The Street Fighter Thread.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:03 am

Aye you need some local competition or if not there's LIVE* which has provided me with a great outlet to improve against higher skilled players i'd otherwise have no hope of playing against.

There's an arcade in manchester which hosts SFIII:3rd Strike as well as Tekken 5, CvS2 and GGXX if your local otherwise i know London has some also.

I know what you mean when some titles got very silly like versus stuff like MvC2 with the 3 characters, 5 super bars etc. A riot and as fun as that game is, it doens't lend itself to fair competitive play when there's infinites abound :?

*Original xbox only atm :(
hand_solo wrote:btmups
I read that as butt em ups >_<

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:31 am

Wheres the arcade in manchester? Im not going to go down for competitive play, but the only one i ever saw (that was anything like half decent) was the one in the Trafford centre. I might be going at some point to do some christmas shopping, a trip to the all you can eat chinese, and then maybe pop and see my brother... if im not too busy (or full)
I'd heard there was on around Picadilly but i never saw one (i was a student there) :(

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:48 am

The arcade boss?

Take a peak -----> HERE and over HERE too :P
TheShend wrote:Piccadilly Amusements, Piccadilly Square, Manchester.

Hidden very well at the back of a jungle of fruit machines you will find:

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike (JPN version)
Tekken 5
Capcom vs SNK 2
Guilty Gear XX
I go in for a practice now and then since i'm a pad user normally and you get the odd challenge now and then. It's very friendly with some wide ranging skills. I've been toyed with and i've toyed with people :P If you want a knock about it's fine for that as well. But everyon'e polite ^_^

I think it only gets busy with the regular 'heads' late afternoon till early evening weekdays and very busy friday evenings and the weekend.

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:43 am

Ha, ive been in there too! Much as you've written in one of those posts, we got a bit of a staring from the fruit machine players, i think because we were obviously students. So we went next door to the chippy and got stared at by the scalls in there :D Next time i go to manchester, and depending who i go with (i can imagine the tears as i tell my mates that WE ARE going into that arcade) i'll pop in for a few plays

Best dig out my DC arcade stick and get some practice before hand

EDIT: I read in one of those other threads you linked to that you were asking about putting a saturn pad through a 360. As i understand it theyve got a usb port at the back. I've got a usb converter for my satun pad, i'll give it a try when i next got round to my mates house (he's got a 360 btw), got to be better than buying a new pad for every machine

TheShend

Re:

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:48 pm

Ben wrote:Ha, ive been in there too! Much as you've written in one of those posts, we got a bit of a staring from the fruit machine players, i think because we were obviously students. So we went next door to the chippy and got stared at by the scalls in there :D Next time i go to manchester, and depending who i go with (i can imagine the tears as i tell my mates that WE ARE going into that arcade) i'll pop in for a few plays
Depending on when you go I might see you in there, i'm at Salford Uni you see and I need to go through Piccadilly station to get home ^_^ SO an stop at the cabinets won't hurt :D
Ben wrote:Best dig out my DC arcade stick and get some practice before hand
Nice one, have you seen these by any chance? They're not mine obviously but a custom stick with 360 pad guts would do me fine ^_^
I really want to play well on a stick >_<

Edit: Click the names ;)

Byrdo:

Dreaded Fist:

Finkle:
Ben wrote:EDIT: I read in one of those other threads you linked to that you were asking about putting a saturn pad through a 360. As i understand it theyve got a usb port at the back. I've got a usb converter for my satun pad, i'll give it a try when i next got round to my mates house (he's got a 360 btw), got to be better than buying a new pad for every machine
Cheers for that, if i can get a saturn pad to work that'd be great. :P

But my prayers regarding a stick, a Hori stick to boot, for the 360 came true :shock:

Hmmmmm

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:08 pm

mega street fighter 3rd generation foo fighter X alpha bravo 59th strikeforce :roll: :roll: :roll:

simple:

Street fighter II turbo, on the SNES with the BEST SFII controller:

merman

Post by merman » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:27 am

I like the DC arcade stick for playing Soul Calibur myself.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:24 am

Saturn pads >>>>> SNES pads>>>>>> Everything else. 8)

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:22 am

Check these matches out. Some great come backs and pastings.

Click here and then click on the following on that site ^_^

Friday 12/09/05
Jap 3rd Strike matches from Game41
Ryu vs Dudley
Ken vs Remy
Ken vs Urien
Chun-Li vs Ryu
Ryu vs Remy
Chun-Li vs Urien
Ryu vs Urien <---- Great match
Chun-Li vs Remy <---- So close >_<

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:30 pm

I ordered the Japanese version of SFIII Third Strike for the DC years ago, before I'd even played the game (though I had played the two previous incarnations of SFIII). I still have it and I still reckon it's the best 1 on 1 fighter ever made. SFII and some other games are more accessible but Third Strike stills plays and looks the best overall. Even if Gill is a cheating bast...

I also have Garrou: Mark Of The Wolves for the DC... also very good.

If it isn't Capcom or SNK I don't bother. Bring on SFIV! (Please, someone...)

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:27 am

I think Capcom USA now own the rights to the Street Fighter series, so if there ever is to be a Street Fighter 4 I don't hold up much hope of it being any good. :(

Shend, those vids are awesome! Thanks!

you might be interested in http://www.super-play.co.uk/ ? don't think there are many fighter vids at the moment but loads of cool replays. 8)

Ben

Post by Ben » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:24 pm

"If it isn't Capcom or SNK I don't bother"
Guilty Gear can have its moments, there's something not quite right about it though, cant place what :?
Anybody tried the Naruto games on the GC, not got the depth of the 2d classics, but a pretty good 2.5d fighting game
Also Project justice on the DC was an obsession for a few months, class game that could really do with an update.

Shend, a friend of mine tried his saturn ps2 pad through a converter into his 360, and had no joy. Dont hold out much hope for the proper saturn pad (Forgot to take my converter round). Given the PC nature of the 360, its surely only a matter of time though

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:42 pm

Cheers for trying that out Ben chief. In the meantime help yourself to this....GVision RanBat #3 :D :D :D

It's the 3rd JPN Ranking Battle. Haven't seen it myself yet but these tned be very good 8)

Father Christmas has come early for the SFIII fanboys ^_^

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:49 am

I wonder if Mr Sczenenpiack knows about this ranking battle down under, Sydeny :D Ranking Battle 2.2 Torrent & Ranking Battle 2.3 Torrent. OzHadou they're called and they've got a website, and here's the link to all the RanBats.

Go on and enter chief :P

Edit: The matches are really good as well, Yang, Alex, Dudley and Makoto do rather well ^_^

Oh and there's a 3on3 Tourney from HKSF ^_^ : Click for torrent file!

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:22 pm

It's been down a while but finally it's back up. The 3rd Strike .gif site. Take a gander at the animation, tis lovely :D

Oh and please take time to pull this torrent of some truly exceptional 3rd Strike play!

On a side note, anyone been watching the FIst of the North Star game from Arc Systems*? Looks completely insane but alot of fun, just needs a bit more of the old animation!!

Here's a JPN Ranking Battle (torrent) It's pretty crazy 8)

*of Guilty Gear fame?