick in air (kinda Drop kick), Cannon Ball Roll (a.k.a. Rolling Attack) - Now repeat again & again & again & again & again etc.
This can be done similar with E Honda.

Repeated Dragon Punch (Ryu & Ken) - Ryu & Ken are invincible when performing the Dragon Punch (only with SF2 Champion Edition and SF2 Turbo - with the original The World Warrior they are still vulnerable), but during the take off, when comming back down they are still vulnerable.

Basically, anything that absolutly no-one could possibly beat (unless they are bloody good) is probably considered cheap, cheesy or just cheating, this will cost you a free hit and/or the game.

There are a few bugs that exist in all the SF2 version.

If you pull off a Cannon Ball Roll and/or Sumo Torpedo (Blanka/E Honda) against Ryu/Ken and they are in the middle of the Dragon Punch (but higher than you) theory would suggest that Blank/E Honda would carry on underneath to the other side - on SF2 this is not the case, Blank/E Honda will immideatly abort their move and there will be a split second delay where Blank/E Honda cannot move (v.short) but enough to leave the player open to attack - strange bug - undocumented but I have seen this.

A Fireball nullifies a Fireball in most cases but if you pull off a fireball when close to another one (literally breathing distance from it hitting you) it will go through the fireball - this also speeds up both fireballs. Undocumented - very common.

When playing against Vega if he block 8 attacks or more his claw will fall off. Documented - not a bug but more of a game "feature"

E Honda can sumo torpedo over a low tiger shot - undocumented - not really a bug but a blatent abuse of the games psychics!

Also Ken can do an endless spinning kick, pull off the spinning kick and keep tapping hard kick repeatidly (as if doing Chun Li's Lightning kick) - documented - only works on some versions of SF2CE - documentation say s it only works on The World Warrior - this is incorrect. Also pulling this off prevents you from carrying on the game. Hits from the opponent will take health but Ken will still carry on doing the move, when someone dies and/or the timer runs out - he will carry on endlessly - if you stop tapping hard kick at this point it will have no effect and the machine will be caught in a Ken cyclone kick loop. The arcade machine will have to be reset !!!

There are a few more - Dhalsim has the abilitiy to teleport in the Turbo version only (documented) but un-officially he can do it since the original version of SF2: The World Warrior - I haven't done it myself but have seen it done. On the Turbo version he teleports to wherever you have told him but on the SF2: The World Warriot & Champion Edition he will remain invisible, on some early PCB revisions of The World Warrior this will cause the game to reset or sometimes crash.

Through pratting around with cheat devices and/or cheats on MAME you can attempt to pick the 4 bosses on "The World Warrior" (they weren't implemented in this version as playable characters) but if the you choose CPU character as a boss they will appear as a black shadow, if you pick YOUR character as a boss the game will crash/reset.

Hope this gives you guys some tactics and some rather strange SF2 oddities to try out - there are more bugs in SF2 but these are the ones I can remember at the mo!

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:41 am

I couldn't get this onto YouTube due to the 10min limit but it's one of the best videos of its type i've seen and I wanted to share ^_^

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9052914467

Also, if you liked Streets of Rage this may well be of interest to you :D

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:18 am

10 min limit? Is this new? Or are there just ways around it? Cause i've watched a bunch of South Park episodes on Youtube and they're nearly half an hour long.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:42 pm

Ah, YouTube, useful for wondering whether they'll die first by running through all their money (they've already lost £3m with no income) or by being sued into oblivion by every copyright holder in the world.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:59 am

I got SFZ:Fighters Gen last Saturday and it rocks. Have to say I prefer SFZ3 Upper to SF3. :oops: (I'm by no means a hardcore fighting game fan though). I love the fact it's got all the original Street Fighters in it, I like the familiarity with the updated gameplay I guess. :?

Hyper Street Fighter 2 is a bit of a let down for me tbh. This is probably because other than SF, I'm only really familiar with Darkstalkers series. The SFIII and .vs ism's being fairly new to me. Also, only allowing access to the dramatic battle stages is also a bit of a let down and the lack of a proper vs CPU mode is dissapointing. Still a superb extra though.

I'd recomend people pick this compilation up though. 8)

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:26 am

woody.cool wrote:ticking is when you pull off a repetitive move (or repetitive combo) that once the opponent is hit he cannot block, if he tries to block it won't work (SF2 delay bug - exisits in all versions) also if the player blocks and gets caught blocking this repetitive combo/move they be be kept blocking even if they try to do anything with the pad until the cheating bugger has stopped ticking.
It's also been used as an excuse for an opponent's rubbish skills for years. :roll:

I had a guy once accuse me of "dogging" which is essentially the same thing. I then stood in the corner, let him approach me, blocked all attempts and then slaughtered him. Oh, the memories. I bet after that he went home and cried to Mummy :wink:
真・豪鬼

kavsy

Re:

Post by kavsy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:13 am

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Does anybody know when the new SF games is coming out on xbox live arcade ?
It's out on wed the 2nd!

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:31 am

Link: Fight for the Future Vol.7 Ryu
Game: SFIII: 3rd Strike
Type: Combo video
DL Format: Direct & YouTube
Size: 44MB
Files: 1
Discription: It's been a while but finally KYSG has released the 7th volume in his disgusting combo video series for 3rd Strike!! He's taken it to a whole new level with the absurd to the rediculous.

There's 409 videos on my youtube profile now and it's only going to get alot larger. So i've decided to start setting up some Play Lists to make things easier.

But before I do, what sort of play lists would people want?

In the mean time, if you do want to look for something specific then i've tagged the videos in a number of areas:

'Master Class' : Shows you some move, combo or set-up specific to a character. The number differs between characters, Sean has none whereas Urien has 35.

'Tutorial' : Will draw up videos showing you how to use a character.

'Combo Video' : What it says on the tin, these vary from the match possible to the match-impossible.

'Tournament' : Any matches from a tournament.

'SBO' : Any videos associated or of the Super Battle Opera tournament.

'EVO' : Matches from or for the Evolution tournament.

'POPY', 'Uriden' and 'Acho' : JPN matches from particular arcades.

'FFA' : Family Fun Arcade in the US, good players.

I've also included the famous or very good players as well so you can hunt for well known and pinch their top strats!! 'Sugiyama' and PinoAB7 for Necro, YSB for Hugo, Roshihikari for Yang, RX, Pierre or Messatsu for Urien, KSK for Alex, Kokujin for Dudley, Yamazaki for Twelve and so on.

That's pretty much it, this list will grow to include things i can't currently fit on such as the Gamers Vision Ranking Battles etc. But just remember to add 'TheShend' at the end of whatever you're searching for it to come up from my profile.

Happy hunting.